Author Topic: Local Bands  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Local Bands
« on: November 29, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
Growing up in Great Yarmouth wasn't exactly the best place to take part in the punk revolution (better funnily enough for the Ska thing that followed as they focused on seafronts!), but nonetheless I had a few good local bands to enjoy..... The Crabs (who at least got on the Roxy album and had brilliant badges; "I Caught The Crabs"); 'Nobody Goes To Discos Anymore' (who John Peel raved about but were more than a little self-indulgent in the flesh); Plastic Energy; the Needles, Red Star Belgrade; Totally Out To Lunch and the wonderful Norfolk'n'Good (you need to say that one out loud to get it) members of whom had been in the Crabs and went on to be Max's second generation Splodgenessabounds.

As you can see punk did not add any stars to my home town, at least none to rival the late great Singing Postman, but we had some fun.

Here's a taste of Red Star Belgrade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiK1LWL_HEY who, despite managing to support the Godfathers at the old Marquee never got anywhere, then went on to become Stare, who had some success in the '90's and funnily enough plan a reunion gig on 14th April in Norwich which kind of prompted this post.

So who were your local heroes?

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Local Bands
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »
Local bands - not many and only few I really liked.
Back in school days (circa '85), I remember a band playing the school gym, they even had a single out called "Factory Girl" (not a Stones cover btw), their name was "Bagage" I think (French pronounciation). (Not punk anyway, but rock/pop.)
Also there was a rock band called "Chairete", who were doing ok locally for a little while. (Coincidentally, their former keyboarder was here yesterday to do some work on a machine of mine.)

Much later I discovered a "local" punk band (well they're from Goeppingen/Stuttgart area) called The Nerves (not to be confused with other Nerves from US/Canada). For a while I travelled to many of their gigs (2001-04), e.g. supporting DOA, Bollock Brothers and many more. They're still going, but after many line-up changes now have a female singer:
http://www.nerves.de/

I think there's a few more, but...  :-\
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:12:58 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Portsmouth did not have many local bands back in those late 70's days.
I remember a band called Again Again who I saw a couple of times who were quite good. Also Pubic Heirs but I did not really rate them. Pumphouse Gang from the Isle of Wight were ok. They were ex hippies who released a single called Motorcity Fantasy. I think that was it until the 80's when Fareham produced the excellent Polemic Attack, later shortened to Polemic.

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
Well Great Yarmouth's not looking so bad so far....... :)

Although I am impressed by the Nerves singer's hair in their web-site vid's - now that is a mohawk!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:39:58 PM by Alan »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »
Although I am impressed by the Nerves singer's hair in their web-site vid's - now that is a mohawk!

Yeah. I have yet to see/hear this new line-up, looking forward.  8)
Just around the corner and miles away...