Author Topic: Forthcoming 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes' Remix 12"  (Read 5892 times)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Forthcoming 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes' Remix 12"
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
Seems like it's a 12" record plus cd (yeah that's the easiest part) and what I gather from the text is that it will be 4 remixes of the song (each with TV involved), ranging from electro-rock to acoustic, sometimes with female background vocals.

I've never been the biggest fan of remixes...  :-\
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 05:31:16 PM »
Google Translate (and you know I'm a BIG fan) to the rescue:

"Yeah, time really flies! So it is these days already thirty-seven years ago, The Adverts blew our socks "Gary Gilmore's Eyes", a real punk anthem, the first American who was executed effective after the reintroduction of the death penalty.

Today brings the new label Tracks & Traces, under the wings of us all Starman Records, a 12 inch vinyl EP out, with accompanying CD, which can be heard four remixes of the song. TV Smith, the founder of The Adverts, is still active in the music business and has a hand in four new versions of this classic, which we can only hope they catch on. The song itself is very strong in its simplicity. The remixes range from electro-rock-with-barbed to acoustic. In all four cases, you keep the original single version, there continue to hear through, but the electronics and the mixing (of KGB and Martin Bowes add quite a bit of news: sometimes the focus is on the ladies of the backing vocals, then again the basslines In any case, this is the ultimate proof of the strength of this song:. in all four versions he remains effortlessly up and something tells me that the clubbers this summer will herald a new future for this song ....

Admittedly, I'm a fan, but even without that derogation would I dare say with hand on heart that this ep is a very welcome addition to the record collection of everyone who ever a party dares to listen."

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »
'Club' remixes, eh?  ;D

Offline TV

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »
You love it  ;)
This project started many years ago after Martin Bowes from Attrition told me he wanted to record a new version of the song. I stayed over at his place one night after a gig in Coventry and we recorded a new acoustic version for him to build an electronic remix on. After that Attrition became very big in the club/goth scene, Martin got very busy with that and the idea slept for a few years. He finally got round to his remix recently, then contacted a guy from a label in Belgium who then came to one of my gigs over there and told me he was very excited about it. He did a couple of remixes too, and we also kept the original acoustic version on the EP. I'm not saying this is going to go down well with all Adverts fans, but I think it's a worthwhile direction to take the song - something different rather than just another punk rehash.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »
Thanks Tim.

I'm looking forward to raving in a field to it.  ;)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:37:26 AM »
I was raving in the field behind our house - but my wife told me to shut up, so I came in and found this instead:

http://www.starmanrecords.com/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118&Itemid=3

Looks like it's available from the 15th remix-punk-pop-club pickers!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 08:33:55 AM »
Still waiting for the "dub" mix of "Revolution's the same" by the way.  ;)

This project started many years ago after Martin Bowes from Attrition told me he wanted to record a new version of the song.

I think someone told me about this back then!  :o
(Never knew what to make of it, as there weren't any news on it, until now.)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
Scroll down a bit, there's an article about the remix project:
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/backbeat-three-minute-heroes-stars-9483213
Back in the punk infested 70s, when the New Wave revolution was booming, a thousand garage bands picked up instruments in defiance of the corporate run music scene. I loved them all, punk was our music revolution, and I believe its wake is still felt today. One band that gave more than it got, was The Adverts. Their energy was undeniable, but there was so much more to this band, and in hindsight that’s even more evident with frontman TV Smith’s insightful solo career.

I first saw The Adverts at Tiffany’s and loved “One Chord Wonders”, and their biggest hit, the broodingly sinister pop song “Gary Gilmore’s Eyes”. Fourteen years ago, “Gary Gilmore’s Eyes” was revamped as a collaboration with Coventry’s own Martin Bowes under his band name Attrition.

Martin takes up the story: “1977. A year that changed everything for me. I remember seeing The Advert’s performing Gary Gilmore’s eyes on Top of the Pops. Loved TV Smith’s song writing. I still do. He’s been more than a little influence on me. Twenty-three years later and a chance meeting between us online and I was helping arrange a show in Coventry for a now solo TV Smith.

“We started recording a collaborative version of Gary Gilmore’s eyes in my studio. It wasn’t the right time for me and the project lay shelved for 14 years... until another chance meeting online between me and our old Antler records label boss Roland Beelen.

“We shared a love for The Adverts and I mentioned this long forgotten project. It had to be completed and it has finally been released and we both love it. TV Smith’s take on the song was, Wow, that’s pretty cool Martin – I love it! The punks will probably hate it and I don’t care! That’s been worth waiting for, very happy about it.”

It really is a terrific version, no longer a pop song, it’s powerful and angry, suiting the subject matter perfectly (a murderer has been killed and he donates his sight to science). “Gary Gilmore’s Eyes” By Attrition vs TV Smith is available now.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 04:54:45 PM »
https://attritionuk.bandcamp.com/album/gary-gilmores-eyes

Download and vinyl available at that link NOW.

Only a few of the LIMITED vinyl left.

Ordered mine...get yours quick.  ;)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »
*SNAP*

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
...and when I say the vinyl is LIMITED I mean there were only 20 made and there's only 7 left.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »
Now that IS limited - I hadn't realised.

Was this release mentioned on, what I'm now driven to call, F*c*b**k? It isn't in the news section of the front page.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »
Oh yes, some very wibbily-wobbily synthesiser sounds on there. After one hearing, I think my preferences are versions 3, 4, 2, 1 and 5 in that order.

I feel a poll coming on...