Author Topic: Stranglers  (Read 27237 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Stranglers
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »
JJ appeared on the roundtable single review section of Steve Lamacq's show on BBC6 Music.

They chatted about Giants and the forthcoming tour with Steve and fellow panelist Keith Cameron who both selected Mercury Rising as their favourite track from the album. Music journalist Keith also revealed his first live gig was seeing the Meninblack tour at Glasgow Apollo back in '81. Steve played Time was once.. earlier in the programme
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bpqft
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
Apparently the Stranglers are on the BBC's Breakfast Show on BBC 1 tomorrow I guess around 8.45 / 9.15am

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
Quite a fun interview complete with some good clips of their Round House Anniversary gig; surprisingly Sian seemed to be a real fan and even saw them on the Nice and Sleazy tour.... anyway if interested it will be up on: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/default.stm just fast forward to around 8.55am

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »
Thanks for reporting! Looking forward to the album now (should be available in Germany from March 9th)!

Latest news:
Interview in the Times newspaper

In today's Times supplement there is a two page interview with the band which focuses on their characters and lives. Lots of interesting facts like what car Dave drives, what Jet thinks of X Factor and even a mention of 'farmyard Fanta'!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:11:10 PM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »
Album review:
http://www.music-news.com/showreview.asp?H=The-Stranglers&nReviewID=7941

I've heard the album once since it arrived yesterday and am well impressed!  8)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »
Album review:
http://www.music-news.com/showreview.asp?H=The-Stranglers&nReviewID=7941

I've heard the album once since it arrived yesterday and am well impressed!  8)

I'm probably biased being a lifelong fan but this album is up there with the best. I've listened to it about 10 times now and I can't find anything about it I don't like. There's usually a track or two that don't entirely convince on first listening but not this one. It's instant. Not a bad thing I can say. The wait was worth it.

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
Maybe I'll give it a chance then...... Last Stranglers album I bought was Live: Certificate X....

Offline claret999

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »
Off to see them at Manchester Academy on 24th (Last gig of uk Tour) can`t wait now after all the reviews I`ve read from Glasgow , Leeds, Liverpool etc.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
Maybe I'll give it a chance then...... Last Stranglers album I bought was Live: Certificate X....

Well, it is a good live album. That was thier 4th release. The new album is thier 17th studio set!  ;D

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »
Yep I had all the Stranglers albums up until Live: Certificate X, but Minblack and the Raven etc didn't do it for me...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
Still enjoying the new album. JJ's bass sound cuts through skin and bone here - that's how we wanna hear it!  8)
Also looking forward to a gig in April!

Alan, you got some catching up to do. There were some good tracks, even on the weaker albums...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »
I'm off for a few days, going to see The Stranglers live! (Last time was in 2004, so I'm really looking forward to it.)

Offline claret999

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
You have a real treat instore Uli, they were brilliant in Manchester last month 1st time I`ve seen them and Baz Warne is a great front man.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
Yeah, claret, it was a very good concert indeed!
We enjoyed the short stay in Zuerich (even though it's fuckin' expensive and the weather was far from perfect).  :)

Mike Marlin was the support act, sounded okay, had nice songs, but that "special something" was missing to really convince me. Here's an example from Glasgow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXZc6UdR0qs

The wait for the main act made me nervous as usual (even after 100s of gigs, strange). Finally we heard the intro tape playing "Waltzinblack"!  8)
The Stranglers played a long set (about 2 hours), incl. many old songs, the "hits", a few "rarities" and some tracks from the new album (and I gotta say most of these sounded as good as the old ones!). I loved JJ's bass sound (he's gotta be one of the best and coolest bassists on the planet), Baz was good on guitar & vocals (JJ did sing some as well, which I enjoyed too, especially "The Raven"), Greenfield played his typical keyboard parts, the replacement drummer did a good job (forgot his name, sorry), sadly Jet Black wasn't too well and couldn't travel with the band. All in all a great show!
The place wasn't too big, you could tell the band is used to playing bigger halls, as their backdrop was too "giant" for this stage, which resulted in Baz announcing "hello, we are the tanglers" or something like this!  ;D
The Swiss audience loved them, lots of singing along with the hits. Great band, hope to catch them again one day!
Photos:
http://tracks-magazin.ch/?p=570
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:40:33 PM by Uli »