Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 131370 times)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #1200 on: October 04, 2018, 03:38:24 PM »
I wonder what inspired the flowers and dead bird motif? It is indeed uncannily like "Land of the Overdose" meets "In the Arms of my Enemy"!

They obviously know a quality sleeve.
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 04, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
...or two!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: October 04, 2018, 08:16:35 PM »
I wonder what inspired the flowers and dead bird motif? It is indeed uncannily like "Land of the Overdose" meets "In the Arms of my Enemy"!

Dunno: didn't have time to ask.

Watched Terry Edwards and Mark Bedford in their band 'Near Jazz Experience'. Ok, but I prefer their other various bands.

Stewart Lee did an updated version of his 80's club act, which was good fun. I've seen him do it before, but he adds topical things each time, which keeps it fresh.

The Nightingales are a rolling mawl of a band, taking no prisoners and no breaks. I like them (and their lookie-likey lp covers) a lot.
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: October 06, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »
The Nightingales are a rolling mawl of a band, taking no prisoners and no breaks.

They're gonna play a bar in Ulm in November, I heard. Not sure if I can make it. Saw them once before, in 2009, that was a pretty good night out.  8)

Dirtmusic have a few dates nearby - one of them I will got to, just not sure which one yet.

Other than that, no big plans. Will see what comes along...  8)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 11, 2018, 08:56:38 AM »
Will see what comes along...

Hm, tonight in a small town called Obermarchtal: The Soapgirls and The Franklys... could be fun...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 11, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VgcxE9Lpw

...unless, of course, you are only there to listen!!!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: October 11, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
Quite frankly, I wouldn't know where to look at with a stage show like this:  :o
However, youtube seems to have a problem with some of their live vids...
I didn't know much about them before I heard about this gig. (Made me wonder how they put on such gigs in a rather "sleepy" little town in Swabia!)

Quite frankly, I thought The Franklys sounded quite good (they're gonna play Stuttgart next week w/ another band from Japan - this gig I knew about before the one in Obermarchtal).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n33_rvBhmAs

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: October 11, 2018, 03:22:05 PM »
Hmm... So Maggie Thatcher is NOT dead, but playing bass for The Soapgirls then?

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 12, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
So Maggie Thatcher is NOT dead, but playing bass for The Soapgirls then?

Nah, without that mask the bass player looks pretty normal... ok, they had "extravagant" costumes... musically I got to say: the support band was much, much better!  :o

My review:
So I drive the 40km to the little town of Obermarchtal - "or is it more like a village?" I think to myself as I drive through the streets - how anyone can put on "punk" gigs here is beyond me! What would e.g. my neighbours say about such "noise"?

Anyway, the "Kreuz" (name I heard before, but never been there) is easy to find, as it seems to be THE pub in the town centre. Somehow I sense that the ground floor pub is not where the gigs happen, so I take a side staircase to the upper floor, where I find a nice room (after I pay the 15 Euro) and there are quite a few people in! (No-one seems bothered about me arriving, which is unusual for such a sleepy little town too...) Fortunately I don't have time to hang around for long, as The Franklys are starting their show. And already with the first song I realise they are just as good as I hoped they would be!!  :)
From the garage-y guitar sound to the energy they radiate, they deliver exactly what I came here for! Good songs, good performance, they seem to have fun. The audience is pretty enthusiastic, they even get asked to do an encore (which they happily oblige to). Of course, I buy the cd from their drummer and tell her I might be there next week when they play in Stuttgart. This is their first gig in southern Germany, they'll play Lindau & Munich next, I think.
Check them out if you can, you won't be disappointed if you like "garage rock"!  8)

http://www.thefranklys.com/

Then The Soapgirls come on, these two sisters are obviously "not PC", they swear a lot and throw abuse at each other. Apparently they played here before and joke about Obermarchtal being the "drug capital of Germany". They have a red-haired drummer (but that's about all he has in common with Ratty...). They're not bad, a bit in the "grunge" vein; however their songs are pretty "basic", which (to my ears) makes the gig rather "monotonous" after a while.
Later they ask two males out of the audience on stage, what follows is pretty "anarchic" & funny, but a bit embarrassing too, as it includes diapers and chocolate... (No, I didn't take any photos, you had to be there, on the pics this could be misunderstood too easily...)  :-[
One encore gets played and I leave after 11.30pm (still puzzled about no complaints from the neighbours). Gotta admit, I would've left at that point even if they'd done another encore...
https://thesoapgirls.com/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:33:58 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: October 12, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »
Nice review thanks Uli. We now all believe that you went for the support band and only waited for The Soapgirls to see if Maggie turned up. Many thanks for forcing yourself to do that for us. Much appreciated.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: October 12, 2018, 01:18:49 PM »
To be honest, I'd only heard about them and their antics. They didn't exactly start out as punk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya4HmI_w3x4

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: October 12, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
Indeed, that is horrible "pop" music. Now their sound is more grunge/punk I guess (i.e. a little better)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpvxyuy5Yik

Only "song" I knew was called "Johnny Rotten", about a South African serial killer (well that's what they said).

Nice review thanks Uli. We now all believe that you went for the support band and only waited for The Soapgirls to see if Maggie turned up. Many thanks for forcing yourself to do that for us.

Yeah well, I do have some experience with "Tits" (as opposed to "Tuts")...  ::)
Nothing wrong with tits hanging out, but it's not that special something to drag me to a gig (anymore - dirty old man that I am, but that's not enough!).   ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:28:56 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 12, 2018, 02:14:45 PM »
Hanging out with tits is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4O4cvAv1pA

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1213 on: Yesterday at 02:13:51 PM »
TRB in Canterbury next Tuesday (23rd), hope its better supported than his last visit in 2001
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable