Author Topic: Vom Ritchie thread  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Gabumon

• Cast Of Thousands
    • ICQ Messenger - 131442393
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gabumon18
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vom Ritchie thread
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 10:13:05 AM »
As i think its way more easy to produce and release music today as like in the middle of the 80s

I mean, meanwhile you can record and mix it at home and dont have to Spend like 500.000 Euro for equipment anymore. You dont need a big Record Company who will tell what you have to do. I know from some bands that the management is the Boss for everything, even for what they gonna Play live...

the biggest Problem is to get People to buy (or Stream) your stuff
Welcome to the Chelsea Girl Store!

:D

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »
As i think its way more easy to produce and release music today as like in the middle of the 80s

the biggest Problem is to get People to buy (or Stream) your stuff

Yeah, you can easily record and (self-)release stuff, but no-one's gonna buy it.
Of course nowadays in theory you can record in your living room on a computer - but when I think of some studio recordings, if it's well produced and all that, you can hear (or "feel") that room when you listen to it.
Compare that to a cd a band burned from their rehearsal room recording and you'll know what I mean...  ;)

Edit: plus we need to consider Vom talked from the (small) record company side here. He has to pay for vinyl to be pressed, do promotion/advertising and in the end the costs won't always be covered by sales.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:04:04 AM by Uli »
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »
Soon in German cinemas, DTH "Weil du nur einmal lebst" - a documentary about their touring(s).
http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/news/kultur-und-medien/ueberregional/Die-Toten-Hosen-kommen-ins-Kino-article4072068.html

Apparently Vom didn't enjoy the relentless rehearsing:
Es geht um die teils akribische „deutsche“ Vorbereitung, die den britischen Schlagzeuger Vom in den Wahnsinn treibt (Bassist Andi: „Weil wir eben nicht die totalen musikalischen Koryphäen sind, müssen wir das über erhöhtes Training ausgleichen“).

Offline Fred21

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
"It's about the sometimes meticulous "German" preparation, which drives the British drummer Vom crazy (bassist Andi: "Because we are not the total musical luminaries, we have to compensate for this through increased training")."
TV SM!TH - for the beer and the company! (AND great songs too!)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »
I watched the DTH film at an old-fashioned cinema (cheap: only 7-8 euro incl. a drink)... it was enjoyable (I'm not the biggest fand and don't own many albums - last I saw them was a club gig in '92). Good to see & hear Vom talking a bit. You get to see (parts of) songs from different shows during their tour, you get to see a bit behind the scenes (backstage, tour bus) and get to know some people you don't normally see (tour manager, security, stage hands).

There is footage of the gig at SO 36 in Berlin, but nothing to see of TV (would've been good to show a bit of GGE - as a nod to DTH's influences; in my humble etc.). However TV gets a mention when they visit a club called "Sedel" in Switzerland, where Vom spots an old poster on a wall (TV feat. Vom Ritchie)! Also, "Pushed Again" is in the movie.  8)

The strange thing is when you get to see someone you know on a huge cinema screen. DTH visit their fan's birthday party in Argentina - turns it out it's Mariano Asch, who I'd met back in late '99 in London (he was at my first TV gig and also at a Damned gig the next day, where I chatted to him - funny thing was: I knew his name from Damned zine NDN!).  :o