Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 98952 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 06:41:26 PM »
Wow I would love to catch him - I didn't know he was in town.... have fun!

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
I did!

A great night with all the usual Dirty Water Club faces in attendance and nice to see Romi Mori (ex-Gun Club) in the audience too.

KCP did mainly his own stuff with a few Cramps and Gun Club numbers thrown in for good measure. When you add Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and The Fall to the list of bands he's played for, there's four of my favourite groups he's been a part of at some time.

About 200 people there, which is not a bad turn-out for a poorly advertised (I didn't even know he was playing there until I spotted a small flyer at TV's gig on Saturday) gig on a Wednesday night.

Well recommended if you ever get the chance to see him  :)
Down like a stick...

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »
When did he play for The Fall? No mention of him on the Fall site or in Dave Simpson's book The Fallen.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 02:31:49 PM »
KCP did mainly his own stuff with a few Cramps and Gun Club numbers thrown in for good measure.

Exactly my memories from his gig in Ulm two years ago! Great gig, one of the best of 2009!
I immediately went checking for tour dates, his myspace hadn't been updated for a while...  ::)
But I found this:
http://kidcongopowers.blogspot.com/

22.4. UK - Brighton - Green Room
23.4. SF - Helsinki - Bar Loose
24.4. Berlin . Kid Congo DJ set at White Trash
25.4. off
26.4. - 28.4. tba ES / F
28.4. ES - Alicante - Stereo
29.4. ES - Barcelona - Sala Apolo
30.4. ES - Madrid - Nasti Club
Hopefully more gigs in germany later...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:35:19 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »
When did he play for The Fall? No mention of him on the Fall site or in Dave Simpson's book The Fallen.

Embarrassingly, I've been 'Wiki'd'  :-[

(Wikipedia)...After forming The Gun Club in 1979 with Jeffrey Lee Pierce, Kid left before they recorded an album to join The Cramps in 1980. He rejoined Gun Club briefly in 83, rejoining again between 85 and 88, when once again he left to join Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in Berlin. Kid has also played with The Divine Horsemen, The Angels of Light, Die Haut and The Fall...

I got asked this very question last night and, in a moment of memory failure, answered 'yes, I think so', thus probably perpetuating the 'Wiki'd' effect: Say something that's wrong enough times and it'll eventually appear on Wikipedia as a 'fact'.

When I answered, I did so in the knowledge that I'd seen somewhere that KCP had played for The Fall and couldn't remember where I'd seen it. Now I know where.

Because you asked the question GJ, I decided to look it up on The Fall's unofficial official site ('unofficial' because MES views internet forums, esp. those on his band with exteme suspicion, 'official' because he'd probably grudgingly admit that it's as close as he's ever going to get to one that tries to be as factual as possible) and found that there wasn't any mention of him there. I'm sure the question came up on that forum at least once, but I can't remember what the answer was. I left it in 2006.

So...unless that Wikipedia 'fact' has some unknown substance behind it, I'm wrong and Simpo's excellent book is right.

As I've already mentioned here before, I can be a bit of a dick at times! ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:50:25 PM by slaughterboy »
Down like a stick...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
KCP did mainly his own stuff with a few Cramps and Gun Club numbers thrown in for good measure.

Exactly my memories from his gig in Ulm two years ago! Great gig, one of the best of 2009!
I immediately went checking for tour dates, his myspace hadn't been updated for a while...  ::)
But I found this:
http://kidcongopowers.blogspot.com/

22.4. UK - Brighton - Green Room
23.4. SF - Helsinki - Bar Loose
24.4. Berlin . Kid Congo DJ set at White Trash
25.4. off
26.4. - 28.4. tba ES / F
28.4. ES - Alicante - Stereo
29.4. ES - Barcelona - Sala Apolo
30.4. ES - Madrid - Nasti Club
Hopefully more gigs in germany later...

I'm seriously thinking of going to Brighton tomorrow  :)
Down like a stick...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
(other than...)

The only gig I'm hopefully going to see for this year (so far) is TV Smith Coming in to Land in Hyde. 8)

Hope we get loads of the new album live. :D
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
Probably Buzzcocks / 999 at Southsea in june. Unless anything crops up before then.
http://www.punkbythesea.co.uk/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:16:42 PM by Nick »

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »
I was supposed to go to The Bitter End in Romford last night to see Discharge but I really couldn't be arsed.

However, The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, Subway Sect, Department S, Red Flag 77, London, UK Subs, The Members, The Duel...plus a few others, ALL before the end of May.

If I can be arsed. ;D

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »

Embarrassingly, I've been 'Wiki'd'  :-[

(Wikipedia)...After forming The Gun Club in 1979 with Jeffrey Lee Pierce, Kid left before they recorded an album to join The Cramps in 1980. He rejoined Gun Club briefly in 83, rejoining again between 85 and 88, when once again he left to join Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in Berlin. Kid has also played with The Divine Horsemen, The Angels of Light, Die Haut and The Fall...

I got asked this very question last night and, in a moment of memory failure, answered 'yes, I think so', thus probably perpetuating the 'Wiki'd' effect: Say something that's wrong enough times and it'll eventually appear on Wikipedia as a 'fact'.

When I answered, I did so in the knowledge that I'd seen somewhere that KCP had played for The Fall and couldn't remember where I'd seen it. Now I know where.

Because you asked the question GJ, I decided to look it up on The Fall's unofficial official site ('unofficial' because MES views internet forums, esp. those on his band with exteme suspicion, 'official' because he'd probably grudgingly admit that it's as close as he's ever going to get to one that tries to be as factual as possible) and found that there wasn't any mention of him there. I'm sure the question came up on that forum at least once, but I can't remember what the answer was. I left it in 2006.

So...unless that Wikipedia 'fact' has some unknown substance behind it, I'm wrong and Simpo's excellent book is right.

As I've already mentioned here before, I can be a bit of a dick at times! ;)

My friend in East Berlin has come up with the answer: KCP featured in the 'Hit The North' video and I s'pose that's how he came to be listed as a 'member' of The Fall.

Ahh...studious Germans...don't you just love 'em? ;)
Down like a stick...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 11:27:48 PM »
I was supposed to go to The Bitter End in Romford last night to see Discharge but I really couldn't be arsed.

However, The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, Subway Sect, Department S, Red Flag 77, London, UK Subs, The Members, The Duel...plus a few others, ALL before the end of May.

If I can be arsed. ;D

Going to see Subway Sect and Department S meself next Friday at The Lexington and I seem to remember The Duel being on a flyer for another gig I'm intending to get along to... (checks pockets)...ah! Here we go: The Bermondsey Joyriders + The Duel at The 100 Club 8th May. Also got a Fleagle special at The Scream Lounge next Saturday followed by Viva Las Vegas at The 12 Bar on the same night. Gonna be a busy boy next weekend :)
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Possibly Garden Gang on Sunday...
24.04. AUGSBURG - Kradhalle, Kulturpark West w/ EASTFIELD + Generation N
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »
Might have to think about changing my plans.

The Vibrators gig on 23rd April will apparently be the absolutely very last time that Knox plays live with the band.

He's slowing down and concentrating on his solo stuff.

I know the band have done a fair few gigs without Knox, especially during his illness and when he broke his arm, but you always knew he would be back eventually.

This sounds pretty final.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I remember the first time he left - I saw "Knox" supporting the UK Subs at Glasgow's Tiffany's Ballroom. That was meant to be final too!

dm999

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Seeing the Angelic Upstarts next Friday here in Bristol  :)