Author Topic: The "new" TV Times - What you would like to see in future editions?  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
An open invitation...

Dear TUTS,

As you are all now well aware, the TV Times fanzine is shortly to make its long awaited return.

I'd therefore like to ask those of you that have NOT so far been involved in its production what you would expect, or like, to see in future editions. Are there any particluar themes you would like developed or stories you would like to see investigated a bit further?

Please share your thoughts, as your wishes may come true...

I'm also interested to see how your wish-lists compare with the early editions!

Many thanks, Fred.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:27:53 AM by Tj »

Offline stencil trash

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
Re: The "new" TV Times - an open invitation.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »
for one edition there could be a complete discography from early sleaze till the latest tv smith release.
and i mean not just "sleaze lp", "adverts - one chord...", "adverts - live at the roxy" ...
i would wish a discography with all pressings and as many pressing infos as possible (release date, copies).
there are already about 10 different editions of the crossing the red sea lp.

fab could help here already very much  :D
stenciltrashrecords.blogsport.de

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »
Yep - thanks for getting the ball rolling! We had thought of doing this over several issues - one looking at The Adverts, one at The Explorers, etc.

Offline Fab

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Truetrash.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »
That sounds really interesting ;) But it should contain some more info than the current website archive does :D
Musik Magazin: truetrash.com

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »
That's what I think too - do you have any ideas?

Offline Fab

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Truetrash.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 02:57:39 PM »
Well, as stencil trash already mentioned there are many pressings of some releases (e.g. "crossing the red sea" with more than 10 on vinyl). It would be great

1. to make a complete list of them
2. describe the differences
3. add as much info as possible, e.g. release date, nr. of copies, special infos like "came orginially with sticker on cover"
4. tracklist
5. perhapes with picture (frontcover, backcover and vinyl/cd)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
Hmm.

Might make more sense to have this as an ongoing project on the website...

Offline Fab

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Truetrash.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
not my decision ;) but would really be cool to see something like this anytime!

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »
Maybe the TV Times team could link up real close with the www.tvsmith.com team and work something out together.

To start the ball rolling we could have a simple album dicography in the next edition. How does that sound?

What else would you TUTS like to see in future editions?
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
naked cowboys...  :-*
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »
Thanks for that Klaus! That's why I wanted people that hadn't already asked for this stuff to mention their interests!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 05:41:15 PM »
How about getting TV's collaborators to write about what it is like to work with TV, and how different it is to their normal 'day job'; Richard Strange; BBQ; Vom; Stoner; Tom Robinson; Tim Cross; Gaye(!); etc etc ... could be a regular feature with a different guest artist each time - given TV's colaborative nature years worth of articles there!!

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
Fantastic idea Alan. 8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »

As promised here's a pre-release advert for TV Times 44 and Sparkle in the Mud.

Starting with the words of the great man himself...

"Best of luck in bringing TV Times back from that dead!"

The Secret is out!

Spring is the time for transformation and we are delighted to welcome back two old friends from 30 years ago. Coming soon from TV Smith and the TUTS…

The original 80s Demos re-mastered on CD

Back From The Dead! The Return of TV Times

The original 80s Demos re-mastered on CD

This first new edition of TV Times in 26 years is focused on TV’s latest album. After decades waiting we are delighted to present SPARKLE IN THE MUD Unreleased Songs and Demos (Volume One: 1979– 83).

Tj: Hi Teev, your old friend TV Times here, please could you share the story of the new release with your fans?   

TV: I always thought it’s a shame that they’ve never seen the light of day. I believed in the songs, and I believed that there were people out there who would want to hear them. It was just a question of how to reach them. I have a particular soft spot for the songs that were written in the depths of despair. It's that mixture of sadness with a glimmer of hope. Hanging on to the hope and looking for that chink of light in the darkness, I think that's important for all of us, and I think the songs that capture that are somehow universal.

These songs are very special to me. It was interesting to see that they're special for other people too - the songs have been sitting around so long that I'd almost forgotten people might actually like them. I think that's what motivated me to finally release this stuff.

I've had everything carefully mastered to bring out the best possible sound quality, and even though some of the original tapes had degraded quite badly most of the songs have come up sparkling like new. Considering that I once thought that most of them would be lost forever it's been a pleasure to hear them like that, and I hope the TUTS and everyone else will enjoy them too - it's been a long wait!

Tj: It would be so cool if we could use TV Times to announce the new title wouldn’t it?

TV: And...exclusively for the return of TV Times and all the TUTS, here is the cover...

:o

Sparkle in the Mud

Tj: I sparkled. My thoughts went first to the hidden treasure of sparkling lost gems.

“I love the whole story about TV in his darkest hour working for penny’s writing such glorious songs and never giving in, forever Carrying On. Whenever I’m in a dark valley of life these songs pick me up and get me back swimming on dry land.” Tj Sundown

“The original demos released. I always hoped this would happen one day, but honestly I never really thought this would ever actually happen. But as a good friend of mine would say: You get your miracle for just daring to ask. Enjoy this miracle!” Klaus Fleischer

“It’s on this material that Smith’s development as a songwriter can be truly gauged. Smith’s forte has always been pulling off the unexpected.” Dave Thompson (Your Ticket Out Of Here)

Back From The Dead! The Return of TV Times

“When TV first told me that there were plans afoot to re-launch the TV Times  (No Relation), the fanzine that consumed almost four years of my life in the early 1980’s, my response was - Why?”
Dave Thompson (TV Times (No Relation) 30th Anniversary Edition)

“I, and the other dedicated members of the TV Times team, feel inspired to do this. It’s about having fun and spreading the word. We think this guy is gifted and what he has to say is worth listening to. The new TV Times team includes the three biggest players in the world of TV Smith; Mr TV Times aka Dave Thompson as Adviser, Mr TV Smith.com aka Klaus Fleischer our Distributor and Mr TV Smith himself our inspiration. The core team that are focused on creating the new TV Times are Fred and I (Editors) and Fleag and Boris (Designers).” Tj Sundown

“Your plans for it sound great. I'll drop something into every issue if you like!” Dave Thompson

“I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the new TV Times. This is an opportunity to carry on the spirit of the old fanzine in a new context. I'm sure you'll be able to create something unique and reflect the spirit we have on the website forum. Have fun!” TV Smith

“The circle has been closed - TV Times are Carrying On!” Klaus Fleischer

“The first album I ever bought was “Crossing the Red Sea with The Adverts” and the last one I bought was “TV Smith Live at the NVA” – I guess I should get out more!” Fred Owen

“It’s going to be a huge production.” You can sing that again, Teev!” Tj Sundown

"The good times are back. The TUTS adventures!" Fleagle

"I get to read it before anyone else." :D Boris

“...Well, I never expected to see you again!" Dave Thompson (Mr TV Times)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:23:24 PM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline stencil trash

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »

To start the ball rolling we could have a simple album dicography in the next edition. How does that sound?

think a normaling discography is boring. already up on the normal website.
there's nothing new to discover  ;)
stenciltrashrecords.blogsport.de