Author Topic: Rat Scabies solo album PHD  (Read 6019 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rat Scabies solo album PHD
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »
Really enjoyed TV's Phoenix FM outing last month. There's a new one up now with Rat - he's chosen an eclectic mix of tracks (there's an Adverts one there too!). When I get three and a half hours to spare, I'll give it a listen.
https://www.phoenixfm.com/2020/06/27/blank-generation-20-rat-scabies/

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
There's a new one up now with Rat - he's chosen an eclectic mix of tracks (there's an Adverts one there too!).

Thanks for sharing. That's nice of him to include the Adverts!  8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2020, 09:20:42 AM »
https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2020/07/03/still-rat-scabies-after-all-these-years-punk-legend-talks-covid-19-dad-his-new-album-and-joey-ramone

Scabies, who turns 65 (!) in July is not slowing down. In fact, he is maybe more active than in his early days. His latest, a superduo called The Sinclairs, is Scabies and the formable Jesse Budd (known also as Billy Shinbone), frontman of veteran psychedelic-folk group Flipron. They transformed a few jam sessions into a surf music lover’s dream, a 10-song rumble-seat ride called Sparkle (Cleopatra Records). The album, released in May, is described in their official press release as “Easy Listening made difficult.” The description is apt.

From the opening Ventures-esque “La Venta,” and the mesmerizing Santo & Johnny-like “Sleep Walk,” to the ’60s alien soundtrack-styled “Dodgems and Twin Peak-psych echoes of “Lipstick Rumble,” Scabies and Shinbone stretch their chops and make one hip and entertaining road-trip album.

Scabies has stayed super-active since his 1995 exit from The Damned. A list of impressive collaborations includes Chris Constantinou and the Mutants, and he has a new band with Constantinou called One Thousand Motels. Other bands include The Gin Goblins, Professor and the Madmen (with Alfie Agnew and Sean Elliot of DI and former Damned bass player Paul Gray).

Tucson Weekly: How are you and your family weathering the virus?

Rat Scabies: I find the whole thing incredibly unique actually, and also divisive because on the one hand I absolutely feel for the people, their losses, the sickness that’s going around. But at the same time, I look at the panic knee-jerk reactions of governments. I am wondering how they are handling it.

The other thing is, I quite enjoy a lot of it. I’m liking the clean air, the lack of noise, the lack of cars, and the lack of people. The pubs are open, so I really don’t mind it too much. It’s very ecological at the moment, isn’t it?

Did you ever think of this sort of Ventures meets Twin Peaks feel, to make it a soundtrack for a movie?

Funny enough you should say that, we’ve got an invitation, and we’re working on it. I don’t want to sour it but what the idea is they run movies with us playing the soundtrack live in the cinema just like in the good old days. So, that’s an idea we are talking about and I find quite exciting.