Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 99131 times)

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:28 AM »
Might have to think about changing my plans.

The Vibrators gig on 23rd April will apparently be the absolutely very last time that Knox plays live with the band.

He's slowing down and concentrating on his solo stuff.

I know the band have done a fair few gigs without Knox, especially during his illness and when he broke his arm, but you always knew he would be back eventually.

This sounds pretty final.

That's really bad news. Knox didn't mention that when I saw him 3 weeks ago. I bought his country album and he said he wanted to do some shows to promote that. At least the Vibes will keep going and Nigel did a great job when he filled in for Knox. Did you go to the gig DJ?

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
At least the Vibes will keep going and Nigel did a great job when he filled in for Knox. Did you go to the gig DJ?

I didn't go but I know a few folks who did so I've asked them if Knox made any kind of announcement. Also, Nigel left the band when Knox returned. He was paid by the gig as a 'guitar for hire' so I don't know if he'd be interested in going back to them. I think he's working on new material himself. We'll have to wait and see..

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »
I'd be interested to know if Knox did announce anything at the gig.
Just noticed this afternoon, on the day I found out Knox has gone, that a large crack has appeared on my framed signed poster of The Vibes 1st album! It's been hanging there for ages so no idea how it happened.
This from their site;

'KNOX, original vocalist/guitarist, is leaving the band after the Boston Arms gig on 23rd April 2011 to go solo. (He says: "I had all this other stuff I wanted to do, and kept on saying I'll do it one day. Well since turning 65 I realise I've got to do it now.") Nigel Bennett, former guitarist who filled in when Knox was ill, will be rejoining the band and the band will continue touring and recording.'

Hopefully Knox will continue to write if they carry on recording-he wrote 99% of their best songs.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
...Going to see Subway Sect and Department S meself next Friday at The Lexington...

Missed the first band all bar their last two songs - young and very punky, pretty good as well. Didn't catch their name but I think they were called The Ten O Sevens. Worth another listen.

Next up: London.

Never seen them before, even though the 'Friday On My Mind EP' was an early purchase in the Slaughterboy household. Not bad, but the lead singer (who I think I've seen in the crowd at loads of gigs) doesn't seem to have the charisma to match the songs.

Department S however were spot-on. A nigh-on faultless performance, although bassist Mark Taylor (who I've known a number of years now) griped to me at the bar afterwards '...Did you notice when my bass cut out? We've been doing this enough fucking years to get it right...'. Musicians eh? Sooo touchy!  ;D

Next: Vic and the boys.

Ahem. Good musicians, Vic's vox a bit off to say the least and, to me at least, a bit embarrassing to watch. I reckon though, with a bit more practice, they'll get a lot better. Vic himself certainly alluded to this at the end ('...We've got other gigs coming up...come and see us again...we'll be better...'). Certainly hope so for the sake's of anyone else planning to see them anytime soon. Good comedy moment when Vic told us that there were '...CD's, vinyl and stuff to be bought...' only for the rest of the band to start shaking their heads in disagreement behind him. '...Sorry - I was misinformed...' Vic muttered, albeit in a cheerfully ironic manner.

Also, a big thumbs-up for Tom Phobic who did a sterling job as the DJ for the evening. Certainly far better than the guy who came on after him who completely emptied the venue with his first track...
Down like a stick...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 05:27:20 PM »
This: http://www.last.fm/event/1882589+Fucked+Up+at+Village+Underground+on+20+May+2011

Fucked Up are a recent passion of mine. Do like a punk band with a big guy hollering his head off every now and then and FU are just that band. Never had Canandians down as anything other than good when it comes to a bit of fast, no-nonsense punk rock (Hanson Bros/No Means No always good fun) and FU are no exception.

Really looking forward to it  :)
Down like a stick...

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
Fucked Up were brilliant at Rebellion last year. I'm off to catch an acoustic set from Ginger tomorrow night, but must set up some more gigs!

Offline claret999

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »
Frightening thought Alan but Rebellion is only 3 months away!! I will be there but can`t book hotel yet because my shift changes on June 1st.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »
Notts County on Saturday - will they stay up?

Come on you Pies!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
Glad to hear you will be at Rebellion Chris - hope you can make the full 4 days!

Ginger was great last night and even did a fun version of White Riot... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ifcc_5Nvo  must get to some more gigs...

dm999

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 11:39:24 AM »
Seeing Viv Albertine here in Bristol tonight, enjoyed her show last year so really looking forward to this one  :)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
I saw John Cleese on Wednesday. Reviews were initially lukewarm, but he brought the house down with his anecdotes. Great stuff we thought.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 04:23:54 PM »
UK Subs, Red Flag 77 & Danger's Close tonight.

Cat Protection League's Spring Jumble Sale tomorrow. ;D

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Sonny Vincent at The Dirty Water Club/Boston Arms tonight  :)
Down like a stick...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
The Fall at bloody Koko (I hate that place - no proper beer on sale + terrible accoustics) Wed 1st June
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
These two guys probably:

CHRIS BROKAW / HUGO RACE TOUR OF EUROPE MAY 23-28

may 24 -- chris brokaw and hugo race
langenau, germany, at cafe kapilio

may 25 -- chris brokaw and hugo race
zurich, switzerland, at el lokal

may 27 -- chris brokaw and hugo race
leinfelden, germany, at edenless bar

may 28 -- chris brokaw and hugo race
stuttgart, germany, at laboratorium

CHRIS BROKAW SOLO TOUR OF EUROPE

may 21 -- chris brokaw solo
karlsruhe, germany, at die stadtmitte, w/THE FORGETTERS

may 22 -- chris brokaw solo
oberhausen, germany, at riwelho e.v.

june 3 -- chris brokaw solo
gent, belgium, house concert

june 10 -- chris brokaw solo
hartford, ct, at arch street tavern, w/guests TBA

june 11 -- chris brokaw solo
jamaica plain, ma, at the midway cafe, 2PM show, w/THE REAL KIDS and RICHARD MIRSKY in HEAVY SIRIP

june 12 -- chris brokaw solo
montpelier, vt, house concert

Just around the corner and miles away...