Author Topic: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)  (Read 139455 times)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gig reviews & who are you going to see next (other than...)
« Reply #1215 on: October 25, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
TRB in Canterbury next Tuesday (23rd), hope its better supported than his last visit in 2001

Was certainly not disappointed in this outing.

It was part of the Canterbury Festival and was staged in the Spiegeltent, which a number of Canterbury businesses have sponsored …

Lee Griffiths opened with a 20 minute set, then the band did the 1st side of Power in the Darkness  a 5 min break while you took the album off the turntable, turned it over , blew the dust off and played the 2nd side.  Encore was Martin, Gay & 2-4.  2nd encore was War Baby.

A good sized crowd about 250 (all seated though), a bit of standing to the sides, so a small mash ensued (5 of us!!) Les (Fruitbat) from Carter was in situ, so a pint with him before the gig was embibed.

Tomorrow night, a trip to Margit for Rezillos, then Saturday night, a violin concert in the Cathedral…  Oh what an eclectic mix.....

Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 29, 2018, 09:41:50 AM »
Sounds like he did the same set as he did at The 100 Club, right down to the encores. Hardly surprising, given the material that TRB did. Glad you enjoyed it, Phil  :)
Down like a stick...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 29, 2018, 09:44:31 AM »
Have had to postpone my football club Xmas do as it clashes with 999 playing at The New Cross Inn on Saturday 8th December.

My teammates are unimpressed but hey, what do they know?!
Down like a stick...

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1218 on: October 30, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »
Have had to postpone my football club Xmas do as it clashes with 999 playing at The New Cross Inn on Saturday 8th December.

My teammates are unimpressed but hey, what do they know?!
I'll be there too- hopefully after seeing City turn Chelsea over.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 31, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »
And hopefully I'll be celebrating by seeing Hull off back up the M1 with nothing to show for the journey, except our jeers ringing in their ears.

Pints shall be consumed, either way 👍
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 03, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »
Dirtmusic is a band/project I really wanted to see on this tour... (more info about them below).

It was the first gig of this tour. I arrived late (been to the venue "Raetsche" in Geislingen many times, but only once it had started early, all other gigs started sometime between 8.30 and 9pm), thus missing at least 20 mins of the gig.  :(

Not very fittingly for this hypnotic, groovy kind of music, seats were set out across the venue floor (ok, it made the room look a bit fuller - sadly not too many people in), I kept standing at the back (where the sound was far from perfect and all in all a bit loud)... later I changed over to the other side, where I had more space.

The music was good (except for one quiet song/soundscape which was going nowhere, to my ears at least), of course any older songs sounded different to the last tour(s), due to the other (guest) musicians. The "groove" of the African years had gone, being replaced by more "oriental" sounds and rhythm. Still very good, but all in all it was the worst Dirtmusic show I've seen so far, partly due to the low attendance (the audience liked them, but due to being seated, only very few were dancing at the back) - something was "missing", even though at times the "spark" flew over.  8)
It seemed a bit like a "public rehearsal" somehow.  ;)
Of course, on a Friday, I was on my way home at 10pm! (Had it been Wednesday, it would've been 12 I guess...)

I would go to see them again, but I guess up next are other projects from Hugo Race or Chris Eckman (who I both like).

http://glitterbeat.com/artists/dirtmusic/
The striking figure of Murat Ertel is standing at the door of his home studio, a converted mechanic’s garage in a suburb of Istanbul. The Turkish capital is a tense and conflicted place these days, but Baba Zula’s leader and saz man is on fine form. Before him stand those current and former musical nomads, Chris Eckman and Hugo Race, guitars in hand. Dirtmusic are about to take on their latest, and perhaps most thrilling, form.

But let’s rewind a little, for Dirtmusic’s story is worth your time (although it perhaps makes more sense to talk about Dirtmusics plural).

Originally a straight-talking, mainly acoustic trio mining blues and country for 21st century gold, the band’s first happy accident was to stumble upon Tamikrest at the fabled Festival au Désert in Timbuktu in 2008. A musical love story began, running through that joyous first collaboration with Tamikrest in BKO (2010), followed by Troubles (2013) and Lion City (2014), which expanded the roster to include Ben Zabo, Samba Touré and a host of other superb Malian musicians. In the meantime, however, the Islamist takeover of Northern Mali in 2012 had darkened the sound and the songwriting, giving them a tone that continues to resonate through the new record.

Back to that garage. True to form, Eckman and Race look to improvise, for that line to the Bamako years is still strong. They’ve come with a couple of beats and loops – and they’re not even sure whether they will attach any words to this year’s Dirtmusic. But Ertel knows they need to tell a story. The time and the place demand it. This is being recorded in Istanbul after all, and Eckman has flown there from Slovenia, a country that has secured its southern border with razor wire – and Race from Australia, where sea-borne refugees are detained indefinitely on remote islands. And so it goes, a tale of borders and walls, of cold fronts and cold hearts.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:24:12 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1221 on: November 05, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
999- Glasgow and Sunderland. Glasgow was the better of the 2 and a good turnout for a thursday night at Ivory Blacks. Nick and Guy travelled with me to the Sunderland gig due to van problems but it was fixed in time to get them to Carlisle which I missed due to...
Killing Joke- Leeds O2.
Great as always and still some dates left to catch them. BUT avoid the painful support band and don't buy the Live in Berlin CD- it doesn't play on standard CD players and now I can't play any CDs at all in my car!
update- CD now works! They will be releasing a recording of the London gig too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:20:08 PM by GJ »

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 07, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
Tomorrow it's the Daniel Treacy Benefit.

Television Personalities
and Rose 'Strawberry Switchblade' McDowall.

The 100 Club.

As usual.

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1223 on: November 08, 2018, 11:19:04 AM »
U.K Subs in Dover on Friday, with The Warriors & Surgery Without Research.

Then Sunday in Canterbury  Eastfield with Surgery and others..
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable