Author Topic: We Who Wait: TV on the TV \o/  (Read 74046 times)

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
Re: We Who Wait: TV on the TV \o/
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »
I don't suppose you can log into the BBC iplayer in Germany Uli. If so you may be able to watch it on your computer.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
That is the problem. Whenever I tried in the past, I did get some notice that I'm outside the UK.
(I think it worked a few years ago with a radio broadcast, but probably not with tv docus.)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »
Just seen it in print in next week's Radio Times!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
I will try, but not promise, to record this on my DVD recorder. Sometimes the BBC put a 'blocking' signal on TV broadcasts to stop copying.

But if it works I will only have ONE copy. I won't have the facility, nor the inclination, to make copies for all those fans outside the U.K. to have a copy each so it might have to do the 'round robin' by post*. I'd also not want a load of copies to be floating about if there's even half the chance that a DVD release happened later. I am not a bootlegger.

*I.E. A watch it and pass it on type deal.

Of course, it'll be repeated so I'll be able to make at leat one further copy for my own collection.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 04:33:35 PM »
Yeah, Rockula, that would be a solution. We'll just wait and see if there'll be more recordings and if someone will upload to yt, we won't need to post them around the world.  :)

Offline Jamie

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Malcontent Pictures
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »
I'd also not want a load of copies to be floating about if there's even half the chance that a DVD release happened later. I am not a bootlegger.

Y'know, while I'm not gonna actively encourage bootlegging and piracy here, I will say this:

In an ideal world, I'd want this documentary to be seen by as many people as possible and for Tim's fans to be able to enjoy it irrespective of where they live. That would be rewarding for me and - if it manages to help Tim find new audiences - it would benefit him (and them), too.

A DVD release is a pretty remote prospect at this stage. The only thing that might change that in the short-term would be a wave of interest from new fans and renewed interest from old ones which might persuade a distributor to take a punt. And - just thinking out loud here - at least one way of helping this to happen would be if the doc were to be disseminated as promiscuously as possible. Let's not forget that things like the Pete and Ray "Shut Up Little Man" tapes became a cult phenomenon long before the internet allowed people to share stuff digitally at the touch of a button.

So, in summary, while I would never dream of advocating illegal activity of any kind, were bootlegs of this to start being passed hand-to-hand at gigs and shared via, say, bittorrent in remote corners of the intrawebs, I can't in all honesty say that I'd be terribly broken up. Particularly as there would be nothing that could be done about it anyway.

Just sayin'....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:23:30 AM by Jamie »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
Jamie, I have a question towards the docu being shown in other countries? Is the deal you did with BBC exclusive? Or is there a possibility that e.g. "Arte tv" (french/german) is going to show this douc as well at some point in time? (I mean, they showed lots of docus incl. music docu, old "top of the pops" shows etc. They might even "buy" things from the BBC?)
http://www.arte.tv/de
Might be worth trying.  8)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
Cheers Jamie. ;)

By the way, I've noticed that it's being shown TWICE on Friday so I'll be able to make two seperate copies. And I believe it'll be shown again at least twice during the following week.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
BBC4 Thursday 24th May 'Top of the Pops: 1977 (with Dr. Feelgood)' 7.30pm & 12.00 midnight (Repeat)
BBC2 Friday 25th May 'Later...(with TV Smith interview) 12.05am (Repeat / Extended)
BBC4 Wednesday 30th May 'Evidently - John Cooper Clarke' 10.00pm & 3.15am (New)
BBC4 Friday 1st June 'Punk Britannia' (1 of 3) 9.00pm & 2.35am (New)
BBC4 Friday 1st June 'Top of the Pops: The Story of 1977' 10.00pm (Repeat)
BBC4 Friday 1st June 'We Who Wait: TV Smith & The Adverts' 11.00pm & 3.35am (New)
BBC4 Friday 1st June 'Sight and Sound in concert: 'Dr. Feelgood & Ian Dury' 12.00 midnight (Repeat)
BBC4 Friday 1st June 'Stiff at the BBC' 1.05am (Repeat)

Offline Jamie

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Malcontent Pictures
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
Jamie, I have a question towards the docu being shown in other countries? Is the deal you did with BBC exclusive?

No. But European stations would need to show some interest. Also, I'd need to check, but I'm pretty sure that some of the most expensive rights (eg: the footage of the Adverts at the Vortex, stills from Getty Images and so on) were only cleared for BBC use and would need to be recleared for European broadcast.

There may be a way of watching BBC iPlayer via a proxy. However, I don't know how this is done or whether it is possible to watch something in this way and still get smooth streaming. Furthermore, since this is probably illegal too, I wouldn't want to advise anyone to do something that might put them outside the law. Proxy info may be google-able, but clearly I'd only recommend investigating this option with a view to satisfying idle curiosity about proxies and not because you plan to actually use said proxies to try and circumvent the BBC's UK-centric reach.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
The season seems to be starting on Wednesday 30th:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jcdbc

I note with interest that this page says (towards the bottom)

"...You may also like...Coldplay..."

But there is no box that says that you may not  ::)
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »
No. But European stations would need to show some interest. Also, I'd need to check, but I'm pretty sure that some of the most expensive rights (eg: the footage of the Adverts at the Vortex, stills from Getty Images and so on) were only cleared for BBC use and would need to be recleared for European broadcast.

Hm, let's hope for some interest then!!! I will send a few emails to ask if they might be...
"ZDF Kultur" is also showing many music-related things.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-05-10/anarchy-in-white-city-bbc-to-broadcast-punk-britannia-season

Bloody Hell! There's a guy on there now that agrees with Alan about AC/DC!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
Fred I tell you when I first saw them in '77 they were billed as a punk band reinforced by the Surburban Studs as support (although I heard the two bands hated one another!)