Author Topic: Punk's Jewish Roots...  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Punk's Jewish Roots...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:26:26 AM »
Not uninteresting... But, as usual, in hindsight, there are many theories being published... whilst back then, nobody had an idea of what's gonna happen or any kind of "masterplan" (well maybe Malcolm McLaren had, but the Pistols would do their own thing and not everything he told them).
'Punk' had so many different personalities inside the "scene" (if there ever was one coherent scene), I don't think you can narrow it down to one kind of people.
As the article itself says:
Filtering people such as McLaren through the prism of their Jewishness alone, though, falsely limits their impact on punk, and punk’s impact on them.
Maybe they should've chosen a different title then?  :-\

We had a funny conversation about something like this while in France. Someone mentioned "Lipstick Traces" by Greil Marcus. One person strongly disagreed with the theories in that book (comparing punk to Dadaism, the Situationists etc.). Another person wondered "how come we can mostly agree when it comes to religion, but not about punk?". I said "that's because none of us was there at the crufixion of Christ, while he was there when punk started" -> "he" was Rat Scabies...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:30:26 AM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »
We all know that punk started with Lou Reed!

http://www.tvsmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=4588.0
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:16:41 PM by Fred the pleb »
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »
Yeah, but who was there? You, me, Greil Marcus, Jon Savage, Malcolm...?  ???

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
I think it's a bit of a non-story really. I don't think the Jewish punk musicians/managers thought any more about their religious upbringing than the Christian ones did.

I'm just glad that somebody started it as the music is great, the shows are great and the people I've met at punk gigs since 1978 are (largely) great! Punk has been one of the most positive and friendly factors in my life - just look at the regulars on this forum for starters.

As the late, great Dave Allen used to say: "Goodnight, and may your God go with you"!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:14 PM »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:37:22 AM »
I think it's a bit of a non-story really. I don't think the Jewish punk musicians/managers thought any more about their religious upbringing than the Christian ones did.

Yeah, exactly. That's why I said above: the title of the article could've been a different one...

I'm just glad that somebody started it as the music is great, the shows are great and the people I've met at punk gigs since 1978 are (largely) great! Punk has been one of the most positive and friendly factors in my life - just look at the regulars on this forum for starters.

Yeah, couldn't have said it better!  8)
It has been a pleasure listening to good music, meeting nice people (incl. some who were there in '76/'77) and I myself never cared much about what "religious" background anyone had had... Thankfully, 'punk' was open to many different people, some of them being "outsiders" in many ways...