Author Topic: The greatest Rock'n'Roll band of all time - The Rolling Stones  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The greatest Rock'n'Roll band of all time - The Rolling Stones
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
Their Satanic Majesties Request turns 50:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/rolling-stones-their-satanic-majesties-request-anniversary-reissue-video-2000-light-years-from-home-a7917031.html

Whatever happened to The Damned's plan to cover the whole album I remember reading about back in the day? As far as I know, only their excellent version of "Citadel" ever made it out of the rehearsal/recording studio - until Uli tells me different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4OfBpJf0g4

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2017, 07:56:23 AM »
Whatever happened to The Damned's plan to cover the whole album I remember reading about back in the day? As far as I know, only their excellent version of "Citadel" ever made it out of the rehearsal/recording studio - until Uli tells me different...

Uli says "nothing came out of it" (except for the aforementioned "Citadel").
Naz Nomad & the Nightmares played "2000 lightyears from home" live in the 80s (not that they have anything to do with the D*mned).
Captain wanted to "resurrect" the idea with "The Dr Spacetoad Experience" in the 90s, but again, nothing came out of it...
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »
Thanks for that Uli - I knew that you would know. Interesting that the Naz side-project kept the idea going as I'd always assumed that The Captain (with his psychedelic leanings) was the driving force behind the concept.

It's a shame the project wasn't completed - I'd have loved to have heard The Captain squeaking out Bill Wyman's "In Another Land"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8KzA6es3Bo

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2017, 09:53:17 AM »
Apparently it was Captain's idea, to me it always seemed like a "strange" one (while I like "Citadel", covering a whole album seems daft).
Naz Nomad soon dropped this cover, didn't work very well apparently. (Of course, they were covering mainly "psychedelic & garage rock" stuff, so this fit in, with Vanian & Jugg also being "fans" of that era.)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »
And the Captain does STILL like it, even to the point of defending it on the net...

https://www.facebook.com/sensiblecaptain/posts/10156598675963102
Despite messers Richards and Jagger's regret for their foray into psychedelia debate about the various merits of 'Satanic Majesties' goes on. I agree totally with the attached blog, David Fricke is so wrong.. and without the material Brian Jones contributed to (but scandalously didn't receive a writers credit for) they would be playing the same gig circuit as the rest of us: http://psychobabble200.blogspot.de/2017/08/review-fiftieth-anniversary-edition-of.html

I've got the 50th anniversary reissue.. not the vinyl though - and if I CAN'T find some way to blag a copy I might even have to purchase.. but the thought of giving a penny to that miserly old tory Mick Jagger sticks in the throat.
But enough of that... here's my defence of the record - from the comments section following yet another critique of the album that you either love or hate - Their Satanic Majesties Request:
https://electriccomicbook.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/another-spin-the-rolling-stones-their-satanic-majesties-request/

Whether they like it or not the Rolling Stones created an exquisite psychedelic masterpiece that works on nearly every level – and yes, that includes the lyrics. Everyone went a bit ‘cosmic’ in the summer of love…. including the pupils at my school in Croydon – which didn’t go terribly down well with the headmaster I can tell you. But that’s another story.
As you constantly compare Satanic Majesties with the Beatles own 1967 effort I hope you’ll be giving Pepper’s lyrical content the same critical once over. John’s Getting Better strikes me as a contender (with Elvis’s ‘Always On My Mind’) for rock’s greatest wife beaters anthem. And isn’t there some equally hippy dippy drivel on side 2 of the fab four’s platter.
But going back to TSMR – is side one as weak as you say? Do you ‘dig’ wig out jamming? I do, and I’d say this is up there with the likes of Can, Steamhammer, Syd’s Floyd and Neu. And despite the internal conflicts in the band (and Mick and Keef’s attempts to sideline him at the time) Brian Jones gets one last chance to showcase his genius – and on a multitude of instruments too. The melotron on ‘2000 Light Years From Home’ is probably worth the price of the album alone.
And was Brian really that pissed off with the direction of this record as you say? By his stupendous efforts this sounds more like HIS album than that of the Glimmer Twats if you ask me. Every note he plays is gold dust, regardless of the blokes legendary personality flaws.
Satanic Majesties ‘comes in colours’ alright – and compares most favourably to most of the one dimensional, lazy rawk that this band would continue their career with.
I’m actually NOT much of a Stones fan either…. some of the unmitigated garbage that this bunch of bored rock stars have churned out in the last few decades would have killed most bands – if it wasn’t for the fact that the 60s virtually belonged to them.
But I LOVE Their Satanic Majesties Request. It is an album that rewards frequent playing…. as evidenced by the fact that I’ve worn out several vinyl copies since my schooldays.
Anyway music is like that, we can’t all agree on everything can we….. personally I can’t stand Mozart – much preferring Bach and Rachmaninov, blah blah, etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:14:21 AM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2017, 10:49:46 AM »
Thanks for that Uli - interesting stuff.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »
Stones played Munich yesterday - I wasn't there. Looking at the setlist, they did play 2 songs from the latest album (but all in all, I didn't wanna pay like 100+ euro for this show... apparently you could've also spent 680 euro...)

https://www.rollingstone.de/rolling-stones-in-muenchen-setlist-fotos-und-videos-vom-spektakel-1344709/