Author Topic: Setlists  (Read 28855 times)

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Setlists
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2020, 02:47:19 PM »
Whilst on furlough, I've been going through some old punk stuff and found a review for The Adverts in an early punk fanzine. It contradicts the Archives as it's the same date (01/04/77) as Nottingham University. The date for this venue, seems to be right - Nags Head High Wycombe:
http://www.wycombegigs.co.uk/1-april-1977-advertsrats-nags-head/
The punk gigs here appear to have been put on by Ron Watts (100 Club).
This was also probably The Adverts' first gig outside London although the link above does raise the possibility that they supported Wayne County at an earlier date here.
"The set-list includes: ‘One Chord Wonders’, ‘New Boys’, ‘Quick Step’, ‘On the Roof’, ‘New Day Dawning’, ‘We Who Wait’, ‘Bored Teenagers’, ‘Gary Gilmore’s Eyes’, ‘Bombsite Boy’ and ‘Great British Mistake’." This is taken from the fanzine review.
So I guess the Nottingham University gig date is wrong - possibly confused with the later appearance in June?
There's also an interview with TV in the fanzine that says that the above gig was their 12th or 15th show which does fit this timeline. He also mentioned the "One Chord Wonders" single which hadn't been then been released but I'll stick this info on TV Songs.

Offline EastKentTaff

• Cast Of Thousands
  • F..k me, Wales have qualified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2020, 10:54:23 AM »
Cheers Alan for that info.

I have altered "Nottingham" to H.W. and added the set-list as it was missing for that date.  I see that the June gig for Nottingham was actually missing a date, so that all seems to be tidy now.    I wonder where the "April" date for Nottingham came from..  Unless we can actually have proof that it existed then will stick with H.W. as you have actual confirmation.  Oh what fun a hazy past can be.

Trust you are well and hope we get to meet up for a lemonade very soon.
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2020, 04:35:56 PM »
I think that "lemonade" might be a bit flat by the time Boris says that we can play out again.
Looking back, the original date for Nottingham does seem a bit early for an "out of town" gig where as High Wycombe is a bit closer to London. I'm not too sure that the 1st is the correct date though. I've got a recording of the Damned at Nottingham U. and that's dated the 24th of May (although my recording of The Adverts is just dated June) which would fill a different gap in the gig list! Nottingham isn't on the original list for the tour with The Damned but there were that many that were cancelled/added that this date could be right. I've tried to check on The Damned White Rabbit site but for some reason, can't get into 1977! Any Damned fans on the forum with a definitive answer?

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »
I've tried to check on The Damned White Rabbit site but for some reason, can't get into 1977!

Richard 'White Rabbit' Smith has stopped access to his fantastic site 'cause people were taking the information in bulk and reposting it on other sites as their own work and with no credit to him. It's taken him years to build it up.
 I could message him on Facebook if you have a specific question.

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2020, 07:17:10 PM »
I could message him on Facebook if you have a specific question.

If you would, that would be great!
I'm assuming that The Adverts gig at Nottingham University was part of the tour with The Damned so if he could confirm The Damned date (and even better if he knows that The Adverts were on as well) then that would give us the right date for the gig list.

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2020, 09:02:18 PM »
Mr. Rabbit cannot offer definitive information but does say...

''Tuesday 24 May 1977 - Nottingham University, England, UK The Damned played. I have no info confirmed as support. However, The Adverts definitely played all other dates on this tour and it would be HIGHLY unlikely that it wasn't them.''

However, Setlist.fm (the setlist wiki) has The Adverts playing Nottingham University on the 12th May a whole 12 days earlier.

So, there you go....clear as mud. :)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2020, 09:11:03 PM »
Richard added...

''Anyway, all this means that unfortunately I have nothing to definitely confirm Damned and Adverts dates for Nottingham. One thing that could give a hint - I think the Nottingham Damned one was recorded for Nottingham radio broadcast. Could be that The Adverts were also recorded. Maybe an angle to approach from... ''

Offline Alan Grundy

• Bored Teenager
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2020, 11:02:48 PM »
Ever get the feeling that you wished you'd never started something!
I've had a look on Setlist.fm and the set list for the (new, new) Nottingham University gig is the same as the setlist already on the gig list so this looks as though it's the same one. Both the Adverts & The Damned played at the Porterhouse in Nottinghamshire on the 13th of May - this one did happen as there was a review of the gig in Sounds the week after. There's no listing for The Damned on Setlist.fm for the 12th May so would The Adverts have played there on their own? Alternatively, there was a Nottingham Punk Festival in May '77 but the only thing that I can find out about this is that ATV played their first gig there. Was this at Nottingham University? If so, wouldn't The Damned have played as they were in the area?
Richard added...

''Anyway, all this means that unfortunately I have nothing to definitely confirm Damned and Adverts dates for Nottingham. One thing that could give a hint - I think the Nottingham Damned one was recorded for Nottingham radio broadcast. Could be that The Adverts were also recorded. Maybe an angle to approach from... ''
I'd have to check the Nottingham University recordings to try to see if they sound like radio broadcasts though mine are probably so many generations away that it'll be hard to tell. To make matters even worse, there's was an Adverts recording a couple of years back that was supposedly Nottingham September 1977!
I don't think that we'll ever get to the bottom of this unless we send Fred out to interview half of Nottingham!
Rockula and I have given you as much info as possible so it's over to you Phil for the casting vote on this one!

Offline EastKentTaff

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2020, 11:12:42 AM »
Ever get the feeling that you wished you'd never started something!
I've had a look on Setlist.fm and the set list for the (new, new) Nottingham University gig is the same as the setlist already on the gig list so this looks as though it's the same one. Both the Adverts & The Damned played at the Porterhouse in Nottinghamshire on the 13th of May - this one did happen as there was a review of the gig in Sounds the week after. There's no listing for The Damned on Setlist.fm for the 12th May so would The Adverts have played there on their own? Alternatively, there was a Nottingham Punk Festival in May '77 but the only thing that I can find out about this is that ATV played their first gig there. Was this at Nottingham University? If so, wouldn't The Damned have played as they were in the area?
Richard added...

I'd have to check the Nottingham University recordings to try to see if they sound like radio broadcasts though mine are probably so many generations away that it'll be hard to tell. To make matters even worse, there's was an Adverts recording a couple of years back that was supposedly Nottingham September 1977!
I don't think that we'll ever get to the bottom of this unless we send Fred out to interview half of Nottingham!
Rockula and I have given you as much info as possible so it's over to you Phil for the casting vote on this one!

I know what you mean about starting things...  If it wasn't for that York "falling down water" I would not have started on the setlist extracts..  but hey ho(lets go!).

Casting vote by me then is that we leave it as is.  I have 1 more setlist added, which only leaves 399 from the gigs published missing.  It is not going to change the world if the dates are wrong, its only a vessel for us trying to be completeists.   Lets move on and hope that we can add some new dates and set-lists from 2021 onwards.

Thanks to Ken for contacting Rabbit.
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2020, 03:11:24 PM »
I'm still shielding, so can't ask half of Nottingham I'm afraid. However, I did shout across the road to ask an elderly neighbour if she'd ever seen The Adverts and she said "No, that's when I go and put the kettle on".

I fear my city-wide interrogation may be a protracted affair at this rate...
TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

Offline EastKentTaff

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
I'm still shielding, so can't ask half of Nottingham I'm afraid. However, I did shout across the road to ask an elderly neighbour if she'd ever seen The Adverts and she said "No, that's when I go and put the kettle on".

I fear my city-wide interrogation may be a protracted affair at this rate...

I see the tablets are working then Fred....  :)
Phil Nicholson
Whitstable