Author Topic: Balingen (Sonnenkeller) 21.05.2014 & Ludwigsburg (Rocknroll bar) 22.5.14  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Great gig in Balingen last night. On a Wednesday night with warm weather, not too many people came to the Sonnenkeller in Balingen. But some TUTS were there, thus TV performed some "rarities" and quite a few new songs!
I was the first to sign up - erm, I mean I was the first one to pay, no one there but the people from the club, coincidentally I met TV at the facilities, he was just about to set up his merch desk. I went up and outside again (the Sonnenkeller is the basement of a restaurant upstairs), where I found Mariann and Uwe (he's the one organising TV's gigs in Horb/Muehringen, last one was on Saturday, sadly I couldn't make it).
A bit later Ilona and Wolfgang arrived, after a drink we went downstairs. Mariann was prepared to write down a setlist (thanks so much, it's great when people do as they're told!  ;) )!

Not A Bad Day
March Of The Giants
Only One Flavour
The First One To Sign Up
Replay
No Time To Be 21
The Future Used To Be Better
This Year, Next Year
Long Gone
What If
Driver Or Passenger
Lion And The Lamb
I Delete
Coming In To Land
Useless
Expensive Being Poor
Haves And Have-nots
Immortal Rich
Great British Mistake
My Place
Hometown
Pushed Again
The Day We Caught The Big Fish
Der Stacheldrahtmann
Dangerous Playground
My String Will Snap
In The Arms Of My Enemy
Generation Y
Good Times Are Back
Gary Gilmore's Eyes
Bored Teenagers
One Chord Wonders

No encore was played, but this was already nearing 2 hours and many songs for a rather slim audience!
Seems like there's no need to tell TV any wishes, as he performed so many good surprises, as if he'd read our thoughts.
I had listened to "Haves and have-nots" a few times recently, so immediately recognised this gem! (Not sure if I EVER heard this live.)
Uwe said he'd hoped for "Stacheldrahtmann" and he didn't need to shout for it.
Other highlights for me were "Driver or passenger", "My Place" and "Long Gone".
Mariann handed me the setlist, so I can post it here asap!  8)
After some more chatting, it was time to drive home. Looking forward to Ludwigsburg tonight!  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:41:32 AM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Spent a lot of time in a traffic jam and at red lights etc. on the way to Ludwigsburg. It's incredibly hot when I walk round the town centre a bit. While looking around the big "market place", I can see Mariann & TV heading in my direction - so I "hide" a bit behind a corner and make a "surprise appearance"!  :D
TV is packed with guitar and bags, I volunteer to carry one heavy bag to the venue. Rock'n'Roll bar is a nice place, apparently famous for self-made burgers (incl. veggie ones), but unfortunately disaster hit them: the kitchen isn't working for some reason...  :(
Mariann and me head for an Italian restaurant, so we end up back at the market place again (quite windy on the way up). We make it back in time and meet Ilona and Wolfgang at the bar, before the gig begins. Free entry, so the small room is quite full (some familiar faces are there, probably people who saw TV before in nearby Stuttgart & elsewhere).
Mariann agrees to write down the setlist again (isn't it great when people do as they're told?  ;D)!
We've had some fun with these setlists, whenever I see a questioning look on her face, I try and help out with the song title (if I can).
It's very hot in the room and some lights above the merch desk heat it up even more, later I ask them to be turned off (friendly staff there at the bar - btw, the kitchen is back working again during the gig).
The gig is another blinder, again with new songs and "rarities" thrown in between the classics! Incredible to see 2 great gigs in a row!

Only One Flavour
Clone Town
London Hum
No Time To Be 21
We Who Wait
Tomahawk Cruise
Long Gone
You Save My Life Then Ruined It
Swimming In The Flood
What If
Coming In To Land
Lion And The Lamb
Useless
I Delete
Expensive Being Poor
Immortal Rich
Eurodisneyland Tomorrow
Great British Mistake
Roll Like A River
My String Will Snap
Pushed Again
The Drink
Good Times Are Back
In The Arms Of My Enemy
Generation Y
Punkrock Poem
Gary Gilmore's Eyes
Bored Teenagers
One Chord Wonders

Replay
Runaway Train Driver

This time with an encore (see above)! Another long one with many songs and again many highlights (for me):
Swimming in the flood, Eurodisneyland tomorrow (English version, btw!), Clone Town and all the new ones!  8)
No need for a whish list again, as TV comes up with great ideas for "rare" songs himself.  :)

We hang around and chat for a while. The DJ is playing punkrock records now (he played "Drowning Men" before the gig, much to my surprise). Later, when the DJ is gone, there's some heavy metal from cd, before they put on "Useless -Very Best of", which sounds good over these speakers! (TV says he hasn't heard it for quite a while.)
As the kitchen is back at work, TV receives a meal from them - thus I can take home the pasta we brought along from the restaurant - thanks again!  8)
Another late night drive home, but everything goes well. No heavy thunderstorms on the way.
Special thanks to Mariann for the setlist, to TV for a great show, to Ilona & Wolfgang for the nice chat.  :)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
Excellent reviews Uli (and thanks Mariann for the set=lists)..  Just need the set-list page to be updated...

Nice to see many "German Tuts" in attendance......

Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
I must get over to Germany again...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Excellent reviews Uli (and thanks Mariann for the set=lists)..  Just need the set-list page to be updated...

Thanks. Gabumon usually does these updates in "archives" (not sure if he's been online recently) or TV (when he's back from the tour).

I must get over to Germany again...

Especially South Germany! Like Augsburg tonight (with The Boys + another support, so sadly will be too short).

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Augsburg, Kantine (24.05.14)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 10:55:20 AM »
Let's add another one, shall we?  ;)
Ilona agreed on Thursday already to write down the setlist. Thank you! Ah, how great it is when people do what they're told!  ;D
Meet Ilona & Wolfgang outside of the "Kantine", soon TV joins us for a while, who tells us the good news that he'll be able to play longer than the 30 mins written on the official schedule. Then we meet Gerhard (organiser of the "ACUK" festival last year & who helped a lot to make EB13 possible) before we enter the building - it is part of now unused military buildings (used to be the "canteen" obviously). (Nearby is another club TV played a few years ago, "Kulturhaus Abraxas".)
Support band "The Madcaps" (from Augsburg) are sounding okay. Not a very long wait after their set until TV is on. Audience is a bit loud, some talking during the songs (which I'd feared would happen at the free entry gig on Thursday, but didn't!), although most of them seem to be enjoying it and then ask for an encore!  8)
Funny moment when the Dj gets to the micro to animate the crowd to shout for encore "that's not enough" then TV comes back and says "it is enough, I'm cheap"!  ;D

Only One Flavour
The First One To Sign Up
No Time To Be 21
Coming In To Land
Lion And The Lamb
I Delete
Expensive Being Poor
Immortal Rich
Great British Mistake
Soon As I Found It I Lost It
Pushed Again
Good Times Are Back
My String Will Snap
Generation Y
Punkrock Poem
Gary Gilmore's Eyes
Bored Teenagers
One Chord Wonders

In The Arms Of My Enemy

Good gig once more, and not that short!
Later we meet Verena & PamP (from Sunday onwards the next few gigs will be w/ PamP as support).
After a bit of a wait, The Boys start their gig with a very loud "TCP" (one of my faves), sadly the sound mix remains very bad during the gig - too loud (for my ears at least) and I can hear the keys only in one song! There's three vocalists, but thanks to the sound they all sound a bit like Mickey Mouse.  ::)
Not my fave Boys gig, as you'll have guessed by now. Somehow for me there's no real spark flying over. Of course the pogoing fans in front of the stage don't care that much for sound and other subtleties.  ;)
The DJ plays loud music afterwards, so not much chance to talk. When he plays "Should I stay or should I go", I take this as the hint to go now! I say goodbye to the TUTS & Tim. Another late night drive home... (the last for a while, or should I go to Buchloe? ...we'll have to wait and see!)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 11:07:29 AM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Lindenberg/Buchloe 24.5.14
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 09:35:50 AM »
Let's add one more, shall we?  ;)

How about driving to Buchloe/Lindenberg for another TV gig with a short stop in the nice town of Memmingen?
Sounds like fun? Ok, let's ride...

First thing however is to go voting (EU parliament and communal), where I meet an old mate I hadn't seen in a while, so we chat a bit outside. He works as a roofer, so you can guess which Adverts song I put on a mix cd for his b-day a few years ago.  ;)

Late afternoon: drive to Memmingen, find a parking space and explore the beautiful town centre with many old towers, buildings, small river etc.: http://www.memmingen.de/tourismus.html
Isn't it great when you can see something you've wanted to check out anyway on the way to a TV gig? I eat some ice cream and am very happy indeed.  :D
Dark clouds are moving in now, but I am about to drive on to Lindenberg anyway, with a very short stop in Buchloe to get some cash (in case I need to put petrol in on the way back).
Lindenberg is a really small village, I find the "Hauptstrasse" quickly, but can't see the pub "Hirsch" at first. I make a U-turn and see a parked car with a Swiss number plate, could be Mariann... I drive up the hill to the church, to get a view over the area and park my car there. Down the hill I can see a building with scaffoldings around it, looks like this could be the pub I'm looking for. I walk downhill and it is indeed, as PamP's van is there.  8)
The whole thing looks like there is a lot of construction work going on. But inside it's quite nice with sofas etc. and I find Mariann, Verena, Tim & PamP at the bar.
Not a lot of people are gathering for the gig, but it looks like it'll be a nice atmosphere at least.
PamP plays his support show with acoustic Garden Gang songs, sounding very good. Included are e.g. "License to live" and the latest single "There ain't no better place".
TV comes on soon thereafter and we get another very special setlist! Talking of which, I agreed to write it down myself this time, so I run to the barman and ask him for a pen and paper. "Not A Bad Day" is the first one, perfect choice on a day like this!
Audience is slim, but really appreciates TV playing just what he enjoys to play right now...

Not A Bad Day
March Of The Giants
Gather Your Things And Go
Walk The Plank
Together Alone
Only One Flavour
On The Roof
No Time To Be 21
Not In My Name
Atlantic Tunnel
Coming In To Land
I Wish I Could See Clearly
Expensive Being Poor
Television's Over
Lion And The Lamb
Useless
Immortal Rich
Worn Once
Festival Of Fools
In The Arms Of My Enemy
Gary Gilmore's Eyes
Bored Teenagers
One Chord Wonders

Generation Y

As you can see, there were some surprises, also songs I wished for ("Worn Once" for me & "Wish I could see clearly" for Mariann)!
I hadn't mentioned my mate the roofer, but TV performed "On The Roof", as if he knew...  ;)

Not a bad day? NOT A BAD DAY??? One of the best days of the whole year!  :)   :D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
pics
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »
Video someone filmed in Lindenberg (sorry, it's very dark - TV stepped down from the stage to be closer to us):
http://youtu.be/O_axqPt6gr8
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:06:54 PM by Uli »