4 (50%)
No
2 (25%)
Unsure
1 (12.5%)
Disinterested
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: The Great Brexit Mistake?  (Read 11979 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Brexit Mistake?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »
That's a very good read!

Listening to all the fallout today, what continues to amaze me is how the party that was most surprised when a snap election was called was the Tories! Isn't the whole point of being in power, and therefore knowing that you are going to call an election, is that you have a march on all the opposition and are ready for it?

Strong and stable government?

About as strong and stable as you and me in a three-legged race without our walking sticks Ken!

How long before the inevitable next election? I'm guessing October...
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
There's a real possibility that the Cons will destroy themselves from within which is what they've been saying the Labour Party was going to do. The Cons don't want her, Labour don't want her, virtually nobody wants her.

If the Cons can't hold it together, if there are resignations, if MPs switch allegiances, if the Thurrock Tory is convicted and loses his seat, this all reduces the very small majority she's clinging to.

Also, if it's true what I've been hearing today, and an alliance with the DUP actually breaches the Good Friday Agreement, then that's scuppered that. It would be illegal. And an ex-Home Secretary should've known that surely?

I'm no seer of futures but I'd probably be convinced to place a small wager on another election this year. And a larger bet on a Labour win.

I really can't see May staying leader nor her Party staying in power for another 5 years.

But, as I said, the main thing I've taken from all this is hope. And I thought I'd lost that.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »
Well she's not looking very strong and stable at least......

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »
Maggie May-hem?

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2017, 01:35:15 PM »
It's a Maydup government full of Theresa-ists.......

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »
Boom! Boom!

Maggie Mayhem is a great name for a punk singer, but not a PM.

Anyhow, it's all starting to unwind...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40243782

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2017, 06:55:43 PM »
How much is your vote worth?

Well done to the ten DUP MP's as it turns out that theirs are worth £100 M - each!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434

I've honestly never been so irate at political news. How dare they inflict their "austerity" measures on the rest of the country while pulling £1 B out to prop up a failing Government?!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
Without effective reciprocal arrangements for movement of people between the UK and EU, the UK may see a decline in skilled cultural sector workers coming to the country. Such a development would be to the detriment of the sector, and represent a significant loss to the audiences that enjoy seeing talent from across Europe performing in the UK.

The Committee suggests the Government consider two possible visa options that would recognise the two-way benefits that accrue from allowing artists, entertainers and other cultural sector workers to move freely between the UK and EU:
- Extending the permitted paid engagement and permit-free festival arrangements to EU citizens;
- Offering a multi-country, multi-entry short-term 'touring visa' for EU citizens, and seek a reciprocal commitment for UK citizens travelling to the EU.

https://www.recordoftheday.com/on-the-move/news-press/lords-warn-uk-cultural-sector-may-suffer-after-brexit-without-reciprocal-visa-agreements-with-the-eu

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2018, 09:57:54 AM »
https://www.kerrang.com/features/mogwais-stuart-braithwaite-talks-kin-country-and-the-catastrophe-of-brexit/

As a band that tours regularly, in Europe and further afield, let’s start with the hottest topic of right now for musicians that have to travel to make a living: Brexit. You can be pretty political on Twitter, so just how are you, and the band, dealing with what’s potentially happening to the UK next year? Because it’s going to change everything for touring bands, and not for the better.

We were in France, at a press conference, and there were people asking us questions about Brexit – but they were all still acting like it wasn’t going to happen. Like, they couldn’t believe that it would. They’ve seen all the headlines – you know, about there being “adequate food” for us, and that sort of stuff – and they can’t believe we’d do that to ourselves. People overseas just think it’s… weird, that we’re doing this.

It’s going to be a pain in the arse for us, but it’s going to be so much worse for new bands. After Brexit, they just won’t be able to tour. How many bands from the UK hardly go to America? Loads of them, and that’s because it’s hard to get visas, and the travel costs involved. You have that in Europe, and it’s going to make musicians’ lives worse – and the lives of people who like music, because they’re not going to be able to see bands whose music they like.

And you’ll need a visa to come and play in the UK, too, so it works both ways. And as a band, if you don’t travel, you’re going to have fewer options when it comes to playing live, and making money. Bands simply won’t bother with the complications of coming to the UK – bands who are young, just starting out, that is. If they’re playing to not so many people, they’re not going to come to the UK, because it’ll be too expensive to do so. And even for big bands, if the pound keeps dropping, they’ll probably decide to not come here if they can make twice as much in Paris or Barcelona. Why come to most cities in Britain, instead of that?

So, it’ll take a while for people to realise, after Brexit, just how bad it is for music. The irony is that the people pulling the strings are the same people who will be insulated from the harm of it. These people can move their money to different countries and find ways of making Brexit beneficial to themselves. But for the vast majority of us, life is going to become pointlessly hard.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »
Clocks going back means Brexit is delayed by another full hour, moan Brexiters

http://newsthump.com/2017/10/28/clocks-going-back-means-brexit-is-delayed-by-another-full-hour-moan-brexiters/

;D

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2018, 03:14:27 PM »
Thanks Uli - I enjoyed that!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »

Time for popcorn indeed?  ???
Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab resigned just before 09:00 GMT
Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey followed an hour later
European Research Group of Tory MPs to submit letters calling for confidence vote in Theresa May's position
Junior Northern Ireland minister Shailesh Vara, junior Brexit minister Suella Braverman, and parliamentary private secretaries Anne-Marie Trevelyan and Ranil Jayawardena also step down

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile