Author Topic: Blackpool 2014  (Read 12945 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: Blackpool 2014
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »
Finally recovering from the weekend I think!

Great reviews from Gareth and Chris not a lot to add other than it was great to catch up with everyone again, and somehow Rebellion gets better and better.

Highlights for me, other than TV's sets which are a given, were the stroppy Red Paintings, the marvellous Deaf School (just wanted to catch a couple of songs to tick them off but somehow couldn't leave);the Hawkwind on steroids that is Evil Blizzard; the sweet and soulful Pog; Jello Biafra's spoken word set entertaining and thought provoking even when I didn't agree with him; ATV just surprisingly good; and the stunning Ruts DC's closing set.

Disappointments? Well missing SLF, Dirtbox Disco, Ruts DC acoustic, Argies, Eastfield, Jaya the Cat, SNFU, Leftover Crack, Irvine Welsh on the literary stage (although Chris caught him and said he was brilliant), Jona Lewie, Anti Pasti, the Uppercuts, Healthy Junkies, I Ludicrous and so many others! But I guess I did see a lot of bands....

Offline claret999

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
OOps, forgot to mention I had a brief chat with Steve The Fish during the 999 set- nice to see you again mate.

Offline Rob-C

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2014, 01:40:19 AM »
To knackered to write much, but the 'punch up' rumours are unfounded -and anyway my money would have been on BBQ, sorry TV... AND here's a really wonderful performance from the acoustic stage from a group who laugh in the face of rehearsals... and yes the cardboard box did get damaged in the making of this music... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi3_u7Jg8ac&feature=youtu.be

Ah - so I did catch the cardboard box at the end (7:51 in) ......I wasn't sure the next day whether or not I'd dreamt it.  That's also me nicking the set list at 5:00....TV kindly autographed it afterwards - then I lost it going back to the guest house.  But I can exclusively reveal something that didn't happen - there were two songs on the list that didn't get played because they had run out of time, the final one being my all time favourite 'The Lord's Prayer'......you can't get more exclusive and earth(bound)-shattering news than that!

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2014, 08:48:48 AM »
And Rob that was a bloody good catch!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
After a couple of year's break we have decided to return to Rebellion next year.

But we are going to contact the venue to ensure it's o.k. for us to bring our own foldable chairs. :)

Offline steve the fish

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
What a bloody great weekend  ;D so many high points , great to catch up wiv so many friends, great to make some new ones. ATV, the Cravats , Penetration , Killing Joke, TV , Cretin 77 ,Skurvi, Splodge, 999 , Ruts DC, Eastfield, Cress, Andy T, DOA, Outcasts , Defects, Seeing Gaye walking around with a giant inflatable penis  ;) wot more could you ask for ... Thanks to everyone that bought me a pint even if thou it made my mouth go on fast forward and my brain on rewind.

Looking at the line up I can't believe how many bands I intended to see but missed . and on the subject of missing , Fred me ol' fruit we all missed the early morning walks to the beach with you, hope you can make it next year.

This year I must admit our little group decided that if a band thought themselves too high and mighty to mix with the audience and just spent all their time arse licking , sorry ligging back stage then we would not go and see them again , we were bloody surprised at how many two bit 2nd rate bands thought themselves too godly to walk amongst us . :-\  Having said that most the big bands did come out to meet their public. Had a great little chat with Jello wot a motivated guy he still is , if only there were more like him may be just may be we would have won !

Viva la rock n' roll

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »
It was a stunning weekend wasn't it?!

Let's hope that next year we get both Fred and ken in attendance - maybe organise a folding settee?