Author Topic: Book Of The Year - Tour Diaries Vol. 5  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Book Of The Year - Tour Diaries Vol. 5
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 08:13:51 PM »
Cheers Uli,
There's a review of the new CD due to go up on LTW & a video interview with TV at Bradford on Saturday. Just waiting on the powers that be to post them. Will put the links up when I can.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
Book and album arrived in the same package today.

Nice 'N' cheaply does it!

Thanks, Tim :)
Down like a stick...

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
me too Shane ! looks like TV took a suitcase full of merch to the post office yesterday :)
I got some presents for you boo-boo

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 12:42:45 AM »
Definitely the handwriting of the man himself on the jiffy bag!   :)
Down like a stick...

Offline TV

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 03:01:56 PM »
Yes. Where are my minions when I need them?

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
In the fridge, next to the minimushrooms?

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
Yes. Where are my minions when I need them?
You have to let them out of the dungeon to get the best out of them. But don't get them wet or feed them after midnight!

You crazy kids!! ::)
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 04:28:31 PM »
Definitely the handwriting of the man himself on the jiffy bag!   :)

We should be aware: he knows where we live, so we better be careful what we post here...  :-[
 ;)
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »
Definitely the handwriting of the man himself on the jiffy bag!   :)

We should be aware: he knows where we live, so we better be careful what we post here...  :-[
 ;)

Absolutely!

Last time I gave TV a negative review, I kept getting 2am minicabs, pizza deliveries, 3 grand pianos and a tonne of manure delivered to my door! Every delivery had a note attached saying "You'll think twice before saying that thing that you said about me again, won't you?!"

At least, Ithinkit was Tim.

Or Bono.

I forget...
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 11:04:14 AM »
I'm in it too!  :)
My "career" as a photographer has taken off. After a near ten-year-break from taking photos, I only started again in early 2013 and now one of my pics is in this book!  8)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
It was with regret that I finished TD5 last night. I think that this was the best of the diaries, maybe because I was at some of the gigs, and, before anyone else says it.., it featured a lot of train journies (whoo! whoo!).
Seriously, it has been said before, the lengths that artistes go to to promote their wares, enthusiasm, talent is rarely seen by "joe public"
I know that TD6 will not be forthcoming and perhaps rightly so, as TD5 has it all.

Now lets all play "horsebox"..
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
I too finished reading Tour Diary 5 aka The Book of The Year. It's a cracker!

I find TV's books really infectious. Just like his tunes.

Gawd only know how he survived his Russia trip.

I was hoping (probably due to the front cover) that this book would be a little more about his gigs and songs, but it still has the same comments like... they really liked two of my new songs. And you are left pondering over which songs it was. I find this a little strange, as I would imagine that the vast majority of people who read his books are actually TV Smith fans.

Anyway, I still cant put these books down. Truly infectious.

What the hell is going to happen at this venue and this hotel? TV is becoming more and more TL than TV these days.

Where will he find the cheese?

It was great to read Jock, one of the original TUTS, playing a key part in TV's final recorded tour journey. I just wish it was Jock on the top of that glorious punk pyramid.

On a personal note these five books capture the years where I first met TV at Leeds Duchess to the Derby Victoria gig where I offered to carry his merch.

It's been an amazing journey that has seen TV become my favourite singer-songwriter of all time. When I first met him he was in ninth place. Shock! Horror!

I got so excited I even started a fan club (with my mate Klaus) as a bit of a laugh. A sort of TVSmith United Tour Supporters thing called The TUTS! Earthbound fan club conventions swiftly followed. I love making names up... Such as, my old drinking club called the DRAY Riders (Drinking Real Ale in Yorkshire by road and rail). They've been going out drinking around Yorkshire every Monday night since September 15th 1986.

It's quite funny to watch how my own description in the book develops. From the man who touched Gayed Adverts leg (just below the knee) in Volume 1 (at my second TV solo gig in Northallerton's Tanner Hop) to a TV Smith gig arranger in one of the middle books, to TV's mate at Leeds & Sheffield and one of the TUTS (with Smit) an Derby in Volume 5.

So what should I do to celebrate the end of the TV Tour Diaries? Yep! I'll taxi Teev to Derby Victoria after the Leeds  Fox & Newt gig and get back on a mini tour with "The Great Man".

After all that's how my fan obsession really began... The TV and Tj tour of 5 Yorkshire (Leeds/Sheffield) and Midland (Cambridge/Long Eaton/Lincoln) gigs in October 2001. Which included the first two gigs I ever arranged for TV at Sheffield and Leeds. Those where the days where I first met TUTS like Fred and Alan. Magical days.

Thank you for creating an amazing 21st Century TV.  ;)

Keep Carrying On...   
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »
I was hoping (probably due to the front cover) that this book would be a little more about his gigs and songs, but it still has the same comments like... they really liked two of my new songs. And you are left pondering over which songs it was.

Gabumon is putting a lot of effort into the setlist archive. Maybe you can find that gig there and look it up.

I got so excited I even started a fan club (with my mate Klaus) as a bit of a laugh. A sort of TVSmith United Tour Supporters thing called The TUTS!

Sounds interesting. Nice people?  ;)

So what should I do to celebrate the end of the TV Tour Diaries? Yep! I'll taxi Teev to Derby Victoria after the Leeds  Fox & Newt gig and get back on a mini tour with "The Great Man".

No match for a "thrilling" shopping excursion to get a vacuum cleaner or shaver...  ;D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
TV & The Holy Grail
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
Been re-reading the entry of September 23rd. TV mentions a mountain outside of Barcelona with a monastry (and a black Madonna), Jonathan tells him about a story of Hitler visiting "looking for the Holy Grail" (apparently it wasn't clear if he was more disappointed with not finding a Grail or the Madonna being black...)!
Interesting, must find out more about this and tell Rat Scabies to have a look (well, the area around the Pyrenees is "Grail country" anyway).  8)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TV & The Holy Grail
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 02:13:25 PM »
Been re-reading the entry of September 23rd. TV mentions a mountain outside of Barcelona with a monastry (and a black Madonna), Jonathan tells him about a story of Hitler visiting "looking for the Holy Grail" (apparently it wasn't clear if he was more disappointed with not finding a Grail or the Madonna being black...)!
Interesting, must find out more about this and tell Rat Scabies to have a look (well, the area around the Pyrenees is "Grail country" anyway).  8)

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/montserrat-spain.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:51:04 PM by Uli »
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable