Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 209976 times)

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #1230 on: December 07, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
'fuelling the fire' tour at Newcastle Academy- Flogging Molly headlined, bit dodgy at first but improved and were very enjoyable but the singer's announcement that Pete Shelley had passed away put a downer on things. Also on were The Bronx who were really good and the band of the night the excellent Face To Face. Only 17 to get in.

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1231 on: December 15, 2018, 11:07:50 PM »
Vibrators last night at a new venue in Scarborough. Excellent performance and just about sold out. The Stukas (yes the Stukas)! were on too. Never bothered with them back in the day but they were ok, solid r'n'b. Tonight I enjoyed Geoffrey Oi!cott at the brudenell in Leeds. Hardskin who I didn't know anything about went on next. Some good songs but what a bunch of arseholes, slagging the crowd, Yorkshire and numerous other things off after each song no need for it especially if you are as fat ugly and scruffy as the bass player.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 16, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »
Some good songs but what a bunch of arseholes, slagging the crowd, Yorkshire and numerous other things off after each song no need for it

Sounds like you had a fun night!  ;D   ;)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline EastKentTaff

• Cast Of Thousands
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1233 on: January 01, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
First gig of the year for me, Duncan Reid in Ramsgate, this Friday.
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 02, 2019, 10:28:15 AM »
Tonight I'm off to see the "Smooth Acoustic Festival" in Esslingen.
Tomorrow Paul James Berry in a chapel in Hohenstaufen (too much snow, couldn't make it)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:06:24 AM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 03, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
When I arrived at the "Komma" in Esslingen for the "Smooth Acoustic Festival" around 6pm, there weren't many people in (that would change later). First act I saw was Anna Paulin + Jan (who helped playing her songs and sang a few of his own), was quite nice to listen to. Next act in the smaller room was on immediately after they'd finished. (Organisation was good! Schedule was kept on time.) Smaller room was seated, very comfy!
Aleyna, a 16 year old girl who writes her own songs (and plays them on an electric piano - at an "acoustic" festival, cheating a bit, eh?) - to my surprise the songs had some depth and sounded good. A real talent.

Next act on the big stage was "Mojo Moon" from Sweden. They had amps and electric instruments (erm, cheating again, eh?), they looked and sounded a bit like ZZ Top light! Very bluesy, including covers of "Folsom Prison Blues" and the theme tune of "True Blood".
Then it was back on a seat for the set of local singer-songwriter "Sibbi" (real acoustic). Nothing spectacular, but nice to listen to.

Paul James Berry was next in the bigger room. At first, he was strolling the stage like a tiger in a cage! Seemed in a morose mood, asking the audience if playing one song would be enough (not a good way to win over an audience, in my humble etc)! When he finally started the first song, he exploded into a "shut the f**k up" mid-song (some people chatted loudly in the back of the room - maybe the bar staff?)... I wished he'd focussed on those who were standing close to the stage and really listening! After that it got much better though, he concentrated on playing his songs. For one (or 2) he switched on a fuzz/distortion effect for his guitar (cheating eh?  ;)) which made it sound quite "punkrocking" (I overheard some people talk about "rock'n'roll attitude").  8)
https://youtu.be/gXC1ZYxFokM
After he said "good night" and disappeared, I went to the small room, got a seat and listened to "Sleepwalker's Station", one guy with a mandoline (real acoustic). He often talked about "we", because it is a project with other people at times. Not bad. When he asked the audience if they knew Ennio Morricone, hardly anyone seemed to say "yeah" (quite shocking). He had a song "inspired" by his music (and by meeting him, which he said was a little disappointing due to his "expectations" how he should be). A local act called "Bea Bacher" had a guest spot singing one song with him (I missed her own performance).

After that, it was "Naked Hazelbeard" on the big stage. A local band. They sounded quite exactly like you'd expect from a local rock/pop band playing "unplugged". They weren't bad, but it bored me after the more "intimate" songs I'd heard before. When they covered "Hit the road Jack", I left and drove home!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:30:42 PM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 20, 2019, 01:48:21 PM »
The Mekons will play in Reutlingen (franz k) next month. A legendary band I know not much about... the name I knew for ages, but only heard a few songs over the years.
Their new album is going to be released on the excellent Glitterbeat label.

https://frootsmag.com/deserted-mekons

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/mekons-new-song-lawrence-of-california-album-announcement-786013/

(Also, that lunatic Lu, from PiL etc., is still in the band...)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 20, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
Lu Edmonds is a true gentleman Uli.

Are you going to the gig?
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 21, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »
Are you going to the gig?

I hope so. I've not bought a ticket, will probably decide on the night.  8)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 21, 2019, 11:17:59 AM »
I hope so too - review please if you make it.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 21, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »
I hope so too - review please if you make it.

Of course I will - thanks for sharing the review, I might buy the album.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 22, 2019, 04:08:23 PM »
A band called "Not Scientists" tonight in Ulm (recommended by a mate):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKcPz5W1dmg

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 23, 2019, 01:23:03 PM »
Not Scientists were good last night. I'd never been to the "Hemperium" in Ulm before, I must've walked past it many times. Downstairs is a pub/restaurant (where they apparently serve burgers made out of hemp - hence the name). Upstairs is a small bar with a tiny stage.
First on were "Hingsen", support band from Ravensburg, playing some kind of hardcore/punk. Not too bad.
The "Not Scientists" from Lyon were as good as my mate had promised. They played their first song and "it just clicked". The energy they radiated really came across. A few slower songs were in the set, but mostly it was quite "punky".  8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 24, 2019, 10:13:28 AM »
Went to a jazz concert last night in the local school aula. "Allotria" from Munich have been going for 50 years (one of the newer members wasn't even born then)!
They played a lot of "standards" from the golden jazz/swing era (1920's and 30's), I enjoyed that. Best tune for me was of course "Sing Sing Sing" by Louis Prima (which I knew from the Rat Scabies solo album!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYUr2MjcU4
(bit different line-up than last night)