Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 99210 times)

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #1140 on: November 13, 2017, 12:59:57 AM »
Alice Cooper- Leeds Arena. Not to keen on the big venues and this new one didn't change my mind. Miised the first half of The Tubes set which made me wish I missed the second half too. Fee's band wore white with flat caps. They looked like The Rubettes but sadly didn't sound as good. Worse was to come-The Mission. Fucking awful. The guy next to me said they were like a shit U2. I helpfully pointed out that he just needed to say tHey were like U2. Then Alice put on a great show as always, couple from the new album but no Elected again. Big bonus was the appearance of the original band for the last few songs- Bruce, Dunnaway and Smith. Both bands played the final song, Schools Out meaning there were 2 drummers, 2 bassists and 5 guitarists. Will be seeing him again in Manchester, but not the support acts.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 14, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
Thanks for your reviews folks (from places as different as the 100 Club vs. Leeds Arena)!  8)

OK, but there's still a big difference between a band splitting and it's members being replaced and it keeping going - think "Glenn Miller Orchestra" (going since the 1930's) and "The Platters" (since the 50's).

Strangely, I've listened to The Platters' "My Prayer" quite often, as it is on the "Twin Peaks songtrack" (apparently a David Lynch was one of their singers - at least he could sing better than his name cousin, the director/artist...)!

Many bands nowadays deliver "note-for-note" renditions of their old faves (same as cover bands do - or try to do), however I'm not sure that "rock music" was supposed to be like that...  :-\
Of course, if you have an orchestra playing the works of Beethoven, Bach, Mozart ... you expect them to be "note for note" like the "masters" wrote them down.
Rock'n'roll however, was once supposed to be more spontaneous, rebellious, free(-form). Nowadays you got people complaining if a punk rock drummer isn't keeping time like a rhythm machine...  ::)
But I guess I digress...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:55:34 AM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1142 on: November 16, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »
Louise Distras in Dover on Wednesday..

So a new venue for me "The Booking Hall" in Dover, which was a former railway station in the town.  parking spaces for about 6 cars and then the nearest space was a 10-minute walk away.

First on was Riskee & the Redicule, a good 4-piece with plenty of local support the came (for me) the highlight in Louise..  the last time that I saw her was about 3 years ago, supporting TV in Derby/Leeds, she still has that incredible voice, unfortunatly there were only about 15 - 20 listening to her, with another 50 or so "at the bar" and from about 40 foot away, i could hear them over Louise's voice..  Let's just say that Louise reacted!!!..  after 20 minutes and 5 songs she just jumpred off the stage and dissapeared not to be seen for the rest of the evening..   Last on was Itch, from the King Blues, excellent stuff from him and a 90 minute set, before a 10-minute walk back to the car...

A good evening, but could have been better...
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 16, 2017, 04:59:39 PM »
... then the nearest space was a 10-minute walk away.

Same here. When looking for a parking space near the venue "Eden" in Ulm last night, I had to give up and walk for a little while too.  ::)
When I arrived, support band had probably just started, called "I saw Daylight", some kinda local hardcore band... not bad. Said hi to my mate who also was the birthday boy yesterday. Later I bought him a cola (he didn't want beer for the reason of getting up early today). Then Jumbo Jet were on, they do the "ironic bit" with a lot of moshing and screaming on stage (the guitarist had a Bon Jovi t-shirt on - I'm sure he doesn't even like 'em), telling stupid jokes between songs etc. This is the "reunion" of an old band, which existed 10 years ago, nowadays the members have different projects, which are taking a break now, thus the reunion... Hard to believe that Eleni, who sings in a heavenly voice in "Sea&Air", can scream like this.  :o
Their songs are "complicated", sometimes quite melodic at first, with a lot of breaks and then sudden eruptions with grinding/screaming and so on.
It was interesting and a nice evening, but I hope Sea & Air will do something new again next year (or so).  8)

A good evening, but could have been better...

Sounds a bit like the night I had when Louise supported The King Blues in Stuttgart, I was late and missed most of her set...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:01:23 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 19, 2017, 02:48:01 PM »
There have been a lot of "40th Anniversary" shows over the last couple of years and, having missed out on several for health/distance reasons, I wasn't going to miss out on the UK Subs 40th Anniversary Party. A venue holding a few hundred in Nuneaton clearly doesn't compare to The Damned at the RAH, but I thought it would be a bit special. You were offered a glass of bubbly as you entered and a copy of the gig poster as you left - but what of in between these events?

Well, I got there early to get a beer and a spot right up the front (I'm not daft!) and there was a great atmosphere. The event kicked off with Alvin coming on to say that they were going to do two 13 song sets (one per album - they had been 'voted' for, although this was to 'guide' the band rather than binding) with an interval in between and that they had only rehearsed the new songs yesterday. Sounds a tad worrying I thought - and so it proved.

When the Subs were on familiar territory, they were great, although the sound was awful up the front. Charlie asked for the guitar to be turned up and I could hardly hear it either. The "rarities" performed were often full of mistakes and word-sheets abounded. Worse, Charlie couldn't find the word sheets for some and it proved a bit embarrassing at times.

The break between the two mini-sets just served to let the atmosphere sag and they would have been far better blasting straight through, after all, 26 UK Subs songs only last about an hour live - prog rock they ain't!

They were largely back on familiar ground for the encores as they rounded off an event I was glad to have attended, but it could have been much more special. If I had been Jamie and had put so much time and effort into organising this (even putting together a film montage introduction), when all my band mates had to do was learn a few extra songs and play them competently, I'd have been rather pissed off. I suspect that there will have to be a lot of careful 'editing' (i.e. re-recording) for the proposed DVD of this gig. It was also interesting that they didn't keep the repeat of the live stream up for very long afterwards either.

Overall, a good night, but this was largely down to the die-hard fans that had come from far afield (I was surrounded by Germans and Scots) and Jamie's efforts rather than a concerted effort by the band.

6/10: I was really looking forward to this, but I think I've got the Subs out of my system for a while as they usually play better than this at a regular gig - a shame.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 20, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
Thanx for yer review! 8)
Worse, Charlie couldn't find the word sheets for some and it proved a bit embarrassing at times.
The break between the two mini-sets just served to let the atmosphere sag and they would have been far better blasting straight through, after all, 26 UK Subs songs only last about an hour live...

They were largely back on familiar ground for the encores as they rounded off an event I was glad to have attended, but it could have been much more special. ... It was also interesting that they didn't keep the repeat of the live stream up for very long afterwards either.

Sounds like it could've been (a lot) better...  ::)

I was surrounded by Germans and Scots

Sounds horrible!  ;D

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 20, 2017, 11:40:43 PM »
They could have, and they were good company!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 06, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »
I'm out to lunch... well Lydia Lunch & band, later tonight.

http://www.motorcityrock.de/events/detail/5717/lydia-lunch-retrovirus-usa-bass-sick-shit-d.html

Enjoy: they were excellent in London last year
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 07, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »
Wish I could've... in the evening I felt very unwell with an upcoming head cold (incl. trouble with the ear).  :(  :(  :(

Hope it'll be better until Saturday, when The Godfathers play!!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 10, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
Well I did make it to the Godfathers' show last night!  :)
It was a rough day, very cold. When I arrived, quite a few people were there already at "Goldmarks" pub. Most of them looked how I felt: old and tired...  :o
Anyway, once The Godfathers started with "This is war", any tiredness was blown away by their sheer energy! "If I only had time" followed, one of my faves.
(Anyone who says he/she likes guitar-based rock'n'roll music, but does not like the Godfathers, must be DEAF!)
They really rocked the house and played many old hits like "Love is dead" next to the new ones - most of these, in my opinion, are as good as the old ones, especially "Till my heart stops". In one case I recognised a song but didn't know the title and thought "must be from early 90s", until I realised it was one from the new album ("One good reason")!
Peter Coyne said they liked Germany (with the notable exception of "Fritz cola" - well I hardly ever drink any cola, so I don't really know the difference), he also commented a few late arrivals with a nice "missed the best songs", ha ha.  ;D
Last song before the encore was "Birth School Work Death", last encore was a cover of "Blitzkrieg Bop"!

Of course, this being a Saturday, there was a "disco" afterwards, so I was on my way home already before 11pm - after a short chat with promoter Micha, who told me that he needs to find new venues for weekends, as it is often the problem that there is a "curfew" because of disco after the bands (when he has 2 bands playing it will be difficult to be finished by 11)...  ::)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:07:24 AM by Uli »

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1151 on: December 11, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »
Glad you enjoyed The Godfathers Uli.
2 gigs for me last week- Rocket From The Crypt in Leeds. Venue was sold out and they were godd but not at their best. Couldn't hear the sax.
Then 999 at the New Cross Inn, London. They played very well, good to see Pablo back too. My first visit to this venue and was impressed- good atmosphere and a real ale bar downstairs. Support band were The Blue Carpet Band- dumb name but pretty good.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 14, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »
Just got tickets for The Mekons (1977 original line-up) at The 100 Club in April.
Support from my friends The Wolfhounds.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 15, 2017, 07:48:50 AM »
Just got tickets for The Mekons (1977 original line-up) at The 100 Club in April.
Support from my friends The Wolfhounds.

Got introduced to the guys from The Wolfhounds at last year's Stewart Lee hosted ATP festival in Prestatyn. Nice blokes, good music.
Down like a stick...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 15, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »
So far I've got...

SATURDAY 23RD DECEMBER 2017 DEPARTMENT S / RUTS DC - THE 100 CLUB

SATURDAY 20TH JANUARY 2018 TV SMITH / DR. FEELGOOD - THE BORDERLINE

WEDNESDAY 7TH FEBRUARY 2018 THE DAMNED - WESTCLIFF (SOUTHEND)

FRIDAY 23RD MARCH 2018 THE MEN THAT WILL NOT BE BLAMED FOR NOTHING - THE DOME (TUFNELL PARK)

FRIDAY 13TH APRIL 2018 THE WOLFHOUNDS / THE MEKONS - THE 100 CLUB

SATURDAY 9TH JUNE 2018 - RED FLAG 77 - THE STEAMBOAT (IPSWICH)
(Who me and Xa are booking to play to celebrate our 30th Anniversary the following day and it'll be free entry for anyone who fancies the trip...)

....and then nothing else booked until Skegness in October. But that'll change....