Author Topic: They do matter  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
They do matter
« on: November 15, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »
Of course these lives do matter, as much as any others.

There is a buffet of media; we would rather digest the sweet pointless posts and videos, than the news stories and tragedy that leaves a lump in our throat.

A friend asked me why this was the case and why this wasn't major news on all media forms; to use a popular phrase why this hadn't broke the internet?

Well, it could be because they are Black, could be because they are far away or even simply because the media has created a narrative about Africa. That narrative is a place that is uneducated, uncivilised and a conflict zone. Not a place of development, growth, innovation and full of people with hopes, dreams and aspirations just like anywhere else. This media driven narrative means people read stories about Africa and think "that's ok, that happens there all the time". This gives people an excuse not to emphasise. Not to care. Not to share. Not to write that status, tweet or share that post. "Africa and violence is old news". Do these lives not matter? Are we that busy sharing rubbish that we can't take a moment to care for these students?

http://www.antoinespeaks.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/most-people-wont-share-this-because.html?m=1

But then again, if you try and take in all the bad news coming in from all over the world every day, you'll probably go crazy or commit suicide...  :(

Check your mind; when was the last time you read a story about someone who didn't look like you, live in your country or wasn't 'famous'?
When was the last time you sat and read a news story from start to finish?
When was the last time you thought "i won't let this story be forgotten between the posts about cats and selfies"?
When was the the last time you thought someone needs to read this; "The world needs to read, see and act on this"?

Well all this has happened with me. But I also found out sharing things that "matter" on FB gets you about 2 "likes", sharing some rubbish joke gets you about 25...  ::)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:55:05 AM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: They do matter
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »
I often try to enter into internet conversations and I try to be reasoned, fair and use only facts not just biased insults based on personal beliefs, political leanings, etc.

And within 5 minutes I'm insulted and abused.

You cannot reason with people that have no reason. And there seem to be more people without reason than with.

The world is insane and we're all to blame.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:25:21 PM »
There are so many reasons not to go on arsebook but most of them are to do with...the people who post there.

This is why I stick to just a couple of forums where  (mostly) people are civil. The few that aren't are easy to speak to when they're being unreasonable, unlike large public forums where cowardly weasels carry out drive-by character assassinations as they haven't got the courage of their own convictions or troll their way through their miserable lives in an attempt to feel good by making someone else feel bad.

Ignore

Them
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »
Didn't really know where to put it, guess it fits in here a bit...

http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rollins-white-america-couldnt-handle-what-black-america-deals-with-every-day-7134994

Things are bad, but I would posit that they have been this way for as far back into American history as you want to go. What has changed is the amount of information available to the average citizen. Thanks to cellphones and people employing social networking to spread news quickly, what goes on minute to minute has crossed the line into overload.

Now that you can watch people die on Facebook, your evaluation of the facts and the sheer amount of information you want to deal with is up to you. But you can no longer say you donít know whatís going on. ...

If white America experienced a fraction of what black America deals with regarding law enforcement, incarceration, the court system, employment and countless other facts of life, they would immediately and collectively lose their minds.

Since an upgrade will not occur on a national level via presidential pen stroke or SCOTUS decision, you have to take it upon yourself to be an infinitely fantastic person every single day. There will be times when it will be a bitch to be so awesome, but youíll handle it. This century will be about incredible individuals. Bold acts of kindness and a genuine desire to at least try to see things from someone elseís perspective are but two of the mandatory requirements for betterment moving forward.

Donít wait for your government. Itís a broken machine that can only deliver damaged goods. Prejudice coats the mechanics of the USAís OS. Attempts to clean the parts are attacked as big-government, special-interest meddling. Itís by no means a Gordian knot, but a total system retool is required. It would be incredibly expensive and time-consuming, and the growing pains would be enormous. Not gonna happen.

Equality, tolerance and decency are not inherently American or human traits. They are values you choose to adopt and use or not. So, be amazing all the time.
(Read more at the link above.)
Just around the corner and miles away...