Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 99104 times)

Online EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #1050 on: August 04, 2017, 12:55:49 AM »
Plenty of new bands for me on Thursday at Rebellion. In no real order of likey - likely...
Buster Shuffle
Barstool Preachers
Spoilers
Choking Susan
Terminal Rage
Good Riddance
Funders
Viki Vortex
Retro poor though we're The Tuts... How dare they blasphem our name?
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 13, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »
Went to see 2 bands last night, hadn't seen them before (or heard much from them). Entry was cheap (10 euro if you arrived before the support band started), it was a Saturday and I was looking for action, so I decided to give it a go.
Arrived at the "Keller Klub" in Stuttgart before 8.30 and paid my tenner, Micha (promoter) informed me that support wouldn't start before 9, so I went out again to grab something to eat (it's in the city centre, so loads of choice there).
Went back and waited for Escape/Escape (describe themself as "dirty punk from Stuttgart") to begin. They were pretty good! Only been together for 8 months. Set included a cover of Midnight Oil's "Beds are burning" (punky version, not bad)!

Then The Mis-Made came on, all-girl "punk" from Australia. (A bit in the vein of Hole, L7 and so on.) Really good, they have good songs and obviously had fun performing them together. They rocked the audience (not a very huge crowd for a Saturday night, but never mind, the band gave their all), I really enjoyed it.  8)
https://themismade.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ns39sDGcc

(They'll play Edinburgh on Aug 16th, if you happen to be around go and catch them!)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:41:32 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 18, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Short notice of a Membranes gig on Sept 22nd in Stuttgart (again a special offer: 10 euro on the night, no advance tickets), apparently they're also supporting The Sisters Of Mercy a couple of days before (but I won't be going to that).
Also, I want to see Louise Distras supporting King Blues on Sept 20th. (Not sure if I can make both gigs...)

October should be "busy" too, with Paul James Berry playing Esslingen (Oct 13th), Duncan Reid in Augsburg (Oct 27th)...
and it continues like this throughout Nov-Dec (e.g. Godfathers on Dec 9th)!

In August not that much any more, maybe Roman Wreden & band (described as "folk pop noir").
Obstwiesenfestival (free) is this weekend, but the weather + my workload will probably keep me away.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:59:36 AM by Uli »

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 18, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
Punk rock at The Birds Nest, Deptford tonight with The Satellites, Morgellons and The Phobics.

I'll be down the front, writhing around in or, more likely, under the mosh  ::)
Down like a stick...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 19, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »
Punk rock at The Birds Nest, Deptford tonight with The Satellites, Morgellons and The Phobics.

I'll be down the front, writhing around in or, more likely, under the mosh  ::)

Couldn't get anywhere near the front. Very busy last night was the wunnerful Bird's Nest.

Unfortunately, due to illness, Morgellons couldn't play. This gave the other two bands more stage time. First up: from West London, The Satellites.

Down and dirty punk 'n' roll from down and dirty gentlemen old enough to know wetter. They were very good. Will look out for them again.

The Phobics were making a return to their spiritual home, hence the big crowd. I saw their first ever gig, just a bottle's throw from the pub, twenty-odd years ago. It was pleasing to see that many of the faces at that fledgling gig way back when were again in presence last night. The hour or so that they were on stage flew by, rattling bones, eardrums and Achilles tendons in all directions. The Big Boot elevates me to over six foot when I stand, stork-like, on one foot, giving me great views to take photos from which, of course, I didn't take advantage of! :D

Good to see Gaye there too.

Great night  :)
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 21, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
Cool review, thanks!  8)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 25, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »
I went to Duffy's in Leicester last night to catch the second night of the Kirk Brandon/Sam Sansbury (on Cello) "Akoustik" tour. Duffy's is an Irish pub with a long thin back room used for gigs. This was far too small for the very healthy crowd that turned out (always a rarity on summer tours I find) with far too many tables and chairs crushed in close to the stage. This meant that it was a real scramble for any latecomers (I'd picked a spot against the bar when I came in and stuck to it - I'm not daft!) and this lead to some interesting "fluid mechanics" over the evening.

But to the music!

Great stuff. I loved the twist it gave to his songs when Lou Reed had a cello in his band and, similarly, the Kirk/Sam duo gave some lovely treatments to the usual suspect Theatre of Hate/Spear of Destiny classics (i.e. most of the singles/"hits"). Some lovely album tracks thrown in too - and I'm very pleased to report that several came from what many (myself included) consider to be Spear's best album, Religion. Proof of this was that the best reception of the night wasn't for "Westworld" or "The Wheel", etc., but for "Judas" from Volunteers.

Get along if you can:

https://www.kirkbrandon.com/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:51:14 PM by Fred21 »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 27, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »
Nice review, Fred!  8)

Last night I watched "Roman Wreden & band" in the garden of the "Raetsche" in Geislingen. Quite a huge garden with a nice "open air" stage. About 100 people there, I think. Was nice to listen to the (mostly) quiet, melancholy music on this summery night.  :)
http://www.romanwreden.de/

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 27, 2017, 01:41:50 PM »
Thanks Uli - it was a nice gig. I don't know if they plan to return to the continent anytime soon, but if so, well worth catching.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 30, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »
Back from our annual trip to Lincoln.

Next gig is Spizz and The Wall on Saturday.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 01, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
I'm been swithering about whether or not to leave the happy memories I have of The Skids in the past, or risk endangering them by going to see "Skid Country" tonight.

Support from The Angelic Upstarts of all people!

Think I'll risk it...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 01, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »

;D

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 01, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »
Been and got a bloomin' ticket now!

I'll report back...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 01, 2017, 11:25:33 PM »
Upstarts surprisingly good.

Skids absolutely brilliant - fuller report to follow - need beer!