Author Topic: TV Gigs 2017  (Read 10086 times)

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
Re: TV Gigs 2017
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »
Tea time gigs must be very exhausting, not a word from Fred since then.  :o
Are you okay, Fred? How was it?

Must've had too much tea...

;)
Down like a stick...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »

Sunday, 5 PM.

Excepting festival appearances, that’s an unusual time for a TV Smith gig. Would it be “Tiffin with Timothy” or a “TV Dinner” I (One Chord) wondered?

The bar forming the venue for this event is also a rather unusual shape for a live music venue as it consists of several small rooms/alcoves radiating out from the central bar area. As I walked in (in the pouring rain – as usual, God never wants me to see TV live!) I noticed TV’s guitar set up in one of the front areas that was already full of (mainly) regulars digesting their Sunday dinners. How will this work I wondered?

I entered to find Sally and Alan Grundy standing at the bar (they’re not daft!) in the area where Tim was due to play. Given my concerns about a tea-time performance, I was rather concerned to note that they were standing right next to the tea and coffee machine! Fortunately, lager remained the drink of the day for those of us imbibing.

Tim arrived and said that rather than doing two sets with a break, he’d prefer to start later (at 6 PM – are there any decent people out at that time of night?) and do one long one. Great – to the bar again!

…and then outside for some catching up and a good laugh until show time.

No need to worry about the venue or time, a great TV Smith gig followed with the crowd being quickly won over. And there was some winning over to do since a load of punks that had come following TV’s appearance the previous night had to listen (no way to see it) in the other little rooms/alcoves or outside. Tim addressed the issue of those outside by saying that he’d been told many times that he sounded better behind double glazing – the crowd liked that one a lot! Towards the end, a few requests came in, including “I Complain”, which Tim did not complain about but merely introduced the song with the appropriate nomenclature.

Two songs new to me were played: “File it under not my problem” (Funny) and another one about a pen breaking/travelling from East to West, etc., etc. (Not Funny). Ideally I’d have written this sooner and I might have remembered what it was called – especially as I’d made a point of asking afterwards what it was called! Oh well, you just can’t get good quality reviewers these days I guess…

The gig ended with the traditional GGE, Bored Teenagers and OCW – Tim broke a string during OCW, so that really was that. Tim finished to rapturous applause and thanked everyone for coming and said how nice it was to play at “The Dog and Partridge” to a real dog – since the soundman had brought his entire family, including a beautiful German Sheppard.

With that it was time for another good laugh before heading for home and getting back in the middle of the night - it must have gone 9.30!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »
Given my concerns about a tea-time performance, I was rather concerned to note that they were standing right next to the tea and coffee machine! Fortunately, lager remained the drink of the day for those of us imbibing.

So you did not have a cup of tea for me?  :o

Two songs new to me were played: “File it under not my problem” (Funny) and another one about a pen breaking/travelling from East to West, etc., etc. (Not Funny). Ideally I’d have written this sooner and I might have remembered what it was called – especially as I’d made a point of asking afterwards what it was called! Oh well, you just can’t get good quality reviewers these days I guess

Oh well, we take what we can get...

(Seriously, thanks for the review!!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:11:09 PM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
D'oh! I KNEW I'd forgotten something (besides the song title!).

If it's any consolation Alan was on coke and, whilst cold, it has caffeine too.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »
... Alan was on coke

Sounds dubious...  ::)

;)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
You nose what I mean!

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2017, 11:02:51 PM »
If it's any consolation Alan was on coke
Even with all that coke Fred, I still remembered the song title - "Already Written Out"!
Even the unusually early start for TV didn't subdue his performance and a (getting on for) 2 hour show (and the good company) rounded off a great weekend of shows for me. The Manchester one was an absolute corker and although I had to
persevere through the majority of bands at Punk Uttoxeter, TV's set was worth it.
I'll swot up on the jokes for Scunthorpe Fred!

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »
D'oh!

The joke's on me - but at least I remembered it was something to do with pens!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2017, 09:17:41 AM »
Even with all that coke Fred, I still remembered the song title - "Already Written Out"!

Well done, thank you!  :)

Offline Rob-C

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
McChuills, Glasgow, Scotland.

Friday 29 September

Poster in the window advertised 'The Return Of Punk Poet - TV Smith'

Only One Flavour
Clone Town
No Time To Be 21
Keys To the World
No Control
Coming In To Land
Tomahawk Cruise
Replay
I Delete
Lion & the Lamb
We Stand Alone
Expensive Being Poor
Immortal Rich
Great British Mistake
Generation Y
Land Of the Overdose
My String Will Snap
Gary Gilmore's Eyes
Bored Teenagers
One Chord Wonders

65 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:18:02 AM by Rob-C »

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2017, 08:50:18 AM »
McChuills, Glasgow, Scotland.

Friday 29 September

Poster in the window advertised 'The Return Of Punk Poet - TV Smith'

Only One Flavour
Clone Town
No Time To Be 21
Keys To the World
No Control
Coming In To Land
Tomahawk Cruise
Replay
I Delete
Lion & the Lamb
We Stand Alone
Expensive Being Poor
Immortal Rich
Great British Mistake
Generation Y
Land Of the Overdose
My String Will Snap
Gary Gilmore's Eyes
Bored Teenagers
One Chord Wonders

65 minutes.

I needn't have bothered writing down the set list!  :D

This was the 'gig in another country' I'd mentioned recently that me and Mrs Slaughterboy were going to attend as a surprise.

Got to the venue early (after having a tasty curry just a couple of minutes walk away) and bumped straight into Tim and Sally as we walked in. Surprise it was, no matter how brief.

Tim noted my attempt to disguise our intention to see him in Glasgow by mentioning that my passport had expired (it really had!) and that he was trying to work out which 'foreign' gig we were going to turn up at. Helen hadn't met Sally before but had a good old girlie chat together.

The support act played a bit later than expected. I'm always aware that this minor indiscretion has the negative effect of cutting into Tim's set, but they were ok otherwise.

Tim's set was the usual blast from start to finish. Managed to station myself next to the speaker, stage left and let him bellow in my left ear for the next hour and a bit: worth it, of course!  :)

So...for only the second time in 30 years of holidays with the missus, there's been a gig in town worth attending, by coincidence, while we've been away.

Great night  :)
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
Thanks to the both of you!  8)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 30, 2017, 02:36:18 PM »

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
Not now I'm not: Back in sunny Catford if you please!

Enjoyed our 3 nights of mingling with some very drunk Scotsmen  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:03:45 PM by slaughterboy »
Down like a stick...

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »
Essen was a nice little gig, not Sold out but it was good.

Mülheim was the AZ Anniversary Festival, aka. lots of drunk Punks from all over the Rheinland/Ruhrgebiet, drug abuse and stuff. TV had a 60 Minutes Spot on the Big Stage. Was a good mixed Festival Set.

Setlist comes later.
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D