Author Topic: The Damned - Pledge album.  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The Damned - Pledge album.
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
But "I'm alright Jack and the beanstalk" is a cracker!  ;)
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2018, 06:36:40 PM »
Not that we're interested in the charts, but... (lucky) number 7.  8)

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »
The tracks I heard were awful; I thought I was listening to ELP!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
"Ugh, it's prog rock" said the punk fans in 1980 when they heard "Curtain Call" for the first time... years later they called it a "classic"...

Anyway, after 10 years went by since "SWP?", I'd accept nearly anything (yeah even "Anything")!  ;D
There are a few tracks I don't really get warm with (e.g. the title song and "The daily liar"), but some others are good. (Gotta admit Monty's keyboards are featured pretty prominently.)
There's even a song about me ("never do today what you can do tomorrow... procrastination... if I do too much it'll only end in sorrow")!   :o

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2018, 09:48:51 AM »
So what do you do when you have just had a top 10 album in the UK? Touring central Europe of course... ;)

Well, I had been thinking Frankfurt was way too far for me. But this week, with not much work (unfortunately) I thought "well, maybe I could..." and "maybe I could take a little detour on the way to the nice region of Odenwald (e.g. Wildenburg, a German "Grail castle"...)"! So I looked up the way to the "Batschkapp" venue in Frankfurt, took notes - and then left the note at home (of course).  ::) Anyway, I had a nice day in the Odenwald and then drove in the direction of Frankfurt. When I wrote something down, I remember it better, so I did find the way (bit of intuition included), I took this as a sign that I had to see this gig!  8)

So there I was, on the parking lot of Batschkapp in Frankfurt. Some people already there, enjoying the nice evening outside with a beer or food (yes there is a food stand outside). Went in and bought a ticket, then outside again to enjoy the last rays of the sunshine. Back inside in time for the support act, "Les Millionaires". A woman on vocals and a man on guitar, she also programmed the beatbox. First song was based on a Stooges riff with French lyrics sung over it (no idea what they meant). It went on in similar fashion and was quite a laugh, they even were allowed one encore.
Met my mate Markus (who I first met a TV gig in Karlsruhe many years ago), who was quite surprised to see me. He'd spent hours in a traffic jam with his mates, so I was glad I'd taken the "scenic" route off the main roads...

The Damned started with "Wait for the blackout". Jon Priestly (stand-in on bass) is no Paul Gray, but quite good (especially on Anti-pope he shone!). The sound mix was very good, Vanian's vocals very clear - you could hear every word, except the ones he forgot. ;) "Plan 9 Channel 7" was next, after this I don't know the exact setlist... "Fan Club" was one of the first, then "Standing on the edge of tomorrow", plus later "Devil in disguise" (only 2 from the new album - not a great way to promote it, but never mind...). "Street Of Dreams" was one of THE (many) highlights for me, as was "History of the world"!

These songs were played: Dr Jekyll, New rose, Love Song, 2nd time around, I just can't be happy today, Eloise, Neat Neat, Ignite (complete with audience sing-along which continued well after the song was over).

Encores were "Under the floor again" (heard it on cd in the car and thought "they probably won't play this"!) & "So messed up", then "Lively Arts" & "Silly Kids Games" (don't think I'd ever heard these live before) and "Smash it up".

As mentioned, great sound, band firing on all cylinders (wonder why the album is missing this kind of "energy") & a willing audience made it one of the best Damned gigs I saw. I was sober (long drive home afterwards), if I'd had lots of beer I'd probably swear it was the best.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:24:13 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it Uli. Having missed the Spring tour, I've got to wait until the end of November to see them...
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
Street Of Dreams from Frankfurt:
https://youtu.be/XCVMVisUviU

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »
https://mediamikes.com/2018/05/damneds-pinch-talks-bands-latest-release-evil-spirits/
Adam Lawton: With a 10 year lapse between albums, what prompted the idea/creation to go ahead with a brand new full length release?

Pinch: It was the Pledge campaign, which after launch, was so successful we could see there was the demand for a new record that we all knew was there. To see that demand become real was very satisfying and we have to heartily thank our incredible fans for that. After our last (self funded) record, we knew we had to have Dave V fully on board with this one and he stepped up admirably, committing both musically and promotionally, whereas previously he had seemed somewhat reticent to launch himself fully into the project. The record really needed Dave’s touch and I’m happy that he dusted off the cobwebs and got songwriting again. His tunes and vision really drive “Evil Spirits” nicely and I think the mix of song styles by all contributing writers underlines the Damned’s ability to pleasantly surprise both fans and new listeners.

AL: How did the writing process go for “Evil Spirits”? Do you work separately from one another or collectively?

Pinch: It was a funny chess game leading up to this album. Captain seemed to be holding back his contributions, encouraging Dave to feel he had the freedom to create whatever took his fancy. It seemed at one point that everyone was too scared to offer up demos for fear of the wrong direction being taken. Thankfully, when push came to shove and we had a producer and studio time locked down, the songs were popping into the dropbox thick and fast. We ended up with at least a couple of records worth of songs from all writers, and it was decided to let someone else choose the final songs for “Evil Spirits”. I think the record works really well as a collection and perhaps some of the songs that didn’t make it would sound great together too, but as a band, sometimes you are too close to the art to make that call clearly. Captain likes to deliver fully finished demos, very well produced I may add, whereas the rest of us offer up a mostly completed song that benefits from all members adding their personalities. Sitting in a room together with a blank notepad is not the way any of us work best, as the years of pharmaceutical inspiration are thankfully long gone. However, working under the gun, with deadlines looming, seems to drag out inspiration by the bucket full.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2018, 05:44:26 PM »
Munich's Damned gig is sold out - glad I decided to drive to Frankfurt and not Munich (would be frustrating to arrive to "sold out" signs)! :D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »
Instead of watching the footie, you could also listen to The Damned in session on BBC6Music! (Or just mute the telly and turn on the radio.)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b5sykz
Your eyes are not deceiving you we have yer actual The Damned in session from Salford, and Marc could not be more excited.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile