Author Topic: Stranglers  (Read 26324 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Stranglers
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2016, 02:35:24 PM »
Surely some form of Health and Safety, or at least good taste, warning should have been issued prior to pressing Play on that clip?
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »
Stranglers on tour in spring next year and with Ruts DC too!  8)

http://louderthanwar.com/stranglers-announce-march-2017-tour-ruts-dc-special-guests/
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
Much more like it!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
Much more like it!

With Ruts DC supporting I reckon I'll go to one or two.
But over at the Stranglers 'Burning Up Time' fan forum there's nothing but whinging.
''Oh dear, they're playing all the most familiar, classic tunes and aren't including that obscure 'B' side I love that nobody knows so I'm not going' and various tedious posts like that. ;)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2016, 01:59:21 PM »
''Oh dear, they're playing all the most familiar, classic tunes and aren't including that obscure 'B' side I love that nobody knows so I'm not going' ...

Which is exactly why I hate most of my former fave bands now...  ;)

Well I guess I'm glad not to be part of that forum. Burning up too much time anyway.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2016, 10:15:11 PM »

''Oh dear, they're playing all the most familiar, classic tunes and aren't including that obscure 'B' side I love that nobody knows so I'm not going' ...

Knobs!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2017, 08:53:44 AM »
http://www.thestranglers.net/?p=14407

Immediately after the last gig of the British tour in March, we seized the opportunity to catch up with Baz and ask him a few questions. Although we focused mainly on the tour, we also wanted to look forward to the upcoming summer festival season, including just confirmed trips to Europe and the Antipodes, and  what the future holds for the band.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
From the band's FB, memories about the "No More Heroes" tour:
40th anniversary of '77 #26: 40 years ago today, at the climax of the huge No More Heroes tour, the band played the first show of a five night run at London's iconic Roundhouse. Less than a year before that, they had been appearing low on the support bill for major artists at the venue. Now they were selling out a string of gigs there as headliners. JJ explains how it felt: 'I remember the sweet sense of revenge after we had been sabotaged at the Roundhouse by Patti Smith's crew the previous year. They switched the PA off so we were just listening to ourselves in the onstage monitors. The bemused audience couldn't hear us and walked off. I was told that week that we had broken the long standing record held by The Who and The Stones for consecutive nights at the Roundhouse. It was kind of a vindication!'

When asked what else he recalled of those gigs, he relayed various memories from the time. JJ: 'I remember that I was still living at West End Road with Wilko (Johnson). Also, I remember a young Scottish student at the stage door asking to put his rucksack in our dressing room. He was a budding journalist and that was the beginning of the 'Ronnie Gurr' situation with The Stranglers (note: involving friendship, a poor review of Black & White and then kidnapping on the Euroman tour!). I remember that I was knocking off Soo Catwoman (well known punk face in London) a couple of nights that week. Debbie Harry came backstage at one gig and she had a 'JJ' badge on! I had a 'Blondie' one on but I can't comment if things went further... During those gigs, I bought my black leather biker jacket from one of the Dictators as he was skint. It was the one Dave wore on the Black & White cover but it was my jacket'.

So, The Stranglers had arrived, following their consistent hard work on the live circuit for the previous three years. At the start of '77, they were a support act at the Roundhouse & were selling out 5 nights by the end!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
http://louderthanwar.com/stranglerstherapy-o2-academy-liverpool-live-review/
The Stranglers Definitive Tour with support from Therapy? is a hot ticket this cold spring and opened up in Liverpool, ‘Music City’, where both bands have a strong track record of live performances.

People have been musing on why it is the Definitive Tour but really, when the band hit the stage, they provide all the clarification required with all criteria satisfied. Having returned in triumph from their Australian tour (which is a nice change for an English team) they are match fit and in mid-season form and with a partisan crowd behind them they are nigh on unstoppable.
So, why ‘Definitive’? Well, let’s consider the reasons why, over the past seven or eight years, the band has become one of the most consistently-strong selling bands on the live circuit.
Starting with the set-list, The Stranglers quite simply boast one of the most original and innovative back-catalogues there is and the Spring tour is traditionally the place where they flaunt this to best effect. Trying to avoid spoilers so early in the tour, fans can rest assured that there is the usual mix of non-negotiables and rarely-aired gems.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline grumpyinblack

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2018, 09:49:46 PM »
really enjoyed the Menninblack at Lincoln only one of this tour I got to. New song was pretty cool, some really random songs chosen, first time I have ever heard them do Dont bring Harry and Bear Cage live is epic great they included it, Usually Lincoln is early in the March tour but following the trip abroad and being about half way through they were on fire. Did not enjoy the support at all

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »
New song was pretty cool, some really random songs chosen, first time I have ever heard them do Dont bring Harry

Sounds good, thanks for reporting!  8)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
New tour next March with "Dr Feelgood"

http://www.thestranglers.co.uk/