Author Topic: Vom Ritchie interview  (Read 12637 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Vom Ritchie interview
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Here you find the brand new interview with drummer Vom Ritchie, who played on all of TV's studio albums within the last 10 years!

1. How did you discover the drums as your instrument? Did you get any lessons or self-taught?

In the music class at school, whenever the instruments were handed around for kids to play along, I was never given a drum or bongos and my hand went up every time. I always kind of knew that I could do it but was never given the chance. Then one day i was in a friends house from my parents and a drum kit was there and i just went over and started bashing away. Since that day I knew what I wanted to do. I got my first kit at 13 and  in a few months I was in two bands: one a covers band with older kids and a band with my mates from school, which was a lot of fun. When I was 16 I decided that I'd give drum lessons a go for one hour a week and found a great teacher called Phil Aldridge. He was fantastic and a right laugh. I did that for about a year and it was a big help. It made me realise that I could play the same things with half the effort and so play more in the end.

2. Who were/are your favorite drummers?

I got into music really early in my life and was brought up with rock drummers, so I'd say my three biggest influences were Ian Paice - Deep Purple; Mitch Mitchell - Jimi Hendrix Experience and Bill Ward - Black Sabbath

3. Please tell us about your first band(s) and your first experiences with the “music biz”.

My first band was called Lightning, and they were my friends at school, me on drums, Andrew Spencer on Bass and Adrian Tolley on guitar. We played a lot of shows but we didn't have a singer at the start, but it didn't really seem to matter at the time. We then got a singer called Paul Smith and we played the school xmas party. Everyone went mad, ripped down the decorations and the teachers stopped the show, so we only did about 3 songs. We was gutted, but I first saw what the power of music can do to people. In this case they ripped the place up. 

4. I still remember Doctor & the Medics and their big 80’s hit with their cover of “Spirit in the sky” – how did it feel to be part of such a “one hit wonder”?  

Well I must say from the start that I never thought of this band as a one hit wonder, as we played  so many shows and had such a big following for many years before that song, that the phrase 'one hit wonder' just doesn't do us justice. I know it is easy for people to think that, as we were a big underground band for years supporting bands like the Damned, Hawkwind, Nina Hagen, Simple Minds, the Cult etc etc and playing good headline shows on our own. He also had an indie top 5 hit before 'Spirit ' and in those days a indie top five meant good record sales. 'Spirit' was a curse for us in a way as it got us a number one single on an international scale, but alienated our early following and as soon as the hits dried up we lost the mainstream following, so we was left a only a handful of fans in the end. We had 4 chart singles after 'Spirit' which were 'Burn' , 'More',  'Waterloo' and 'Drive He Said'. So it was great on one side but on the other, it ultimately killed us.

5. When and how did you first meet TV Smith? Were the first official studio recordings you did with DTH actually the “Useless” sessions?

I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure Tim can, as his memory is far superior to mine, but its definately a few years ago now. It was probably through something Hosen related like a show or party, but I'm sure our paths had crossed many times in England before that during the 80's. Recording wise, the "Useless" Sessions came later, as I'd already played on the second Roten Rosen Xmas album and "Unsterblich" by that time.

6. Please tell us how a “typical” session happens when you’re recording drums for TV.

A typical session..... Well there are two typical 'sessions' that happen when me and TV are recording together. The first involves me being given a rough CD weeks before a date is fixed, sometimes with a complete band on and other times with just Tim's acoustic (I've now played on 5 of TV's album's and so it differs from album to album) and then we turn up at a studio (never the same one twice) and I get the tracks down. We've always completed this in a day and then it goes on the next stage. I remember on the "Mis info" album, I had the honour of the being the person to get the last thing down on the album, which happened to be the backing vocals. Tim was waiting at my house as we were recording them in my little upstairs room / studio and I'd just returned from playing a show with the Vicars as I remember. Unfortunately, I arrived a bit worse for wear after a drunken journey. Anyway the vocals went down fine, we were both well happy, and then I walked out the room and fell down the stairs. Tim said it sounded hilarious, I was like 'great, the albums finished', then 'aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh'  bump bump bump crash, argghhhhhhhhhhh !! bump bang crash. Tim came running out the room and there I was at the bottom of the stairs. Nearly bloody killed myself, what a finale!!
The second typical session is like, 'great we've finished the drums, lets get down the bar! ' and then we proceed to get totally plastered and talk bollocks all night and fall about laughing. Fantastic.

7. Did you enjoy the TVom gigs you played together in 2009/2010? Will you continue working with TV?

Yes very much. We always have fun playing live (apart from the time when Tim's guitar got smashed before a show by the sound guy, but thats another story ...) and really lock in well musically, whether I'm playing Cajon or a kit. I sincerely hope we will continue working together live and recording when possible, as we both really enjoy it and get on great as friends before and after the shows and recordings.

8. What are your plans for the near and not-so-near future?

Thats a tough question. Well for sure, the next Hosen album for the 30th anniversary next year. The songs are coming along really well at the moment and we've been having a lot of fun in the studio with this album so far. There will also follow tours, press etc so that will be a busy year. I've just finished an album with an old friend of mine Dick York and its come out very well. The band is called Cryssis and also features Trip Tom (KIM?) on guitar and Thomas Schneider (Beatlesons / Skyuela) on Bass. I hope to play some shows with this line up to promote the album 'simple men' when we eventually get it out. Also shows with the Boys and Mattless Boys and hopefully some recordings as well from both bands this year. The Spittin' Vicars are talking about recording a new album as we have a lot of new material, but are all busy and just trying to find some time when we are all free. And last, but not least, I would love to play some more shows with TV as TVOM, including all the old favourites and of course, loads of the new ones from the brand new album 'coming in to land' which is currently in a record shop near you, and in the words of the great man himself 'get it now, before its gone ..... '
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:06:36 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Vom Ritchie interview
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
A very big THANK YOU to Vom for taking the time to answer these questions!! (He's very busy, as you can see from the reply to the last question.)

For more info about VOM, go to:
http://www.dietotenhosen.de/en/startseite.php

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vom_Ritchie
(German version only)

http://www.drummingmonkey.de/
(his label)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:04:00 PM by Uli »

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
Excellent. I remember seeing Doctor & The Medics in a 'cellar' bar in, about, 1984. :)

Offline Luddite Joe

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
I remember playing support to Dr & the Medics a few times in the early 90s, I never realised Vom was the drummer til now...
The new ways are best

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »
Nice one Uli and Vom. What a great interview. :D

I would love to play some more shows with TV as TVOM, including all the old favourites and of course, loads of the new ones from the brand new album 'coming in to land' which is currently in a record shop near you, and in the words of the great man himself 'get it now, before its gone ..... '

Vom

What! It's in the shops!!!!! :o :o :o

That's the second time Uli. First Tim Cross and now Vom. I must move quicker in future. ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:42:31 PM by Tj »
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »
I remember playing support to Dr & the Medics a few times in the early 90s, I never realised Vom was the drummer til now...

It is indeed possible that Vom wasn't in the line-up of the band anymore at the time!

What! It's in the shops!!!!! :o :o :o

I'm guessing Vom was thinking ahead of his time with this sentence (or expecting me to take longer before I get it online!)...
Album should be in the shops early May, folks!

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
Great interveiw. Interesting to read about the recording sessions. I also remember seeing Dr & the Medics before their big hit, & I am afraid I was one of those people who lost interest in them after that. Sorry Vom.

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »
(apart from the time when Tim's guitar got smashed before a show by the sound guy, but thats another story ...)

You should see the video of the Angry Vom kicking Speakers away on Stage..  :P
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
An interesting read - many thanks to Uli and Vom!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
Thanks for your feedback!  8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »
Vom said in the interview:
 When and how did you first meet TV Smith?
"I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure Tim can, as his memory is far superior to mine, but its definately a few years ago now. It was probably through something Hosen related like a show or party..."

This new TV interview (german) proves him right:
http://www.dietotenhosen.de/neuigkeiten-empfehlungen-cd-coming-in-to-land-tv-smith.php

Weißt du noch, wann und wie du Vom kennengelernt hast?
Das erste Treffen mit Vom vergisst man nicht! Es war auf einem Hosen-Konzert in Berlin. Sie hatten mich gefragt, als Support bei ihnen zu spielen und Vom war zu der Zeit noch der Drumroadie. Ich hatte ihn in England nie getroffen, aber nachdem ich mich ein paar Minuten mit ihm unterhalten habe, habe ich mich gefühlt, als wenn ich ihn schon mein Leben lang gekannt hätte.
Translation:
"You don't forget your first meeting with Vom! It was on a Hosen concert in Berlin. They'd asked me to support and back then Vom was their drum roadie. I'd never met him in England, but after chatting for a few minutes, I felt like I'd always known him."  8)

Offline Ilove

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »
Hallo Uli, something you forgot.  ;D

.... habe ich mich gefühlt, als wenn ich ihn schon mein Leben lang gekannt hätte. Oder länger.

I felt like I'd known him all my life, or longer.

Uli, du hast dich von Tims Charme überrumpeln lassen. Er kann sich, genauso wenig wie Vom an das genaue Jahr erinnern. Aber ich finde, besser kann man es gar nicht ausdrücken, wie egal das genaue Datum in diesem Fall ist.

Ilove
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:18:12 PM by Ilove »
Who the fuck is Elvis?

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »
Ul;i

Only just discovered this - great interview, cheers!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »
Where ya been Al?!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
Better late than never...  ;)
How did you find it now?

Vom already mentioned the cajon here too...  8)