Author Topic: Did TV Smith Plagiarise the idea for the big hit? - No.  (Read 6006 times)

Offline blythboy

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Did TV Smith Plagiarise the idea for the big hit? - No.
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
Alright

the below quote is from a lad I correspond with, is it possible get something from the horses mouth via TUTS or has this claim been disputed before? I could not see any thing on the forum about it.

"Re. The Rejects: The gig they played at The Roxy was with The Adverts. Bruno, the singer, had the lyrics to (their song - ed) 'Gary Gilmore' in his bag which went missing after the gig. A while later The Adverts came out with 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes.' Coincidence?"

Be great to put this one to bed either way, having finally lost faith in so many old heroes recently the radio 4 play kindled an interest I didnt know I had; now this!

All feedback appreciated, cheers, Martin from Blyth.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:05:25 PM by Uli »

Offline TV

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
Re: Did TV Smith Plagiarise the idea for the big hit?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:00:07 PM »
I do make a point of rifling through support bands bags in the dressing room and stealing their lyrics. Unfortunately none of the rest have been nearly as talented as Bruno.

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
I can understand your anger Tim. I was too contemtuous to even comment on that allegation.  >:(

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:16:52 AM »
I was going to counter this post with a thread entitled:

"Did Brotherhood Of Man Steal Lyrics Of 'Save Your Kisses For Me' From TV Smith? - Discuss"

But I'm not that sarcastic.
Down like a stick...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 07:19:28 AM »
The thing is, Martin: No

He

Did

Not

Oh, and welcolme to the Forum  :)
Down like a stick...

Offline blythboy

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »
Thanks very much TV / everyone for clearing that up and the welcome

Just double checking stuff, last thing I need is to be publishing lies 'where there's blame ....' and all that these days

Helping put a book together on NE Punk 76-80, looking for contacts, photos, information, anecdotes, gigs up north etc relating if you've any

Right, Cheers, Martin

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »
Joining the forum to gather info for your book, chat etc.: good idea.  :)

Spreading such a rumour with your 2nd post: not a good idea.  >:(
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline blythboy

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
Cheers ULI

Sir, i was not trying to spread a rumour, just trying to confirm or have refuted what had been reported as possible coincidence.

Surely that's a good thing?

Anyhow,  :), Martin

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »
Rejected.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Did TV Smith Plagiarise the idea for the big hit? - No.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
Sir, i was not trying to spread a rumour, just trying to confirm or have refuted what had been reported as possible coincidence.

The thread title itself is not ideal for not rumour-spreading, also where did the quote you used come from (your book? another forum?)?  ???
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
Whilst the idea of Tim nicking the idea for a song from another band is clearly ludicrous, it greatly pains me to confirm that he DID steal my idea to be an exceptionally talented and thin singer-songwriter and thus forced me to be the exact opposite.

What a bastard! I've never liked him...

Honestly, it's not unknown for more than one person/band to write a song about a prominent news story now is it!

That little issue being cleared up, welcome Martin and good luck with the book. It won't be the first book on punk, or even the first book on regional punk - you see how easy it is to start these rumours?!

Only serious!

Offline blythboy

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »
Uli, I'll ask the lad I correspond with where the quote came from and get back to you, all the best like.

Lord Pork Pie, cheers for the humour, comment and the welcome

I trust you dont think I was being judgemental, meant to cause offence or anything... was just a question.

Mind,
as young punks we never give plagiarism a second thought, we knew next to nowt anyway and just made stuff up. Lifting lyrics wholesale from derek and clive sketches like top rank for example ... "theres a gorrilla f**king my wife" ... Islands records I trust won't sue. Admittedly we blyth punks never claimed to be anything certainly not original, leaving that for the likes of sixth formers bands probably still busy interpreting 'the lamb lies down on broadway' or something. I still don't see what's wrong with it (plagiarism) and more power to the likes of Glenn Matlock for telling us where everything was ripped from, punks aren't arsed surely? We was too busy sneering and taking the piss at the time to notice/care.

To be honest I'm sort of disappointed TV clearly didn't nick the idea as its just one more example of history being rewritten to suit an agenda somewhere and I've gone and (naively again) given it a chance instead of dismissing it out of hand without making enquiries first.
Shoot first, ask questions later and that!

OK, this one with the big teeth looks good,  ;D, cheers then, Martin

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »
Cheers matey - I REALLY DO hope it goes well for you.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 12:53:13 PM »
Hi Blythboy, interesting story.

One of the reasons I like (can we now officially say adore?) TV Smith is his integrity.

It's fine to be influenced by others ideas we all are either conciously or sub-conciously, but this story just doesn't feel right to me.

For me I agree with DJ in my world it's a REJECT.

Of course as it says in my video on my website it may well be that 95% of what we believe to be true is actually false.

For instance if I claimed I appeared in the TV Smith 'We Who Wait' documemntary would this be True or False?

To close, if TV Smith say's he's innocent of all charges then I will 100% back him as a charecter witness in court.

...Next thing is you'll be saying he should have called The Adverts The Sleaze! ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:54:45 PM by Tj »
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline blythboy

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
Hello again lads

Uli / TJ I have learned the original information came from p459 of the punk book No More Heroes .. I typed up some of the page for you:

“ we did the Damned about three times. We went on a mini tour of England and did a couple of gigs in Birmingham supporting generation X. We also supported them at the Roxy as well as the Jam. But the first night we supported The Adverts I had the lyrics to ‘Gary Gilmore’ in my bag as well as a brand new microphone. When I got back to the dressing room the bag was gone, with the microphone and the lyrics. Then The Adverts started doing a song ‘Gary Gilmores Eyes’. Iit may have been a coincidence, but it was nothing like my song.”
However Bruno is not claiming ownership. In fact, he suggests it is “just an example of how incestuous that scene was. Nobody was well known”

I think it was published in 2006, surprising someone did not ask sooner really.

http://www.alexogg.com/nomoreheroes.html

is the link for more info on the book, i've not read it like i said just the quote from my correspondent last week.

The Adverts will obviously be in it too

TJ, a seconds google found http://www.myspace.com/thesleaze666
the 666 is just for the site, one of their songs is called "smokin f**kin cigs" gonna spark up, open a brew and give it a listen
 :o heh, all the best like. Martin
ps TJ are you on that documentary or not?
i was gonna watch it with tnb's damaged sound playing as the soundtrack second time round, there were some interesting stand alone edits and vid clips, if so please let me know what to look for.