Author Topic: TV Gigs 2015  (Read 32434 times)

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: TV Gigs 2015
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »
Just to clarify - It's not a competition until I start winning

Offline claret999

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2015, 11:32:11 PM »
Yes great result Alan, may see you at a TV gig before Rebellion this year

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Just to clarify - It's not a competition until I start winning

Typical Arsenal supporter!!
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »
New gigs been announced via tvsmith.com! Still not sure when/where to celebrate my 50th!  :-\
Already one gig for December close to my home in the nice town of Metzingen; I'd never even heard of "Club Thing", apparently some kind of youth club:
http://www.metzingen.de/164?view=publish&item=club&id=64

(But I hope for more gigs in the south before December!)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:58 PM »
Some nice dates there.

Manchester/Stockton on the same day..  Hopefully, not going by train!!  (Last one ex Manchester (at the monment) is 1857 and arrives at Thornaby at 2100hrs..  Thats not allowing for Engineering work, snow, rain......
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 05:04:19 PM »
Some nice dates there.

Manchester/Stockton on the same day..  Hopefully, not going by train!!  (Last one ex Manchester (at the monment) is 1857 and arrives at Thornaby at 2100hrs..  Thats not allowing for Engineering work, snow, rain......

And now Iceland being slipped in there..   Bugger, no trains there!
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »
Sorry about that Phil - this may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Yl4ehzX-o

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
"That was the best TV Smith I've ever seen. The sound, the songs and the atmosphere perfect." Rocket Ron at The Fox & Newt in Leeds last night.

Must admit it was a cracker.

Great to see TV, Claret, Alan Grundy, Phil, Gareth, Rocket Ron, Ian, Leigh Sayers. So many TUTS of old.

Derby bound today.
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 11:54:20 AM »
Indeed it was a cracker. Great to see TJ, Chris and Phil again. Good turnout, great atmosphere and the sound was excellent. Only disappointment was missing most of Louise's set even though we tried to get there early. I think Phil wrote the setlist out-either that or he was writing a letter.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
I think Phil wrote the setlist out-either that or he was writing a letter.

Yep, he's always writing love letters to the TV Smith Forum!  :-*
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline claret999

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
Fantastic night, great to see all the aforementioned TUTs again. Good job Louise lent TV a capo otherwise I would have not got my March of the Giants !

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »
Hopefully Phil will write a detailed review of Derby (especially since I missed most of the acts!), but I'd just like to say it was great to meet up with several familiar faces again last night and thanks again to Tim for "Thin Green Line".

You can just play the song without the high kicks you know, but I secretly suspect that you enjoy being the best Can-Can dancer to emerge from punk! It went down a storm, as usual, and got some other (non-Can-Can) dancing going.

By the way, I played this to some students recently at the start of an atmospheric pollution lecture and they loved it. Oh, and "Safety in Numbers" went down well at the start of my ethology lecture on Living in Groups!

Who says TV isn't educational?!

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
Crikey.. I am in demand for my reviews (blushing!!)

So not to dissapoint you kind readers.

My sister suggested another Smith sojourn, and who am I to dissapoint?

The bonus was that TV was to play Crash records, so we curtailed our imbibing at the Friends of Ham and found our way to crash, via the City Varieties Theatre, just to see where "The Good Old Days" was filmed..  (See television history also gets a feature in my reports)

Ok so on to Crash..  to be told that it was "hoped" that TV was still coming, but had been delayed by his train being cancelled, so we diverted to a pub called the "3-legged man".  If in Leeds, I would suggest avoiding it and should really have done so myself, but in the fairness of "research...."  It was one of those pubs, where the stench of stale beer hit you on opening the door, plus the stench of the clientel....  Karaoke was in full swing (5pm!!) and if I said that it was dire, the that would be giving dire a bad name.  The only "non-fizz" was John Smiths on tap.  Still better than t'nowt (see you even get the dialect thrown in!)..  1 pint was enough, lets just put it that way...  Then back to Crash to be told that the session was off because of traffic getting out of York.

A gentle stroll found us at the Frog & Next and what a nice place.  Nice bar staff, some really excellent ale and a very nice plate of Nachos.  Retired upstairs when it opened and found a nice "niche" looking "side-on" to the proceeding.  Louise did an approx 40 mins set, throwing in a couple of new songs.

TV started around 9.15pm and produced at set of 28 songs, over 90 minutes, there was a mild panic when he found that he had lost his "cappo" and after searching the guitar case found everything but (but no socks either!).  Louise came to the rescue 8 songs in and all was well.

And so dear reader the set-list (about time I hear)

Replay, 21, Flavour, Clone, Delete, Lion, Expensive, Imm Rich, Giants, GBM, Gen Y, CITL, Wait, Future, Drink, Tom Cruise, Long Gone, Church, Lords, Thousands, Television, Arms, String, Useless, GGE, BT, OCW & RTD.

End of Part 1
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »
And so to Derby..

A stroll around Derby found us at the Hairy Dog about 6pm a very dark venue, but welcoming staff and again good ale on tap.

We sojourned into town for food and then returned about 7.45 around 30  in the bar, which was playing "thrash metal". After about 40 mins we were still sitting there waiting, Louise appeared, came to say hi, disapeared.. Time for another pint me thinks.  Mentioned to the barman about the gig,  "Oh that's upstairs he said"..  Upstairs!!! and he was right....  so we missed most of the 1st act "Static Kill", who (for the bit that we saw) we very good, then Billy Liar, really excellent and could he pay his guitar!!  Louise next (nothing to be said here) and then Tim at about 2220hrs.  Again a 90 mins set 29 songs.

Fred, TJ & myself formed the choir!!

And the list...

Flavour, 21, CITL, Replay, Delete, Lamb, Expensive, Imm, GBM, TV, My Place, Hometown (after a false start!), Roof. Carrying on, Long Gone, Dang Play, String, What if, Church, Lords, TGL, Fish, Arms, GG, BT, OCW.   Encore of Bombsite, Gen, & RTD 

And so dear readers that is it until the next time...   Now where the map & timetables!!!!
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable