Author Topic: California Punk?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
California Punk?
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:19:43 AM »

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
Re: California Punk?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
Yeah interesting article Alan. I have recently started listening to some of those bands (Avengers, Zeros, Germs & Weirdos) & they are rather good. I will have to look out for that compilation album.

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »
Nick just what I was thinking!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
Being a punk rock music junkie I already have most of the recordings by all of the bands mentioned.
 There are some absolutely brilliant tracks and, of course, some utter bilge.

But The Weirdos are tops! ;D

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:26:40 PM »
Yeah I really rate the Weirdos. I have been listening to the weird world albums. They were very inventive musically.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
California ueber alles...  :P

I have a compilation of some tracks from LA punk bands, wasn't impressed with many.
Kinda liked the Bags (feat. Patricia Morrison). Avengers were okay as well.

And I do enjoy the X "Los Angeles" album (1980), excellent.  ;)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 08:17:38 PM »
http://www.laweekly.com/music/la-punk-legends-x-celebrate-40-years-with-four-shows-at-the-roxy-7692240

When X formed in Los Angeles in 1977, four like-minded and wonderful weirdos looking to create something subversive yet arty at the dawn of the L.A. punk scene, they could never have imagined that, 40 years down the line, those same four people would be preparing to celebrate their ruby anniversary.

Sure, they’ve taken breaks. Other people have joined the band and then left over the years. But the fact that original members John Doe, Exene Cervenka, Billy Zoom and D.J. Bonebrake are still touring as a unit as we prepare to enter 2017 is extremely rare in the volatile world of music, never mind punk rock.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »
http://www.laweekly.com/music/terry-james-grahams-punk-like-me-recounts-the-era-when-la-punk-almost-changed-the-world-8453502

After his first visit to the Whisky a Go Go, Graham was quickly absorbed into the small scene. With impressive recall (“I wasn’t a very good drunk”), the book roars through the fast-moving rise of Hollywood punk, with dead-on depictions of almost every local character, performance, venue and party. The reader actually feels as if he is brown-bagging some cheap hooch in the alley outside the Masque.

After Graham replaces Nickey Beat in The Bags, Punk Like Me conjures a from-the-riser perspective that further intensifies the wild narrative. By the time he and bassist Rob Ritter stumble into a Gun Club show (the very night Jeffrey Lee Pierce’s rhythm section quit, no less), things kick into screaming high gear.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
http://laist.com/2017/05/08/the_gun_club_in_my_room.php

In the annals of L.A. rock music, it's The Gun Club, perhaps, that truly gets buried in the footnotes of history. Maybe it's due to the band's sound, which is a little hard to box in. The term "cowpunk"—meant to denote a hybrid of punk and country—gets tossed around a lot. But mostly, The Gun Club was just loud and messy; their tracks make you want to fiddle with the EQ on your car stereo.

The recently released In My Room, the band's first album in nearly 25 years (and 21 years after the death of their frontman Jeffrey Lee Pierce), takes a different path, however. The tracks here reveal a different side of the erratic Pierce. The guitars are cleaner, and even a bit more elaborate. "L.A. Is Always Real" and "Shame and Pain," for instance, are built on irresistibly catchy riffs. And Pierce's vocals, while still gruff and pain-streaked, have settled into a more contemplative tone. The album is slower, more introspective...

It should also be noted that In My Room is not a gratuitous, cribbed-together, posthumous release built on a collection of unreleased demos. Rather, it's a real album that was recorded in Holland and Belgium between 1991 and 1993. It just never got a proper release until now.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/03/punk-band-x-will-play-los-angeles-one-last-time-at-the-wiltern-to-celebrate-debuts-40th-anniversary/

Los Angeles punk rock band X will celebrate the 40th anniversary of the release of its debut studio album, “Los Angeles,” with a special show at The Wiltern in Los Angeles on Saturday, April 25.

The band, which formed in 1977, continues to tour with its original lineup including vocalist Exene Cervenka, vocalist-bassist John Doe, guitarist Billy Zoom and drummer DJ Bonebrake. According to the band’s social media post, this will be the final time it plays “Los Angeles” in its entirety.

“Los Angeles” was released on April 26, 1980 on Slash Records and was produced by the late Doors keys player Ray Manzarek. The record even includes a cover of the Doors’ 1967 hit, “Soul Kitchen.”

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »
https://youtu.be/1PddcIeuULQ

The world’s a mess, and X is back

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-04-22/x-alphabetland-40th-anniversary-los-angeles

“Alphabetland” arrived out of the blue on Wednesday. Landing months sooner than the band had originally planned, it was recorded with producer Rob Schnapf (Elliott Smith, Beck, Joyce Manor) during two sessions in the fall of 2018 and January 2020.

Noting that she hadn’t made solo music in years, Exene, who is spending isolation in her Orange County home, said she’d been pushing for a new album for so long in part because she has a harder time writing without purpose. “You can write all day long,” she said, adding that her creative aim was simple: “I was hoping that we would be able to make a new record if I kept writing really good lyrics — so I just started sending stuff to John.” She also included her sung melodies. Doe, along with Zoom and Bonebrake, then added music.

“Alphabetland” was originally scheduled to come out in August. But in mid-March, as the COVID-19 coronavirus spread, Fat Possum and the band began discussing a surprise release.

Logistically, the early release made sense too: With record and CD manufacturing plants shuttered, Fat Possum couldn’t guarantee hitting the planned August release date. So X and the label opted to drop the album on the same date that “Los Angeles” was released 40 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:51:30 AM by Uli »