Author Topic: I Need A Dodge! Joe Strummer On The Run.  (Read 869 times)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
I Need A Dodge! Joe Strummer On The Run.
« on: March 26, 2015, 04:00:15 PM »
Non Clash fans need not enter.

Last night I went to Koko in Camden town to see the London premiere of Nick Hall's documentary 'I Need A Dodge! Joe Strummer On The Run.'
 The event was hosted and introduced by Chris Salewicz (author of 'Redemption Song: The Definitive Biography of Joe Strummer').
 It's a movie based almost entirely around a single anecdote about a car Strummer lost in Madrid in 1985 that he mentioned in an interview in 1997.
 Nick Hall has managed to make a reasonably interesting, if muddled, film that has very little involvement from anyone involved with Joe apart from archive footage, radio interview tapes and a couple of bits with his wife and two members of The Clash Mark II.
 It was more to do with Strummer's relationship with Spain and it's people and, considering it's title and premise, it had a somewhat unsatisfactory pay-off.
 It was o.k. but I won't rush to see it again or be desperate to have it on DVD.
 However....

The best part of last night's event was the live music.

Before the movie we got The Crunch. They are a band made up of Soren ‘Sulo’ Karlsson from Sweden (Diamond Dogs) on vocals and guitar, Terry Chimes (original Clash drummer), bassist Dave Tregunna (Sham 69 and Lords of the New Church), and Mick Geggus (Cockney Rejects) also on guitar. They make a fabulous racket that is quite obviously Clash influenced as evidenced by the 2nd half of their set which was, indeed, covers of Clash songs rehearsed specifically for this event. It was gloriously, unapologetically nostalgic, punk and roll. I loved it. As did the rest of the audience which was made up of Clash fans aged from 16 to, probably, 80.
 The audience also included a veritable 'whose-who' of artists and musicians who have in some way been connected to Strummer.
 This is a link to the video for the first Crunch single (2 years old now) and there's also one album so far with a 2nd on the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RssK5Mzr2T8

After the movie we were treated to an ALL STAR BAND.
 It featured....

WAYNE KRAMER (from MC5)
 CHARLIE HARPER (from UK SUBS)
 SEGS, DAVE RUFFY & LEIGH HEGGARTY (from RUTS DC)
 CHRIS BAILEY (from THE SAINTS)
 NORMAN WATT-ROY (from THE BLOCKHEADS & WILKO JOHNSON BAND)
 MARTIN CHAMBERS (from THE PRETENDERS)
 PAUL RONNEY ANGEL & GEORGE (from THE URBAN VOODOO MACHINE)
 TYMON DOGG (from THE MESCALEROS)
 ANTONIO ARIAS (from the Spanish rock band 091)
 RACHID TAHA (from French rock band CARTE DE SEJOUR)
 HENRY PADOVANI (original guitarist from THE POLICE)
 LARRY LOVE (from ALABAMA 3)
 They performed nearly 2 hours of classic Clash and Strummer songs but ended, some thought strangely, with Kramer taking centre stage for an extended and rousing version of
 MC5's 'Looking At You' and ending on a fantastic extended 'Kick Out The Jams'. As Wayne had flown in specifically for the event I suppose it was only fair. Personally I had no problem with it but it might have pleased more if they'd actually ended on one of Joe's songs.

Throughout the night, between the film and live music we were also treated to a fantastic bunch of reggae and dub DJ sets by DON LETTS.

All in all, I had a great time.
 But as I said at the start..

Non Clash fans need not enter.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: I Need A Dodge! Joe Strummer On The Run.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
Ta for that - sounds great you lucky, lucky person you!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: I Need A Dodge! Joe Strummer On The Run.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »
It did look a great event judging by the various Facebook pics - I must get gigging properly again!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile