Author Topic: Goodbye Alan. You will be missed.  (Read 3504 times)

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Goodbye Alan. You will be missed.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 01:44:19 PM »
I've been away a few days and can't believe I'm reading this. I never knew Alan's surname so thought it had to be a different Alan- a phone call to Chris Claret confirmed it was my mate. 3 months ago we were enjoying bands, beer and curries at Rebellion, as we did every year, and now he's gone. I was looking forward to seeing him more often as I knew he was moving to Leeds.
One of the nicest blokes I've ever met. I'm in tears as I type this, gutted for his family, espcially Chris, a great lad too.
 :'(

Offline fleagle

• Cast Of Thousands
  • you will never know who you really are
    • MSN Messenger - info@stagefrite.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • stagefrite - keepin it live!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »
Anybody who may be attending today - please pass on our good wishes to the family.
Anybody who is not attending - please raise a glass today for this lovely man who will be sorely missed.

Fleagle
I got some presents for you boo-boo

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »
The latter, done.
Down like a stick...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »
Alan's daughter's version of "Roll Like a River":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUULQ0eKSUw

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »

Surfleet Crematorium, Lincolnshire

6 TUT's, Myself, Fred & Julie, Steve The Fish (& Mrs S.T,F.) & Kim (Grumpy In Black) represented the TUT's to say goodbye to Alan.

Alan entered the chapel to "The Lion & The Lamb"

The officiating minister then read the lyrics to "The Future Used To Be Better".

Paula had written a diary of Alan's life and among the words were tales of Rebellion, T.V. and the TUT's

We then sang "All Things Bright & Beautiful" before more tales from the diary.

"Roll Like A River" was then played.

After a short prayer at the commital, we exited to Far, Far Away by Slade.

There was a picture of Alan in a "Explorers" T-Shirt on his coffin.

A sad, sad day.

RIP Alan James Smith 25.09.1962 - 01.11.2016
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
Alan's son, and fellow TUT, Chris on drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2rfJYWV_U

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
Thanks for your report.
Many people did think about Alan on that day / this weekend.  :(

He's also mentioned in Mansunkid's blog:
http://konzerttagebuch.blogspot.de/2016/11/tv-smith-duesseldorf-pitcher-26112016.html
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:22 PM »
I was in Glasgow wih 999. I had a photo that Alan had taken of us at Rebellion Nick and Guy remebered him . Arturo already knew of his passing and described him as 'a lovely lovely man'. We raised more than a few glasses in his memory.

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
I'm really pleased to be able to let you all know that we collected just over £2000 for Alan Smith's chosen charities. What an amazing tribute to him, and everything he stood for. Half will be going to St Barnabas Hospice, whose nurses looked after him so well in his last few days at home. And the other half will be going to a charity which our family has supported for a few years, whose details can be seen below. Thank you all so much for your generosity, I cannot begin to tell you how much it means to us all. x

On Paula's FB page today.
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »
https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/charlottes-fundraising-page-162
Thank you so much for visiting my fundraising page, I really appreciate your support.

I lost my wonderful Dad, Alan Smith, to cancer in November 2016 and so I am running and raising money in his name.

Anything you can give will be so incredibly appreciated and will spur me on to train through the following months.
I will start with the Burghley House 10K Race for Life on the 4th June, then I will go on to do a 10 mile run (yet to be confirmed, but aiming for one of the Surrey Hills Sunset runs) and finally I will be running my first Half Marathon, the Great North Run on the 10th September.

(ONE THING: As an actor, it is a little tricky to fully confirm I will be able to do these exact events, so if I am unable to do one due to a job, I'll trade it for another)

Thank you again so much for your support!
Love,
Charlotte xox
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »
Well spotted Uli - many thanks for posting it.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
Well spotted Uli - many thanks for posting it.

Likewise.

Thanks, Uli.
Down like a stick...

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »
Ditto
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 10:17:01 PM »
Great to see that Charli's target has already been smashed:

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/charlottes-fundraising-page-162

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 12:18:35 AM »
It all still seems very unreal to me, but it is six months today since we lost Alan. Many of you knew him personally and know what a friendly, helpful, intelligent, charming and genuine person he was. I couldnít write much at the time of his passing, and I wonít write but a small fraction of what I could do now. I was keeping most of you that knew him best informed at the time, so you know how dramatically his health deteriorated and also how bravely he faced his situation.

Most of us knew Alan through his love of TVís music, myself included. I first met Alan on Friday 26th October 2001. How can I be so specific? It was also the first TV Smith gig I attended. I very nearly didnít go as I had very bad sunburn on my face Ė so bad I was getting even more funny looks than usual! Deciding to brave it was one of the very best decisions I ever made. I have many, many happy memories of my friendship with Alan. It began by attending many gigs with him. Often I could only attend them with his help due to the fact I couldnít drive and have severe arthritis. Nothing was too much trouble to Alan. I remember when I had an accident and had three limbs in plaster. He drove over to set up a new computer my wife had bought for me Ė but the shop had given her the wrong leads and all the shops were now closed. After almost a two-hour drive in each direction what else was there to do but roar with laughter and have a cuppa?! Not long afterwards he returned to take me to Mansfield to see Tim Ė on wheels (as the song says!).

I first heard that he was ill when his son, Chris - a fellow TUT - called to tell me he was in hospital and that the situation was uncertain. I was very pleased when Alan himself called the next day. What would he say? Tell me about the circumstances around his admission? What he was been treated for? His prognosis? Well, he did tell me about all of those things Ė but not before apologising profusely for being unable to attend TVís forthcoming gig in Nottingham with me! That was Alan all over.

Those of you lucky enough to have known him will smile when you remember his beaming smile of recognition whenever he saw a familiar face. He was exceptionally amiable and easily made new friends at gigs and events like Rebellion, often cementing them with his encyclopaedic knowledge of bands and recommendations of who to see to the uninitiated. Admittedly, his beloved 999 and TV Smith always got special plugs!

Iíll always genuinely treasure my friendship with Alan and my final meetings with him at the hospital in Leeds and at home two days before he passed away will stay with me forever. Typically of the man, even after his passing, heís still managing to do us all a power of good. Not only is Charli fundraising in his memory (see links above), but his fantastic YouTube channel is a font of entertainment for fans and exposure for the artists. If you havenít checked it out, itís here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bloater999

Iím just so, so sorry there wonít be any more clips from him.

Love to Paula, Chris, Charli and Alanís parents and sister. Miss you matey!