Author Topic: Dodgy 'punk' bands???!!!  (Read 45238 times)

Offline mickmercer

• New Discoverer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mickmercer.com
Dodgy 'punk' bands???!!!
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2003, 08:12:10 PM »
I can't believe someone called The Carpettes dodgy! They were superb live, because they were fast, and being an ultra-melodic trio put it all over in the most powerful manner. They've even stumbled back into the liemight, much to their own surprise, over the past few years, and have even done impressive new songs.

I always found The Depressions rather weird. Did they all have eyepatches? Something like that. Fruit Eating Bears were definitely the worst I ever saw. The Rings pushed them fairly close.

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
Dodgy 'punk' bands???!!!
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2003, 08:26:22 PM »
I seen the carpettes , and they were OK ....  i think most bands who have the courage to play any gig cant be bad eh ? I seen a band called the Irritators once at Dundee backing the Damned and the Ruts , they were GREAT , i remember one song called   Let me out my coffin !!  :roll:
and they had this female on lead vocals who got her top off , and she was
LUVELY ( Ahem ..to me anyway , a youngster at that time ) .

TERRY and the IDIOTS have to be my favourite worst band EVER !
where are you TERRY ??
Bloody hell !

Offline hippie dave

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
mick
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2003, 11:41:27 PM »
Yes saw Carpettes,think they were on Beggars Banquet?,Depressions,some of their stuf was quite poppy,and sounded like the Jam,no only one had eyepatch,were on Barn Label,same as Slade.
What about John Ducann,ex Atomic Rooster,who did Dont be a dummy,for jeans advert,who was later in Dexys.Doll by Doll,Patrick Fitzgerald.Wreckless Eric.Fabulous Poodles-as an encore they did requests,and did puppy love.Also liked/like Fischer Z. HDDl
ippie dave aka dave damned in 1977-a raft of sanity floating in a sea of sh.t

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dodgy 'punk' bands???!!!
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2003, 01:26:39 PM »
You certainly bring back some memories to me Dave m8 ...
were some of those last bands you listed on STIFF records by any chance ? as i remember getting a Stiff box set , im sure the Damned were there , and maybe patrick fitzgerald ?  if not him then someone sounding very much like similar in name...also wreckless eric ?

Do you remember a band called Roogalator ? im sure they done a track called styrofoam ..it was terrable if i remember correctly  :roll:  
and a band called    Those intrinsic individuals from poland , they had a track called radio iceland ( 7" ) which was OK , not sure if they released any other records after that though
Bloody hell !

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    • Email
Dave and Jock
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2003, 01:33:44 PM »
I treasure an album

20 of Another Kind on Polydor

Pretty much for me the ultimate line up!

Any one else got it?

C5

PS NOT VOLUME 2- THAT WAS CACK!
If It isn't invented yet, It will be"

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dodgy 'punk' bands???!!!
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2003, 01:41:45 PM »
Sorry MRC5 i have never heard of that album , maybe dave would be your best bet to ask about that m8
Bloody hell !

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
20 of another kind
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2003, 03:31:04 PM »
Mr C 5, I don't own the album, but I think I read about it, does it include The Cure, The Damned, Adverts and others :?:
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline mickmercer

• New Discoverer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mickmercer.com
Dodgy 'punk' bands???!!!
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2003, 03:52:07 PM »
I recall Roogalator, all specs and kitsch carry-on, who I think did one of the early Stiff singles, back when they had some of the more interesting pubrock bands, like Plummet Airlines and The Yachts. I've just been writing up some old issues of my fanzines from 77 and come across a few old shockers. The Albertos, Snatch, Neo, The Milk, The Vacants, Dicks, Ignerents (North Anglia's main punks?), Johnny Curious & The Strangers, Bernie Torme.

It certainly brings back memories, and not all of them good.

The Drones were shite, weren't they?

Offline hippie dave

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
no
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2003, 04:26:15 PM »
nope-dont know that album,remember live at electric circus 10 in album.yeah jock-stiff box set,yachts,damned,roogalator,w.eric,adverts,lew lewis i think,there was a volume two but never had that.had a tshirt if it aint stiff it aint worth a f.ck.got a damned one from them,luminous paint,it was still wet when it arrived.didnt like drones alan,i loved em. hdd

Offline hippie dave

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
mick
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2003, 04:30:12 PM »
albertos y los trios paranois-heads down no nonsense boogie.anyone remember honey bane,ex fatal microbes,she was quite hot.What about the flys-love and a molatov cocktail.O ne i mentioned before-sore throat-zombie rock. hdd

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
More obscurer
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2003, 08:49:06 AM »
Anyone remember the Crabs (gig badges; 'I caught the crabs')? Shoes for Industry (on Fried Egg records)? Serious Drinking (wonderful band; 'the revolution starts at closing time')? Screen 3 (a little ernest, but nice brass sound)? Snuff (still turning out great records in the States)? Transmittors? Norfolk'n'Good (later became Splodge's backing band)? Needles?

One of the great things about punk, and what followed, were the 'one-hit wonders' which you really don't seem to get these days because of tyhe marketing support needed to get one-hit, and, of course, because singles make no money, these days its albums which can stretch the band with just one or two mighty songs within them

Alan

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    • Email
gemm.com
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2003, 12:10:22 PM »
Its available with more details on gemm.com

Promise you it a cracker-but not volume 2 or the best of

Boys, Patrik fitgerald, sham,slf, ADVERTS, jam,

However this post has taught me one thing though

I FEEL MY AGE SURROUNDED BY ALL YOU YOUNGSTERS

MR C CREPID!
If It isn't invented yet, It will be"

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
old and dodgy
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2003, 05:20:05 PM »
I recall Roogalator, all specs and kitsch carry-on, who I think did one of the early Stiff singles, back when they had some of the more interesting pubrock bands, like Plummet Airlines and The Yachts. I've just been writing up some old issues of my fanzines from 77 and come across a few old shockers. The Albertos, Snatch, Neo, The Milk, The Vacants, Dicks, Ignerents (North Anglia's main punks?), Johnny Curious & The Strangers, Bernie Torme.

sadly mick I not only remember some of these I actually saw a few!!!

i wont say which ones for fear of reprisal...Alan the crabs  - one of my early bands actually did a cover of 'join the army get yourself killed' by the crabs...i thought it was rather good but we were only about 14-15 at the time and the band was called....he he   'the uncalled four'....my friend actualy managed to put his top teeth through his bottom lip pogoing to us with a future member of 'the worms'...gosh the good old days???

i sound like hdd now  8O  - no offence hdd..i just dont remeber as much as you do!!

(13 and pissed syndrome)

fleags
I got some presents for you boo-boo