Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 96436 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #1065 on: September 02, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
Skids absolutely brilliant - fuller report to follow

Good idea not to listen to me!
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 02, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
I got to Rock City nice and early last night to get a spot on the front barrier and struck up a conversation with Shaun who was back in his hometown for family reasons. Much reminiscing about old punk bands, etc. ensued…

The Angelic Upstarts played a 45 minute set filled with most, but not all, of their “hits”. Surprisingly good and MUCH improved since the last time I saw them when Mensi filled half their stage time with long, rambling “chats” between songs that made Jake Burns’ song introductions seem brief! Anyway… good stuff.

There was a quick turnaround for an 8.30 start (club night to follow the gig – curfew at 10 PM) and The Skids entered to a belting version of “Animation”. Richard Jobson still does his characteristic “dancing” (“I call it movement” he said) and displayed as much enthusiasm and energy as the last time I saw them back in 1980 at the Glasgow Apollo.

Only Richard Jobson and Mike Bailey remain from that line up, although original bassist Bill Simpson (who looks a lot like Phil/EKTAFF from this very forum – and you never see them together in the same room at the same time) was back in the fold. Guitar was supplied by Bruce Watson (Stuart Adamson’s rhythm guitarist in the awful Big Country) and his son Jamie (who looks a hell of a lot like Alan’s son, Chris Smith – and you never see them together in the same room at the same time either!). Actually, Richard ripped the piss out of him by introducing him as Ed Sheeran before leading the audience in TWO choruses of “Ed Sheeran is a wanker” – I don’t think he likes Ed!

Between them, the Watson’s did a much better job that I feared having seen/heard some of their earlier efforts on TV/YouTube, etc. I do wish Bruce would have a bit more fun though – he obviously finds those guitar parts very tricky as he does stand and stare at his fingers when he’s playing and I hate that. The place for “perfection” is in the studio – make the odd mistake and put in more energy live please!

Anyway… The set consisted of most, but not all, of their hits (e.g. no Sweet Suburbia, Goodbye Civilian, etc.) and some cracking album tracks. Richard said that they had been looking forward to playing at the “Legendary Rock City and that they wanted to rip the roof off!” Given what was a very healthy crowd for a summer gig (eventually – I don’t think the early club night-related start helped) they damn near achieved this. The main set closed and the band were quickly encouraged back on stage by the Nottingham crowd’s rousing rendition of “Woman in Winter” for an encore including the legendary “TV Stars (ALBERT TATLOCK!)”. The “Woman in Winter” trick worked again and they returned to play “Of One Skin” again – “We haven’t learned enough Skids songs!” said Richard, before promising a return next year to support their new album (of which nothing was played last night). And with that, the 10 PM curfew had passed and Shaun and I went round the corner to The Rescue Rooms where much reminiscing about old punk bands, etc. continued…

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1067 on: September 04, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
Leeds O2 on saturday to see the Psychedelic Furs playing all their singles- some of which I hadn't realised were released as singles. Anyway they were excellent, perfect sound and the current lineup is their best in  my opinion- the sax player and drummer were amazing. Which can't be said for the awful Lene Lovich who was supporting.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 20, 2017, 08:53:25 AM »
The King Blues supported by Louise Distras tonight, hope I can make it!  8)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1069 on: September 20, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »
I got to Rock City nice and early last night to get a spot on the front barrier and struck up a conversation with Shaun who was back in his hometown for family reasons. Much reminiscing about old punk bands, etc. ensued…

The Angelic Upstarts played a 45 minute set filled with most, but not all, of their “hits”. Surprisingly good and MUCH improved since the last time I saw them when Mensi filled half their stage time with long, rambling “chats” between songs that made Jake Burns’ song introductions seem brief! Anyway… good stuff.

There was a quick turnaround for an 8.30 start (club night to follow the gig – curfew at 10 PM) and The Skids entered to a belting version of “Animation”. Richard Jobson still does his characteristic “dancing” (“I call it movement” he said) and displayed as much enthusiasm and energy as the last time I saw them back in 1980 at the Glasgow Apollo.

Only Richard Jobson and Mike Bailey remain from that line up, although original bassist Bill Simpson (who looks a lot like Phil/EKTAFF from this very forum – and you never see them together in the same room at the same time) was back in the fold. Guitar was supplied by Bruce Watson (Stuart Adamson’s rhythm guitarist in the awful Big Country) and his son Jamie (who looks a hell of a lot like Alan’s son, Chris Smith – and you never see them together in the same room at the same time either!). Actually, Richard ripped the piss out of him by introducing him as Ed Sheeran before leading the audience in TWO choruses of “Ed Sheeran is a wanker” – I don’t think he likes Ed!

Between them, the Watson’s did a much better job that I feared having seen/heard some of their earlier efforts on TV/YouTube, etc. I do wish Bruce would have a bit more fun though – he obviously finds those guitar parts very tricky as he does stand and stare at his fingers when he’s playing and I hate that. The place for “perfection” is in the studio – make the odd mistake and put in more energy live please!

Anyway… The set consisted of most, but not all, of their hits (e.g. no Sweet Suburbia, Goodbye Civilian, etc.) and some cracking album tracks. Richard said that they had been looking forward to playing at the “Legendary Rock City and that they wanted to rip the roof off!” Given what was a very healthy crowd for a summer gig (eventually – I don’t think the early club night-related start helped) they damn near achieved this. The main set closed and the band were quickly encouraged back on stage by the Nottingham crowd’s rousing rendition of “Woman in Winter” for an encore including the legendary “TV Stars (ALBERT TATLOCK!)”. The “Woman in Winter” trick worked again and they returned to play “Of One Skin” again – “We haven’t learned enough Skids songs!” said Richard, before promising a return next year to support their new album (of which nothing was played last night). And with that, the 10 PM curfew had passed and Shaun and I went round the corner to The Rescue Rooms where much reminiscing about old punk bands, etc. continued…

I give you a "passing resemblance"
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 21, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
Due to an early start, I missed most of Louise's set.  :(
I've been to the "Goldmark's" bar/venue many times, but this time it was a different promoter (Music Circus), even though Micha (who promotes 80% of the smaller "punkrock" shows in Stuttgart) was present (to get rid of his flyers).
I was pretty early (compared to other gigs I saw there), must've been around 8.15pm. I heard Louise Distras playing inside when I arrived at the door (and it wasn't the soundcheck). I paid my 16 euro and went in to hear the last 3 songs, which were good (yeah and she still sounds like she "learned" a lot from TV). Quite disappointing to have missed most of it. Oh well, hope to catch her again some other time, maybe when her album will be out next year.
The King Blues: first chord and I knew why they sold ear plugs at the entrance...  :o Didn't like the singing much at first, but I got used to it. They played a very varied set, including lots of influences from folk, pop, reggae to (punk)rock. Very enjoyable.  8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 23, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
Friday night and time for another gig. Promoter Micha put on a "last minute" show with The Membranes (who had a "day off" while being support on the Sisters Of Mercy tour). Only 10 Euro and that was well worth it!  8)

After a journey by car and subway I arrive at the "Keller Klub" and see a familiar silhouette on the pavement, yes it's John Robb. I read some of his articles on "LTW" and saw his face on many pics, but never managed to see him live until today. Support band "Ann My Guard" have just started by the sound of it, so I go downstairs. It's some kind of "melodic metal" (w/ female vocals) and sounds quite exactly like I'd imagined it to. Not really my cup of tea, but apart from using backing tapes (wimps) it's well played, can't say they were bad at all.
Sadly not many people are in (even though it's Friday and costs only a tenner), but The Membranes play a great gig anyway. I like their kind of "post-punk" sound and John Robb as bass player & "frontman" certainly knows how to "work a crowd". The last song (before the encores) has some longer instrumental parts which give me some kind of "high" with goose bumps and all that...  8)
Of course I go to buy the CD at the merch desk afterwards (yeah as if I hadn't bought enough new albums recently), it's only a tenner after all and John Robb kindly signs it for me. I chat to him for a while, mentioning that I do read LTW from time to time (he says Germany is #3 from the countries which reach to his site). When asked how they did get on the Sisters tour, he replies he just asked via email and they said "yes". (Must admit I used to like some of the Sisters stuff 30 years ago, but when nothing new came up after 1993, I quickly gave up on them...) He seems pleased with how things went in UK for the Membranes (the album apparently being better received than expected plus sold out clubs).
Anyway, it was nice to chat to him, The Membranes plan to tour here next year, guess I'll be there!

Pic (again unashamedly stolen from FB, so far no-one has sued me...):
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:52:12 AM by Uli »

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 23, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »
A good pic to nick, Uli  ;)
Down like a stick...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: October 03, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »
Skegness schedule is up so...

FRIDAY: Hexed, Freedom Faction, Emergency Bitter, Hands Off Gretel, Knock Off, Buzzcocks, Headline Maniac

SATURDAY: John Otway Band, Eddie & The Hot Rods, Sugar Louise, Zeitgeist 77, Monkish, Klammer, The Vapors, Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects

SUNDAY: Ed Tudor Pole, Department S, Hung Like Hanratty, Hazard, Duncan Reid And The Big Heads, Theatre Of Hate, Skids OR Stiff Little Fingers (schedule clash...Doh!), Ruts DC...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: October 03, 2017, 10:02:57 PM »
I'd recommend that you see The Skids as they get together far less frequently than SLF and were BRILLIANT when I saw them a few weeks ago. Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a ball - enjoy!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: October 05, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »
I'd recommend that you see The Skids as they get together far less frequently than SLF and were BRILLIANT when I saw them a few weeks ago. Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a ball - enjoy!

Cheers Fred. Yes, Skids, another one to tick off Xa's 'never seen them' list.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: October 05, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
Nice one - I hope you have a ball matey!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: October 05, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »
Dead Boys coming to Nottingham next year!

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1078 on: October 06, 2017, 03:47:46 PM »
Went to see "War Horse" last night.

Superb production.
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: October 06, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
Went to see "War Horse" last night.

What's that?