Author Topic: QU: How can YOU best help TV Smith the easy way? ANS: Review TV's CD's on Amazon  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
Here's an important question for all supporters and fans of TV Smith...

How can we best help TV?

At the recent Fulford Arms concert in York, Craig Casson was talking to me about how sad it is that he doesn't get to see as many live TV shows as he used to (now that he's so busy bring the drummer for both The Lurkers and 1977). He felt he was letting TV down by not arranging live shows for him like he used to.

I could really relate to what he was saying as I felt the same. (Although I'm busy performance coaching rather than drumming. ;) )

I had a chat about this with TV. He pointed out that if it wasn't for people in the past like Dave Thompson, Craig Casson, Klaus, C5, Fleagle and an army of TUTS (like Alan and Gabumon posting live songs on YouTube), Jamie Palmer and myself etc, etc helping TV he wouldn't be where he is now.

This got me thinking about other ways that TV's growing legion of fans can best help him.

Later on I was telling TV how grateful the author Steve Chandler was for the 5 star book reviews I'd written for him on Amazon (.co.uk & .com). TV wasn't at all surprised and went on to passionately share with me what a massive impact those positive Amazon reviews had on an author, singer-songwriter etc. We also spoke about how powerful e-mailing radio and TV shows (like Later) are.

I made a pledge to myself to write a 5 star review for all TV's albums on Amazon. (I'm still waiting for his first 4 star CD. ;) )

I realised that I don't have to write war and peace just something powerfully short and simple that helps people to check out TV. (Klaus calls this The Easy Way.)

Of course C5 was always doing things like this.

Let's be totally honest, Coming into Land deserved to be heard. It should have sold thousands of copies. It hasn't. Why? Because people don't know about it and because they haven't heard it. TV is a one man band with very little free time, so he needs all the help that he can get. I also fly solo and I know how important help is (several TUTS have helped me to grow my business - thank you).

We are legion. We are many. TV's true fan base is growing with each gig (yes even on Facebook).

I'm making an agreement with myself (and anyone who is reading this) to do my part.

"You get your miracle for just daring to ask?"

So I'm asking...

What can you do?

What are you actually going to do?

Can anyone think of any other ways that we can help TV?

Every little knock against the big door counts. Thank you for giving.

Thanks to Uli and Fred and all the other TUTS for keeping this forum Carrying On.

Thanks for 37 years of pleasure and inspiration Teev.

I know from our chat how much you appreciate all the help you receive.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 10:10:29 AM by Tj »
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: How can YOU best help TV Smith?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »

This got me thinking about other ways that TV's growing legion of fans can best help him.

TV wasn't at all surprised and went on to passionately share with me what a massive impact those positive Amazon reviews had on an author, singer-songwriter etc.

TV told me similar things years ago when I talked about maybe writing an amazon review! (Which I did then.)

We are legion. We are many. TV's true fan base is growing with each gig (yes even on Facebook).

Especially in UK the docu by Jamie helped to open many doors.

What are you actually going to do?

Can anyone think of any other ways that we can help TV?

Every little knock against the big door counts. Thank you for giving.

Thanks to Uli and Fred and all the other TUTS for keeping this forum Carrying On.

Nice to read this, especially after reading your other current post ("I'm a w...")!  :)
What am I gonna do?
I will keep buying the albums (incl. re-releases) and reviewing some of them on amazon.
Keep going to live shows & keep telling people about the gigs. Reviewing gigs here (and possibly elsewhere).

What most of you can do is: keep telling promoters to book TV! Write reviews, mention the albums and gigs on other websites/forums and on FB (where you can e.g. share TV's posts about tours & gigs)!  8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:20:15 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
When visiting local gigs, I always plug TV and usually get a positive response..  but then that is it....

Mind you, we know that support in East Kent is not even pitiful (aka Westgate!!), but we cary on regardless.

What is happening regarding EB 2014 in the UK..  I havn't checked the latest postings following Klaus's post, so perhaps someone has already posted....  but then......
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:09 AM »
What is happening regarding EB 2014 in the UK..  I havn't checked the latest postings following Klaus's post...

Why don't you check it then?  ???
There's a "view the most recent posts" thingy in this forum, also you can click on "show unread posts since last visit" at the top.

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
What is happening regarding EB 2014 in the UK..  I havn't checked the latest postings following Klaus's post...

Why don't you check it then?  ???
There's a "view the most recent posts" thingy in this forum, also you can click on "show unread posts since last visit" at the top.

I was strating at page 1 and then working down..  of course the was a post regarding EB 2014...

Suitably "told off"  Uli......
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »
Suitably "told off"  Uli...

Always a pleasure.  ;)
 ;D

Offline Klaus

• Administrator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 47852913
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tvsmith.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:39:03 AM »
The world is fucked up.
Most people don't care and won't listen...
Still carrying on...
"And if our castle should come tumbling down - We'll fix it up again somehow
We can do anything - That' the wonderful thing...

Carrying On"

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
Good to see you're still positive Klaus!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
Well it depends on what you expect, I guess.
IF you expected the mainstream media to feature TV a lot, you might end up disappointed about "the world"...

However, when I look at what happened since I first saw TV live back in late '99, I like to think he has been going "onwards and upwards".  :)
Back in Sept. 2000, he was doing small-scale gigs over Germany. From 2001 on, following the "best of" album with DTH, the audiences started to grow. Plus more albums and tours.
Then in 2007 there was the Bored Teenagers shows with Adverts stuff, which lead to headlining festival gigs etc.!  8)
Again, many solo shows with good crowds followed 2008/9. And we got the "TVOM!" gigs bringing more people in than usual!

The last few years, a similar effect like with "Useless" in Germany (+Switzerland, Austria) could be seen in UK with the excellent docu being shown by the BBC. (Something YOU can do is share the link to this to those who do not know it yet!)
Then we've had the tours in support of Toy Dolls, Dead Men Walking, UK Subs and others, which again brought new fans. Isn't it nice to see the fans buying new stuff and the re-releases of great old albums at the merch desk?  :)

Still, maybe "most people" won't listen - but are they the people we'd want to listen? People who don't care about music anyway and/or listen to dancefloor/boybands (etc)?  ???
In short, I think TV has done quite well in the last few years and achieved a lot (rave reviews of tour diary books, albums & shows all over the place, radio and television appearances...).
Which, come to think of it, is more than I'd expected back in 1999/2000!  8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:05:00 PM by Uli »

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
TV once said to me in my kitchen; Keep at it Tj. Keep Carrying On. A few years back I was thinking of packing it in and being a milkman or something and now I'm watching a documentary about me on BBC TV and people calling me a legend.

I took TV's words to heart and now pulled myself out of the economic dark times before the economy turned around and I'm having a great year at work.

Keep Carrying On TUTS.

TV was talking last weekend about how chuffed he his is with his loyal raving fans and his army of growing new fans.

Things are looking up.

TV's landed the right way up.

There's a gift that troubles bring.

And that's the wonderful thing.

Keep Carrying On TV.

Keep Carrying On supporting TV all you united tour supporters. :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:31:14 AM by Tj »

Tj Sundown

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
TV was talking last weekend about how chuffed he is with his loyal raving fans and his army of growing new fans.

Things are looking up.

Good to hear this!  8)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »
Yep! Uli. It's music to a TUTS ears.

My first new www.amazon.co.uk to help TV's sales is going to be Acoustic Volume 1.

...Just to make sure I don't Walk Away from my pledge to help. ;)

Tj Sundown

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »
Following on from this, over the last couple of weeks, I've emailed the following to try to raise TV's profile (I've included the addresses in case anyone wants to follow these requests up):

Vive Le Rock Magazine - actually had a nice reply from the Editor-in Chief saying that after the article of a couple of years ago, something more was planned soon - so a result there!
Uncut Magazine (Associate Editor; michael_bonner@ipcmedia.com)
Mojo Magazine (MOJO@bauermedia.co.uk)
BBC Radio 1 Punk Rock Show (punk.show@bbc.co.uk)

Not been able to find anything to do a request for Later with Jools Holland or an address that works for Q Magazine so if anyone has any ideas?

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »
Great work Alan.

Back when I was sat drinking Punk talking to TV about how we can help, I secretly pledged to start writing Amazon reviews on. co.uk (and copied onto. .com).

Here's the very first Amazon review on those two sites for the One Chord Wonder DVD...

TV Smith... A legend". Richard Strange.

If you've watched the powerful and inspirational TV Smith documentary 'We Who Wait' by Jamie Palmer, on the BBC or You Tube, you will have witnessed the creation of a legend.

TV Smith is the living embodiment of true punk attitude and pure energy. Each new album is more infectious and creative than the last and his live shows are an unstoppable force of power, purpose and passion.

So how and when did TV Smith merge his Adverts punk rock core with the gifted singer-songwriter troubadour? TV did it live on stage at Blackpool HiTS Punk Rock Festival. It's all captured on this wonder full DVD. Armed with nothing but pure guts and an acoustic guitar TV birthed a legend. The crowd of punks, old and new, watched on in gaping mouthed awe.

One chord? So much more.

A Wonder? Most definitely.

A DVD to watch over and over and over again.

"This one's for us."

Did he get any better? The Not In My Name bonus track shows why TV is the living imbodiment of continuous improvement.

The TV Smith live experience is not a 'gig' it's a show.

Catch the show live this year and watch the day it all came together on One Chord Wonder.

Bloody splendid.

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sorry it's taken me five months to write another Amazon review Teev.

I'll make it up to you today.

Teej  :)

Here's today's review of I Delete...

Pure TV. Replay. Replay. Replay.

What do you do when you can't possibly top your last two perfectly produced musical masterpieces?

You go within. To the strength within you.

I Delete is pure TV Smith. The perfect balance of solid production, wise words, infectious catchy tunes and the incredible energy of TV live. In a fake plastic world TV Smith is a persevering pioneer of authenticity, honesty and passion. I trust him totally and he always delivers the goods.

For infectious catchy tunes you canít beat Replay, I Delete and Long Gone. TV Smith is the only vegetarian who could get you singing along to  ďitís meatínígravy on every plate, the latest app, keep up to dateĒ. Cutbacks has been spruced up nicely and thereís even scissors clipping at the start which feels like a homage to the late great Tim Cross. Other favourites that flow along are Home Town, London Hum and First One to Sign Up. For those wanting punk TV thereís Festival of Fools. The album closes with A Step Back, yet TVís latest release feels far more like a step forward. You are left with the feeling that TV Smithís touchstone and constant musical companion is looking down on him with a heartfelt grin from ear to ear.

Speaking of Tim Cross, we get to hear Tim one last time in the new versions of the four songs written by TV for the German play by Dirk Laucke. Listen to the close of The Drink as Cross tickles those ivories with his beautiful flamboyant style. TV knows he canít really improve on the exceptional Dangerous Playground from his recent EP, so instead he strips back The RockíníRoll to a haunting ballad thatís reminiscent of the very best of Mike Peters. 

My favourite CD of the year is on constant Replay.

Got to admit I was quite stunned just how few reviews of TV's albums and books are on Amazon.co.uk.  :'(

At least they are all four and five star reviews.  :)

I tried to give I Delete seven stars but It Don't Work. ;)

Loved reading C5's Channel 5 review.  8)

Let's work together to write Amazon reviews TUTS and help TV move towards selling the amount of CD's his enormous talent deserves to sell.

This Great Man deserves to be heard.

Tj Sundown