Author Topic: James Williamson and David Hasseltwat make arses of themselves  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
James Williamson and David Hasseltwat make arses of themselves
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »
WARNING - Watch this only once and answer the following questions:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/watch-david-hasslhoffs-2547023

1. Which is worse - the singing or the 'acting'?

2. Was James pissed and played this down the phone?

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...
TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: James Williamson and David Hasseltwat make arses of themselves
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:59:29 AM »
Gotta say: it's not as bad as I feared it would be... ok, he's a bit of a "poser" in the vid and the singing is not really good (but could be much, much worse tbh).

According to the tracklist, not just Williamson, but also Steve Stevens, A flock of Seagulls, Ministry a.o. had the (ahem) "courage" to appear with Hasselhoff.  ;D

What bugs me, is how the NME was incapable to do a decent research on the song's origin.  :o
Written and recorded in 1982 by New Church

As far as I remember it was written by James/Bator(s) and recorded by The Lords Of The New Church.
Time for the NME to do their f***in' homework!  ::)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 09:31:53 PM »
The NME has, sadly, been poorly written and researched since at least the mid-80's.

I still reckon its a pretty awful version, and video, for a good song that, according to an old copy of the NME from 1982, was written by Bryan Jones and Steve Battor from The Lids of the Now Chips.
TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
...according to an old copy of the NME from 1982, was written by Bryan Jones and Steve Battor from The Lids of the Now Chips.

:'(  :-[  >:( :(

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »
This should be a bit better...

https://whatsmyscene.com/star-scene-james-williamson-the-stooges-deniz-tek-radio-birdman/

Legendary punk/proto-punk guitar heroes, James Williamson of Iggy & The Stooges, and Deniz Tek of Radio Birdman, have joined forces for a brand new, odds-defying studio album, Two To One, set to be released September 18 by Cleopatra Records. The album features 11 all-new original compositions highlighted by the first single “Stable” and the explosive lead-off track “Jet Pack Nightmare.”

Williamson and Tek met at a memorial show for founding Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton in 2011 and reconnected when Williamson finally made it to Sydney with Iggy & The Stooges in 2013. They’ve since become neighbours in Hawaii. Although generationally separated,  they share roots in the fertile Ann Arbor/Detroit high energy rock scene of the late 60s and early ‘70s.

Williamson first took up with the Stooges in 1971 after the release of their second album, and was Iggy’s partner in crime when David Bowie brought the band back to make one of the most iconic and influential albums of all-time, Raw Power. Ann Arbor native Tek, thanks to a lengthy family stay in Sydney in 1967 which precipitated his move to study medicine at the University of NSW at the age of 19 in 1972, was starting to introduce the Ann Arbor/Detroit high energy sound to Australia with a nascent Birdman around the same time as the Stooges were falling apart in 1974.

The pairing of these two greats has a special emblematic significance that reflects the Stooges’ influence on Radio Birdman, and in turn both bands’ shared influence on a notable thread of Australian rock that has continued since the mid-‘70s.

Radio Birdman’s very name came from a (misheard) Stooges lyric, their first album was dedicated to the Stooges and it opened with a cover of the Stooges’ “TV Eye”. “Search & Destroy”, the iconic anthem from the seminal Williamson-era Stooges album Raw Power, was a live Birdman fave. Countless bands that followed in Birdman’s wake in Australia – from the Lipstick Killers to the Birthday Party to the Hoodoo Gurus to the Celibate Rifles to Bored –  have cut their teeth on Stooges material.

Williamson had this to say about the project; “It was really a lot of fun working with Deniz to make a no-frills, good old-fashioned guitar album. Took me back to Raw Power and Kill City days. Deniz comes from a very similar approach to music that I do, both of us have had many years of experience in Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan.”

Tek adds: “Raw Power shaped my path as a young guitar player. It was great to partner up with James to make this album. Everything fell into place beyond expectations – the songs, the band, the production, and even the timing. I am very happy with it.”

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 06:34:47 AM »
This looks very buyable. Thanks Uli
Down like a stick...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 04:49:22 PM »
Yes indeed - thanks Uli!

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
Just listened to and thoroughly enjoyed the Tek/Williamson cd.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 12:36:15 PM »
I should look into getting it too...