Author Topic: Stuttgart 20.2.2013 (w/ UK Subs & The Nerves)  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Stuttgart 20.2.2013 (w/ UK Subs & The Nerves)
« on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
So, here we go, another night out with TV & the Subs...
Arrived in Stuttgart relatively early, so I thought I'd grab myself a slice of pizza before heading to the "Keller Klub" (you don't want to drink beer on an empty stomach, especially when driving  :P If you're into detail: it was a cheese&tomato one). It would turn out this cost me about 3-4 songs of The Nerves, as they were already playing when I entered the club. Must be the first time a punk concert in Stuttgart started before 9pm.  :o
(Oh well, but I remember in 2001 I went to see the UK Subs in Ludwigsburg near Stuttgart, I thought "oh I'm early" and then Charlie Harper walked on stage at 8.30pm... The Nerves (different line-up than today) were supposed to be supporting back then as well, but were cancelled due to the strange timing...) But I digress, back to 2013:
Met TV while The Nerves were playing. Saw Ilona & Wolfgang downstairs (I was up on the small "balcony" near the bar), but decided to grab a beer as the band finished (good thing the "cloak room" is also selling a small selection of drinks, as the bar was too crowded!), then went looking for Ilona and Wolfgang, but they had disappeared into thin air!  :o
Found them soon though and shortly afterwards TV was getting ready on stage. I realised that one beer certainly helps to focus on a gig when you just arrived in a room (almost) full of strangers.  ;)
TV played a really enjoyable set, even including 2 new songs ("Replay" and "Long Gone"). When he asked the audience before the 2nd one, if they wanted another new one, they cheered! Really a good audience in Stuttgart!  8)
Sadly I can't remember the exact order, but these were played:
Only One Flavour, No Time To Be 21, Coming In To Land, Replay, The Lion And The Lamb, You Saved My Life Then Ruined It, Dangerous Playground, Expensive Being Poor, Immortal Rich, Long Gone, Generation Y, Gary Gilmore’s Eyes (w/ broken string), encore: Bored Teenagers, One Chord Wonders.
A string broke during GGE, but TV finished the song and then changed it. I took the chance to get another beer and managed to push myself back throught the crowd just in time for the next one.  8)
Even though it was a bit short, I really enjoyed the gig. TV himself said he could've played much longer, as he had so many songs in his head which would've fit.  :)
A big cheer went up at the end of the set, so Stuttgart loves TV, which is good to know. Later I saw lots of people buying stuff, getting it signed etc.
Chatted a bit with Nerves members and Ilona & Wolfgang, then watched UK Subs from the back, where it's not so loud, i.e. I enjoyed it more than last year in Pforzheim (where they sounded just loud & monotonous). I recognised some of their old hits, like "Tomorrow's Girls", "Warhead" and "C.I.D.". Can't believe Charlie Harper is around 68, he looks so much younger!
Bought the Explorers CD and said bye-byes. And what did I do before I headed home? Business!  :o (If you're into details: Yeah, I had some newly printed flyers in my car and had discovered a potential customer in the area where I parked my car, so I dropped one in the mailbox. They will probably wonder how this turned up over night...  ;D )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:40:26 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stuttgart 20.2.2013 (w/ UK Subs & The Nerves)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
Excellent stuff Uli.
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
Thanks. Here is a public photo gallery on FB, lots of pics of all 3 perfomers:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.429686800446242.98671.409548119126777&type=1

Offline Mrs Fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
    • MSN Messenger - aliensathome@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »
At least you didn't get lost, though I guess you knew the venue :)
That company will think you're very consciencious (little do they know you were at a Punk gig)  8)
Glad you had a good night  :)

Mrs Fleagle  ::)
e have guided missiles and misguided men.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
Yes, I knew the club (Garden Gang played there years ago; I remember René telling me nothing about the fact that he'd joined the band, until I saw him with bass in hand walking onto the stage!)...  :)

Am tired now. No idea how TV and Charlie & Co. do this everyday. (Ok, maybe they don't get up at hate o'clock and do some work, like I did... not that much today though...)