Author Topic: German punk..  (Read 400 times)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Great Explorer
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
German punk..
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
From the BBC, Music web-site today   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40447191
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: German punk..
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »
"German punk" - always a good one!  ;D

This here is even about East German punk (in the GDR), which I know even less about... Interesting article!  8)
Campino, lead singer of Die Toten Hosen, remembers how the band disguised themselves to get through border controls between West and East Berlin. "We had to comb our hair, get proper clothes on." He knew why the East German authorities would stop them if they recognised them. "Punk rock didn't officially exist in the East, they didn't want to spread the virus in any form."
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
A true story about 'Die Toten Hosen'.
They only ever recorded one session for John Peel in 1983.
They recorded it in German and it was full of extremely offensive language which Peel didn't realise at the time.
The BBC received an enormous number of complaints from German speaking listeners.
John Peel felt betrayed by the band and refused to play them ever again bar one song he played in 1995.

"The reason why there’s no Toten Hosen to be honest with you is they did a session for the programme and took advantage of the fact that I knew no German and recorded a couple of songs of breathtaking vulgarity that could have got us taken off the radio. So I kind of hardened my heart against Toten Hosen and I haven’t played any of their stuff since. I know it’s a bit childish, but to hell with them."
- John Peel (2001).

A couple of years ago I got hold of a vinyl EP with the session on it and put it up on YouTube.
Die Toten Hosen's management had it deleted and I got a 6 month ban from YouTube.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:25:37 AM by Rockula »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »
My, how very "punk" of their management!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 01:55:25 PM »
A couple of years ago I got hold of a vinyl EP with the session on it and put it up on YouTube.
Die Toten Hosen's management had it deleted and I got a 6 month ban from YouTube.

Question is: did they have it deleted it because of the copyright infringement (unless it was a "bootleg" EP anyway) or because of the trouble with the BBC (or because of the bad language)?  ???

Anyways, I could say a lot of things about DTH (e.g. that many "punks" in Germany view them as "commercial rock band"), but I won't. I'm not a big fan, but Vom was so nice when I met him last year (plus he did that interview for us a bit before) and DTH always supported their UK punk favourites (incl. TV & The Boys and many more). Which is why I want to listen to "Learning English Lesson 2" (my brother-in-law owns the new album, so I will listen soon)...  8)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:11:02 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »
I heard John Peel play both "No Time to be 21" (Non-Radio Edit) and "GLC" and they both contain the worst world in the world - Sh*t!

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »

Question is: did they have it deleted it because of the copyright infringement (unless it was a "bootleg" EP anyway) or because of the trouble with the BBC (or because of the bad language)?  ???

Copyright, JKP is pretty strickt with those things...
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 08:19:25 AM »
Copyright, JKP is pretty strict with those things...

Yep, I thought so.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
Talking of "german punk", one of the finest examples is the band "Fehlfarben". Here is an interview (sorry, German only) with Thomas Schneider, who plays guitar in their current line-up (and also performs with TVom! on a regular basis!):
https://www.gitarrebass.de/stories/thomas-schneider-von-fehlfarben-im-interview/
Die Bands, in denen ich zur Zeit aktiv bin, sind Fehlfarben, Cryssis, Skuyela, The Spoof und die Beatlesøns. Und manchmal kommt es vor, dass ich bei TV Smith mitspiele, den ich auch über Vom Ritchie kenne.