Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 99188 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #1125 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »
TV and Dr Feelgood should be a great night.

I know that they're actually a 'Dr Feelgood' rather than the Dr Feelgood, but Lee wanted the band to continue and the current members now have well over 100 years of service to the band between them!

They're still well worth seeing, after all, you don't stop supporting your football club when the last player you watched when you were a kid retires.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 08, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »
...you don't stop supporting your football club when the last player you watched when you were a kid retires.

Would have saved myself a whole lot of time, a huge amount of frustration and a wheelbarrow full of money if I had!

I guess I've seen enough bands where there have been less than 50% of the original line up over the years but, in some instances, you look at who's left and decide that all the flavour has been sucked out of the lolly: there's nothing left to savour.

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this.
Down like a stick...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 09, 2017, 12:31:25 AM »
Very true - but sometimes a "band" is really just it's leader (think PiL) and other bands have all the original members and still manage to be crap (too numerous to list!).

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1128 on: November 09, 2017, 01:21:19 PM »
Ever jammed with them?
No- did the sound check with Art once in Edinburgh as the others hadn't arrived.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 09, 2017, 03:06:08 PM »
Very true - but sometimes a "band" is really just it's leader (think PiL) and other bands have all the original members and still manage to be crap (too numerous to list!).

Wasn't that the point about your comment on Ken going to watch TV but go when Dr Feelgood start? Much to admire about the current guys for sure, but without Lee and Wilko? Not so sure.

Agree about some bands being one-headed though. Saw The Fall go through their 57 varieties nearly 90 times in what was in all honesty about 20 different bands. Much as I liked the Hanleys, Craig Scanlon and was on first name terms with various members over the last 25 years or so, it was really only MES that you went to see. That the others left or were fired made no difference.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:22:05 PM by slaughterboy »
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 09, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »
Next? Weather is turning bad, might be snow next week, but if possible I'll go see Jumbo Jet (bit of an ironic noise/punk band, currently reformed due to Sea & Air taking a break)...

Terry Lee Hale will play in Tuebingen, same day as Rezillos are in Stuttgart and Spizz in Karlsruhe.  ::)

They're still well worth seeing, after all, you don't stop supporting your football club when the last player you watched when you were a kid retires.

Are The Beatles or The Jimi Hendrix Experience still on the road?  ;D  ;D
(Sometimes it's better to stop, sometimes it's good when they go on and on and on...)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 09, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »
Not quite sure you've followed my argument there Uli...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 10, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »

I did, even to the max (i.e. if the players we watched as kids retire and get replaced, those bands could go on forever, like a football club)!  ;D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 11, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »
Just in case anyone planned to see The Lurkers tonight (yes you Slaughterboy!):
(from Facebug:)
MESSAGE FROM ARTURO RE: TONIGHT'S GIG AT THE NEW CROSS LONDON:
"Due to illness in the ranks, I'm sorry to say that The Lurkers won't be playing the New Cross Inn tonight. Nothing serious, but a stomach bug which has taken it's toll on my ability to perform.
Big apologies, but you can never tell when the ballroom blitz is gonna hit you.
See you down the same venue on December 9th with 999 with an industrial sized amount of Immodium and a giant butt plug.
Big thanks to all who came to see us in Sheffield and Langley Mill this weekend. We had a great time.
All the best!"

Hm, a stomach bug, I did throw up last night, but gladly feeling better today...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:06:39 PM by Uli »

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 11, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
Oh sh*t!!  ::)
Down like a stick...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 11, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
Thanks anyway Uli  :)

Got a text message about 5 mins ago from Tom Phobic informing me of the same, but it's good to know these things as soon as possible.
Down like a stick...

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1136 on: November 11, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »
Louise Distras in Dover on Wednesday..
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 12, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
Thanks anyway Uli  :)

My pleasure; when I read Arturo's message, the name "New Cross Inn" rang a bell somehow, then I looked in here...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 12, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »
The 100 Club was excellent last night.

Only about 3/4 full but I always find that at this time of year. And no trains running in the East doesn't help. All the usual suspects in The Ship before hand. And a few people who came over 'cause of Arturo's Lurker's cancelling their gig at the New Cross Inn.

The Featherz are now a 5 piece and have a fuller sound but still have half a set of covers. They entertained. Mass sing-a-long top Bowie's 'Moonage Daydream'. And, incidentally, Danie is the guest vocalist on the new single by the 'other' Lurkers (Pete Stride, Nigel Moore & Esso). It's out on 'Human Punk' records and they were the promoters of tonight's gig.

On Trial were as punk as On Trial always are. Nice set. They're 4 albums in now and a 5th due.

London SS made the 100 Club feel like we'd been transported back to New York in 1973 or something. Surprisingly good especially 'Sick On You', and as guitarist Eunan Brady played on the original Hollywood Brats version a bit of a treat. Obviously none of the more famous original members but a good band nonetheless. I bought their EP of original songs and I'll be giving that a spin once I've woken up a bit.

The Members were really tight with 'new boy' Calle Engelmarc's guitar giving the old songs a new 'oomph' and his input bodes well for the new studio stuff to come. Nice new 'best off' CD/album which finally sees ALL their 7" singles for different labels on one release.

And a quick journey home saw us indoors by 12.30. And when the Elizabeth Line opens we'll be able to do 'door to door' in 37 minutes. That'll be nice. :)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »

I did, even to the max (i.e. if the players we watched as kids retire and get replaced, those bands could go on forever, like a football club)!  ;D

OK, but there's still a big difference between a band splitting and it's members being replaced and it keeping going - think "Glenn Miller Orchestra" (going since the 1930's) and "The Platters" (since the 50's).