Author Topic: 2011 Gigs  (Read 81680 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Gigs
« Reply #345 on: December 13, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »
Jock you're in for a treat - have a good night!

& Merry Bloody Christmas to you too Joe!

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »
WELL, tonights the night. 8)
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 13, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
You're seeing John Barrowman?!!

Offline claret999

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: December 13, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »
Another rip-roaring set from TV and The valentines at the Mello Mello bar in Liverpool last night. This was a re-arranged gig as the much bigger "Dome" was cancelled, but as TV announced this place is much better! and it was.
Missed the first two bands but made sure me and another mate from work (I`m trying to convert them to TV Smith fans one by one) got there for Cyanide pills set and I`ve got to say I like this band the more I see them.
Then TV and the valentines on about 10-30 and playing to a very enthusiastic crowd of about 100, which was a really good turnout considering it was a monday night and the weather was bloody awful.
Brilliant show as usual and the liverpool lot lapped it up. Set list more or less same as London gig but we got as encores Back from the Dead and Lords Prayer instead of Good times are Back and Xmas bloody Xmas.
Roll on Sat at Manchester if it`s as good as this and the Manchester gig in March I`ll be well happy.
Enjoy Leeds tonight TJ, Sadly there was no Cast of Thousands in the set but we also got treated to a cracking live version of Coming in to Land (Highlight of the Night for me).
Claret.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 13, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »
Thanks for the reports TUTS - I hope to make Brum on Sunday.
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: December 13, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
You are in for a treat  ;)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
I hope so - caught 'em three times so far and loved them all!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: December 14, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
Great gig in Leeds last night.Good job I read TJ's post-I thought it was tonight! Caught up with Paul North and TV before watching the excellent Cyanide Pills for the 1st time. Great set from TV of course and a really good turnout, something of a rarity for punk gigs in Leeds.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:28:03 PM by GJ »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »
Great reviews, keep 'em coming!  :)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 14, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
A rather personal review of the Bristol gig here: http://glasswalking-stick.blogspot.com/2011/12/tv-smith-and-valentines-play-best-of.html

Not sure about the Steptoe analogy mind you!

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: December 14, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
Thanks for that Alan. Good read.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 15, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
Yeah pretty good review & nice pics.
Tim "TV" Smith was a sardonic, intelligent frontman in an era of often deliberately dumbed-down Punk personalities, as well as one of the finest lyricists to come out of that time. His songs were often ironic commentaries on the UK in general and the Punk scene in particular...
8)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline TV

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 15, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
Great to see so many TUTS at the gigs so far. Here's another nice review on John Robb's Louder Than War website: http://louderthanwar.com/featured/tv-smith-the-valentines-live-review

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »
Two great review. I enjoyed reading this part...

I've heard it said many times that you should never meet your heroes, they'll always disappoint. Well, not in this case. It was a pleasure to meet such a proper gentleman after half a lifetime of enjoying his music.

'Arrold! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:54:00 AM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
Enjoy Leeds tonight TJ, Sadly there was no Cast of Thousands in the set but we also got treated to a cracking live version of Coming in to Land (Highlight of the Night for me).

Claret

Great night in Leeds. A crowd of a 100 on a Tuesday just outside Leeds city centre was a great achievement.

Met up with Ste and Lee in The Fox & Newt for a couple of Mary Jane's. Splendid. Not my favorite pub in the world as I was in a major gas explosion there on 12th April in 1978. One of those is that a bar flying through the air moments. I remember talking to two girls outside afterwards and asking these two girls if my face was alright whilst all they could do was stare at at 12 inches of loose skin hanging down from my hands like bandages. ...When I told TV about it later he decided he wanted to go to the pub as it sounded a much more exciting way to get fresh new looking skin than plastic suregery.

I digress...

Back at the gig I realised that the guy who I recognised in the pub who kept staring at my Gary Gilmore's Eyes sweatshirt was actually the drummer from Teev's new Adverts band. Duh! :-[

After finally getting my mitts on the Coming in to Land t-sirt (cheers Teev) and catching up with the man himself I caught the close of the superb Cyanide Pils set.

When the latest Adverts came on stage I took myself off to the side of the gig so I could watch both the band and the fans. And fans they were singing along to every single classic Adverts song and loving every precious moment.

For me the highlight of the gig by a country mile was the encore. XBX, the glorious Coming in to Land (with a cracking guitar solo by the boy from Mars) and a heart rendering climax of The Adverts best ever song, Cast of Thousands, which even got a sober Tj pogoing and singing along on the front row.

Good to also catch up with Jock's punk mare from the Elland Earthbound gigs and GJ at the end.

Thank you TV.

Thank you man from Mars.

Thank you Leeches (such raw energy together).

Thank you TUTS.

Perhaps the good times are back!

Tj Sundown