Author Topic: TV Smith 2012 interview  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
TV Smith 2012 interview
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Done via email, TV has answered the following questions! I apologise for the stupid questions, especially no 5 (well I myself think it's sometimes interesting to know, to unearth influences or simply find something new to listen to). THANKS a lot to TV for the very interesting replies!

1. You just came home from six weeks touring with UK Subs, how did you like this experience?

I really enjoyed it. It was actually the longest tour I've ever done! The Subs are a great bunch of people so it was fun traveling with them, and there was a lot of interest in the double bill, so the gigs were really well attended. I think I won over a lot of new people.

2. Please tell us how the new EP “Dangerous Playground” was written & recorded. Did you get a script of the theatre play to write the songs about the characters?

After the idea was suggested to me, the director of the play sent me over the script, which I read through about three times. She also gave me some guidelines about what kind of subjects it would be good to cover with the songs, although obviously as I started work on it my own ideas started to bubble up and take over. I felt it was important to write a song for each of the main characters and one which more or less summed up some of the themes in the play. In a way it's quite a difficult thing to do because I didn't want to just rewrite what was already in the script, it was a question of writing my own interpretation of some of the themes, but still staying true to what Dirk Laucke had originally put in the play.

3. Are you and the record companies (Boss Tuneage & Drumming Monkey Rec.) happy with the cd & vinyl sales of your most recent albums?

To be honest, I don't really know - I think so! The record business is so different than it used to be that no one I work with is expecting massive sales and we're all pretty happy if we don't lose money on a release. The way I work with Boss Tuneage and Drumming Monkey is that I make the records independently and then license some of the pressing to them. They take care of trying to sell some through the shops and I take care of selling them on the road. At a time when major labels are seeing their sales rapidly decreasing, our sales are staying steady or even increasing slightly. Even the older records are still selling slowly because there are always new people at gigs who want to catch up and get the records they've missed - that was one of the great things about the Subs tour, a lot of people saw me for the first time and came up and bought the CDs afterwards.

4. What is your general view on the changes in the music business, especially with downloads, youtube and all that?

I would be quite happy to see all the major labels and their rubbish bands disappear from the face of the earth for ever. I'd like to see a level playing field, where musicians only become popular if people actually like what they do, not because they're being forced to like them because they're assaulted with multi million pound advertising campaigns and feel they must be missing out on something if they don't. I'm not too sure about the download thing though - the idea that everything is free is simply wrong, musicians have the right to earn a living just like anyone else doing a job. I like YouTube, I think it's very democratic and a great way for people to research music before deciding whether or not it's something they might want to see live or buy a record. It's a solution to one of the big problems that works against unknown musicians, which is: there's so much music out there, how is anyone going to get to hear us? That was one of the things that stopped me getting anywhere in the 1980's - I was making music but there was no way for anyone to hear it. If YouTube and the whole internet culture had been around back then at least there would have been a chance that it would have got heard.

5. What bands / music do you like to listen to these days?

Oh dear, this is one of the most-asked but least satisying questions there is. I don't listen to much music anyway because I'm too busy making it, but when I do feel like listening to something it just depends on my mood and what I'm looking for. I have very eclectic tastes anyway so there is no predicting what I might go for.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:18:56 AM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: TV Smith 2012 interview
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
6. 2012 sees the 35th anniversary of the Adverts’ first single, any thoughts on “punk nostalgia”? Is there an old punk band you’d like to see reforming?

Well, there are no old punk bands I'd like to see reform. If they haven't got around to after thirty five years, you'd have to wonder what their motivation was for doing it now. It certainly wouldn't be for the same reasons they formed in the first place so the band wouldn't be the same anyway - it's not just about the songs and who plays them, it's all to do with what drives you to be in a band, who you are at that moment in time when it happens and what's going on in the world around you. That's why reformations are never as good as the original - you might even have the same band members, but everything else is different. As for punk nostalgia - I don't like any nostalgia really, it distracts me from moving forward. Having said that, this year does seem to be throwing punk back into the spotlight, and a side effect seems to be that a lot of people are suddenly noticing that I'm still around. I can't remember having quite so many requests for interviews and television appearances as I'm getting this year. I'm happy to oblige, I hope it will make people curious to investigate what I've been doing since the Adverts and what I'm doing now.

7. Let’s not forget: in 2012 it’s also the 20th anniversary of your excellent solo album “March of the Giants”! Are there any plans for a re-release? Memories about the recording you’d like to share 20 years later?

Actually I had forgotten - I told you I'm not big on nostalgia! "March Of The Giants" has a really special place in the heart for everyone who worked on it, we knew we had something unique as we were making it. For me it was a massive gamble to make an album like that, but the songs were right for it and the cast of musicians that Tim Cross and I assembled for it all got the idea of where we were heading with it too. It is a real shame that it's not available any more, but unfortunately there are quite a lot of reasons why there are no plans to re-release it at the moment. Not least, most of the potential audience already have it. It's also quite a short album and there were no unreleased songs from the sessions, so I couldn't put out a new version with bonus tracks. Then there are all the other projects I have on the go..."March Of The Giants" seems to just keep slipping down the list of priorites on my "to do" list but I will get it out again one day, I will, I will...

8. Where do you see tvsmith.com heading? Nowadays “social media” is becoming important. On the one hand, it’s good to read positive comments about gigs shortly after, on the other hand I hardly ever find any in-depth reviews on Facebook…

Well, the website has always been first and foremost a fan site, I think that's the way Klaus always intended it, so I don't have any desire to interfere and say where it should head. I edit the news and provide most of the info for the setlists in the archives, but aside from that most of the action is in the forum so it will go in whatever direction you and the rest of the people who take part want to take it.

9. What's happening in terms of your tour diaries? Will there be any more? The 2 books full of them were really a good read.

I've just finished editing volume three and I'm very happy with the way it's turned out. Now it's just a question of getting all the final details ready for publishing and finding a suitable time to put it out. I'm sure it will appear this year, quite possibly in the next six months. After that, there may just possibly eventually be a volume four, but I'm finding that as I'm doing more and more touring I have less time for anything else so I'm not writing diaries nearly as often as I used to. I tend to save it for the more unusual trips these days, when I go to places like South America or Japan for example.

10. What are your future plans? Will part 2 of the acclaimed demo collection “Sparkle in the mud” be released this year?

Like the tour diaries, I'm hoping to put out the next volume of "Sparkle In The Mud" this year. I can't really promise because even when I have a vague schedule for what I want to do, if something unexpected comes up it all changes. For example, I thought I'd get the new volumes of either the book or "Sparkle" out last year but then the idea of the songs for the theatre came up and obviously that had to take priority because there was a deadline, the whole production was reliant on me having everything ready in time. The other thing is, you've probably realised already that my big priority is playing live - it's the most direct and pure way to get the songs across that there is, so a lot of my other projects are dependent on how many gigs I have. Everything has to fit around that.

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
Great interview. Thanks for that Uli  ;D

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
Excellent! Well done Uli.

Offline Ilove

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
Danke dafür.

Grüßle
Ilove
Who the fuck is Elvis?

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
Nice to see you enjoyed it, folks! Let's not forget the "excellent" part comes from TV by giving informative replies!  :)

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »
Thanks Uli !  greta work ..Thanks Tim for great answers yet again .

8)
Bloody hell !

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »
Cheers Uli - enjoyed that!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »
Glad you like it. I think there's good news, lots of things mentioned we can all look forward to!  8)

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
Nice one guys :)
I got some presents for you boo-boo

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Thank you for this enjoyable interview Uli and TV.

I particularly enjoyed reading about TV's purple patches of Sparkle In The Mud 2  (I personbally like Fred's 'Diamond In The Rough' title for the  Sparkle sequel), March Of The Giants and the sales of TV's gifted latest album where he shows he is truly Coming In To Land.

The March Of The Giants extra songs is an interestinh challenge. Of course thge obvious choice is Eurodisneyland Tomorrow from The We Want The Road CD single. Other options could be live tracks and Free World Cheap version and a must has to be the 80's demo version on Lion and The Lamb which slipped away from The Sparkle releases as TV felt it was so close to the original.

Keep up the great work Uli you are keeping the TUTS Forum and my old dream around TV Times alive. Thank you.
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »
... obvious choice is Eurodisneyland Tomorrow from The We Want The Road CD single. Other options could be live tracks and Free World Cheap version and a must has to be the 80's demo version on Lion and The Lamb which slipped away from The Sparkle releases as TV felt it was so close to the original.

Some good ideas there for the "bonus tracks" for a possible re-release, Tj!  8)

Keep up the great work Uli you are keeping the TUTS Forum and my old dream around TV Times alive. Thank you.

Thanks for kind comments. The forum was relatively quiet after the Subs tour, so I thought this might help a bit! Also there's lots of good things to look forward to being mentioned!  :)