Author Topic: TV Gigs 2018  (Read 27891 times)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Cast Of Thousands
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TV Gigs 2018
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »
A cold Friday (-5), found your scribe in attendance at The Wild Rover along with fellow Tuts, Gabumon, Tiggy (ok, not an official Tut yet, still waiting to be able to login..KLAUS...) & Andreus.  33 songs over a almost 2hour set.  Xmas Bloody Xmas saw our man don a Santa hat. thrown from the crowd (ok me!!!) While my own hat flashed Ho Ho Ho.... Crowd of around 120, very tightly packed.. 1 bit of crowd-surfing.. (no not me).  Back on the Eurostar as I write this.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:14:30 AM by EastKentTaff »
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
Hey, thanks for the Eurostar review!  :D
Setlist already in, well done! "Man Down" was played, haven't heard that in a loong time.

You should've taken a train to Metzingen today, probably even colder there!  :o
Guess I will leave during Rummelsnuff's set (just like I did 3 years ago at the same place), they're okay and quite a laugh, but to me this music just doesn't fit after TV...

Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »
Headline of the day:
Forum Moderator told lies
Mod, shortly before opposition asks him to retreat:
"Ok, I was wrong when I said Metzingen would be colder than Aachen - my car showed only -3.5 Celsius. Back home it was -5, just like the day before in Aachen."

Stats:
- last gig of the German touring in 2018
- gig #58 for me, at the same place I experienced #50
- usual suspects were there (TV, Sally, Ilove & Wolfgang, Meike & more)
- 2 small beers were consumed
- no setlist was written down, hope TV delivers it to EKT
- songs played which I heard too often: none
- songs played I heard live very often, but still enjoy: many, incl. GGE, BT, OCW, Gen Y, Imm Rich...
- many new songs from the new album were in the set
- audience: club was pretty full, very noisy
- stage: quite huge, lightshow bigger than usual for TV standards
- other band: Rummelsnuff, quite funny, but I left after a few songs

More maybe later...
Edit:
Ok, here we go with a review: before I start off, I read that "doors open" would be at 8pm, thus "no hurry". There's a little detour I have to drive on the way down to Metzingen (only 30mins drive away - thus one of the closest gigs to home, along with Ulm and Geislingen), but it doesn't bother me at all.
I park the car a bit away from the building (as the parking lot seems full already from afar) and walk the last bit in the cold (not as cold as expected though), then up these high stairs - the "Club Thing" is upstairs in a building which looks like an electricity transformation station or something like that, on the outskirts of town.
Entry is only 12 Euro, very fair price. Inside I immediately see Ilona and Wolfgang and Meike (her brother a.o. are also there, but I don't get to say "hi"), thus the "usual suspects" are already in.  ;D
They tell me that TV asked where I was, so I go over to Sally and him to say hello and we chat a bit about all kinds of stuff (Sally liked some of my photos on FB! - which was nice to hear)... this is a nice start to a great night, always good to meet the fellow TUTS.

TV gets ready for his gig, we move closer to the stage in the back room, it's pretty full already, a bit smokey (not really used to this any more, due to anti-smoking laws many clubs are smoke-free these days) and the audience is quite noisey.
Once again, TV plays an energetic show with his usual footstamps and kicks, all that at the end of a looong German tour in 2018 - he is still full of enthusiam and energy. The setlist includes most of the "standards" I heard at the other shows earlier this year plus many new songs, no "big surprises" (but never mind, I enjoy them all)! I take "The Drink" as a hint to go buy me another beer (only 2,50).  ;)
TV tells us how both his mum and Die Toten Hosen are "fans" of his song "The day we caught the big fish".
I like how he follows "No Hope Street" with a glimmer of hope in "Last Lost Sheep" (a very touching song, for me at least)!  :)

There are some "punks" down the front of the stage, at times they try to do some "moshing" (not easy at an "acoustic" gig). In general, there are some faces I think I've seen before at other shows (maybe in nearby Stuttgart). Audience is quite noisey, but the PA is strong and loud enough. TV even gets something you can call a "light show" in this club!  8)
A big cheer goes up at the end of OCW, so of course he has to play an encore.

Afterwards, we chat a bit at the merch desk (which is quite busy, incl. people getting their t-shirts signed).
Then Rummelsnuff are on (it is what you could call "a double headliner bill" tonight), I listen to about 3-4 songs. They are quite funny, although not exactly my cup of tea (especially after a TV gig). Imagine "Rammstein on acid with a disco beat", their songs are sometimes a bit "sea shanty"-like and one other reminds me of a Russian chant or something like that... (look them up on youtube if you dare)!  ;D
Then I say "good-bye" to Sally and TV, hope to see them again next year.
It's still cold outside, but it hasn't snowed (yet) and I enjoy the clear air after the smoke-filled club.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:04:20 PM by Uli »

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
Glad you had a good night Uli - UNLESS that too was a lie?!
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
Glad you had a good night Uli - UNLESS that too was a lie?!

Let me think...
"it was not nice to meet the TUTS, it was not nice to chat to Sally and TV
the gig was not enjoyable, I did not feel uplifted by this music
Last lost sheep is not a very touching song for me"

If you leave out the word "not" it's not a lie!  :D

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2018, 11:47:41 PM »
You should have been a lawyer!

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
You should have been a lawyer!

I am, or wish I was... or could that be a lie, too?  :P

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2018, 08:40:10 PM »
 ???

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
A nice way to bring my 2018 gigs to a close at The Star & Garter, a pub which always looks like it's closed down from the outside (and the inside too) and you have to wonder who would go there if there was no band on. Luckily there were lots of people there for TV on Saturday with lots of singing along and a really good atmosphere which made up for City's poor performance against Palace. I had to leave the game early to get a taxi to the venue in time for the excellent Eastfield. Jessi Eastfield reported that all the trains were running on time- not TV's though! I was getting worried but he and Sally appeared about an hour before he was due on stage after a 7 hour journey. Fire Exit and Spunk Volcano very enjoyable too and good to catch up with Alan again.

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
Yeah, good to catch up with you too Gareth.
Due to work, I missed the first two bands and arrived part-way through Spunk Volcano's set. The seven hour journey (and early start/finish) didn't stop TV delivering a blistering set:

Only One Flavour
No Time To Be 21
No Control
We Stand Alone
Green Zone
Tomahawk Cruise
Lion & The Lamb
Replay
I Delete
Expensive Being Poor
Immortal Rich
Great British Mistake
No Hope Street
Last Lost Sheep
Xmas Bloody Xmas
My String Will Snap
Land of The Overdose
Gary Gilmore's Eyes
Bored Teenagers
One Chord Wonders

The new songs fitted seamlessly amongst the older tunes and were well received by the crowd.

Did you get home in time for last orders Gareth?

Offline EastKentTaff

• Cast Of Thousands
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: December 25, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »
Thanks for the set list, updated on site from a warm Gibraltar....
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2018, 01:31:25 AM »

Did you get home in time for last orders Gareth?
Yes- but wished I hadn't. There was a fucking karaoke on!