Author Topic: Rat Scabies solo album PHD  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Rat Scabies solo album PHD
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:48:11 AM »
Finally a "PHD" for Rat Scabies:

Vinyl (18 May 2018)
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Cleopatra Records
ASIN: B07BF39R7Z
Other Editions: Audio CD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/P-H-D-Prison-Hospital-Debt-VINYL/dp/B07BF39R7Z/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=rat%20scabies&qid=1522483504&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=1-1

Nice pic, eh?
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: Rat Scabies solo album PHD
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
Link to pre-order the CD works but link to pre-order the vinyl does not.

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:35:31 PM »
Good title, but what experience does he have of any/all three of these aspects please?
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:28:49 AM »
Good title, but what experience does he have of any/all three of these aspects please?

None whatsoever, of course.  ;D

(Tbh, I thought it might be the title of his autobiography...)

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:46 AM »
Looks like Rat's mate Robbie Allen is on it (met him in France years ago).  8)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »
You can't beat a bit glam-punk slide guitar - just wish the drums were higher in the mix!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
I've ordered the album but, unless they are different recordings or remixed, these tracks are the same ones Rat made available through his own website as downloads in 2016.

I'd like to see official releases for the (at least) 20 albums worth of other recordings. ;)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
I've ordered the album but, unless they are different recordings or remixed, these tracks are the same ones Rat made available through his own website as downloads in 2016.

Was this 2016?  :o I thought it was 2017... (edit: yes it was in January when I got them.)

Anyway, on his website he claims they were "demos":
Featuring material the demos of which were available right here on ratscabies.com Ė had you been lucky enough to have been in the loop back in the sites infancy

However I got to admit that "Chew on you" now sounds pretty much the same to me as the "demo".  ;D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »
http://www.fighting-boredom.co.uk/interview/rat-scabies-interview/
I was surprised by the variety of music on the record, the lack of vocals across some of it and that one track doesnít even have drumming. I assumed that the track without drums was the cigar box guitar?

Oh the Cigar Box guitar is all over the album. Thereís no getting away from it. Thereís something about that instrument that changes everything about the way you perceive music to be constructed and where you perceive it to be valuable. Itís a very weird thing, because when I made the first one I only did it really because my son came home from work and gave me a cigar box. I had a piece of wood and three tuning keys and I remembered the story that was what poor people used to do in America, and that was kind of the birth of a lot of the slide in blues guitar styles. I thought well thatís kind of really interesting. So I looked at this box for a few days and then worked out how you do could do it, put strings on it and everything and make it work as an instrument. Then the realisations that came along with that were really quite phenomenal, because you lose everything that we regard as being technically proficient. In terms of, you donít have tuning, you donít have a piano to tune to or anything else that does it. So actually what you do is you just tighten the strings up until they sound good. And when you play an instrument like that with this kind of slide thing itís so much more of a cerebral kind of experience because you have to listen to what youíre playing. Itís not like a guitar with frets where you know where the notes are. Itís something like a saxophone where youíll know where the notes are, but you have to get to them. It sounds a bit artsy fartsy really, but actually, you have to have a different kind of consciousness to play an instrument like that because you have to be more aware of whatís going on around you. Which is all kinds of performing. To forget about what youíre doing and only focus on whatís going on around you.

I ask if the albumís title, ĎPHD (Prison, Hospital, Debt), is autobiographical.

Yes. Firstly I liked it because itís funny. Because Rat Scabies is probably the last person that would have one of those. In fact that or an MBE or uttering the words ĎGuilty your Honourí you know none of those apply. But those are the things going on in my life. Life isnít about what we have and what we plan. Itís about what happens around us, and those were the things that were going on around me. Music was actually the only escape I had. Where everything else was so maudlin that to be able to play a guitar and feel good about creating a piece of music, doing something or making a sound that was kind of inspirational really. Without sounding too depressing about it. It was cheap medicine.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:20:00 AM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 07:57:42 AM »
https://essentiallypop.com/epop/2018/05/doctor-beat-punk-icon-rat-scabies-on-the-damned-drumming-and-his-indulgent-debut-solo-album-phd/
Is it all new material or stuff youíd worked on over many years?

Some of it is recent, as recent until right up until we cut the album. The track Benniís Song literally only got finished in the same week that the album came out. Some of the other stuff is a couple of years old and then thereís a couple of things that go back to the late Ď80s-Ď90s Ė when the band wasnít particularly functioning well, or wasnít doing anything Ė thereís a couple of things from that time I felt shouldíve seen the light of day and now they have.

http://louderthanwar.com/rat-scabies-p-h-d-prison-hospital-debt-album-review/
I donít know why it should be, but it is a surprisingly good album. Varied, funny, rockiní, jazzy, psychedelic and laid-back. Every song is different, you just donít know whatís coming next.  And itís all shot thru with Ratís personality and down-to-earth humour.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure 'My Wrists Hurt' with Dave Grunfeld on keyboards goes back a bit further than that. Like about 1979......

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »
Why do you think that? Wasn't Grunfeld joining the Damned for the tour in 1995?