Author Topic: CROSSING THE RED SEA ( LP1978 )  (Read 14843 times)

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    • Email
CROSSING THE RED SEA ( LP1978 )
« on: May 15, 2003, 11:15:07 AM »
I really feel sorry for kids today- no bear with me I really do.
When I was a kid (thank you tj I can remember that long ago :wink: ) music was exciting, passionate and above all real- music for the heart played from the heart.
Unlike today- manufactured, glossy and produced for the teen market- artists and producers without principles or passion.

It wasnt always that way for me as a kid.
It wasn't but I do remember the day that my life changed forever.
Oh yes it was one of life's defining moments.
It was the day I caught the big fish............the day I bought

CROSSING THE RED SEA WITH THE ADVERTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had missed the first single "One Chord wonders" and I first became aware of the Band at the release of "Gary Gilmores Eyes" and you have to realise looking back how controversial this single was.
Singing about a mass murderer?
But wasn't it commercial? What a tune, what a hook, and what a performance!
(oh and what a babe- sorry TV I was only 15 at the time).

Gary Gilmore really opened my eyes!!!!
Here was a new music, a new ideal and a new energy that as a bored teenager I could relate to.
And anybody could do it- cue guitar lessons, amp, fuzz box and a loud racket coming from my room.
I am sure that over the years punk inspired more bands/musicians than any other music style.
Music by the people for the people!

That was it-I was hooked. Finally here was a music style that I felt part of-I belonged.

"Safety in Numbers" followed not particularly successfully after Gary Gilmore but the turn of the year 1978 saw "No time to be 21" hit the charts and begin to build up the momentum for the album that was to follow.

And then the album was upon us!

I very quickly came to terms with the fact that Gary Gilmore wasn't on the original album (still seems a strange decision to me) and

WOW!

If the singles had been the appetisers, the album was the real deal.
Never in my short life had a collection of songs blown me away in the way this album did.
Power, Passion, Pace

AND SONGS ABOUT REAL LIFE, ABOUT ME, ABOUT TANGIBLE ISSUES THAT I COULD RELATE TO

The rest as they say is history!

We all have our favourites. I still love "New Church", "Bombsite Boy", "No time to be 21" , "Safety in Numbers" and of course the greatest moment of the album.......

"THE GREAT BRITISH MISTAKE"

To sum up the album it is of course a timeless classic that will be around well after punk, trance, rave and the rest are forgotten.

But for me it was a signpost in my life

My life was taking a new road- it was gonna be one hell of a ride!

I leave the last words to Dave Thompson

"The Adverts weren't simply crossing the Red Sea. They were parting it"

C5
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:00:34 PM by Tj »
If It isn't invented yet, It will be"

Offline Alan

• The Newshound
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: CROSSING THE RED SEA (LP1978)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 06:52:39 PM »
I agree MRC5, BUT its not all doom and gloom - there's the White Stripes, who really are very impressive, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, the Eels (new album due very soon), the Vines, AND of course there's the classic acts still producing new great music such as TV, the Dickies (Puppet Stew was special), the Buzzcocks, the Damned et al

Mind you looking back at what I've written above I notice all the new acts are American (+ one Aussie) and it is a little sad that there aren't so many new British or maybe European acts coming up....

Alan

Offline Kaenga

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.beepworld.de/members59/chaos-kaenga/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 10:18:29 AM »
I agree wit you MRC 5
and also the music  was rebellious :-)

So know the Kids more often listen to old stuff, i find it good so it still keep`s it a live.
We have her some new good acts but not many, most of it is Fastfood like.

Kaenga
------------------------------------------------------
Music is security.
Music is my life , helps me to survive.

Wo ich bin herrscht das Chaos doch zum Glück bin ich nicht überall!!!

Class of 79

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 11:08:19 AM »
I agree with you totally MRC5.  
The only differance was it changed for me just a bit before Crossing the Red Sea, I remember listening to a Sunday night show on Radio Luxembourg called 'Street Heat', the reception was awful on my trannie, but new bands were being played and the one that influenced me most was Sham 69.  Jimmy Pursey was interviewed a few times on the show, he and his music impressed me and I bought the 'Tell Us The Truth' album.  That single purchase has changed and influenced every piece of music I have ever bought and/or liked ever since, including my liking for The Adverts.
Nice post MRC5.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 10:09:15 AM »
Wow 8O Wise words C5, you really are becoming a total professional at these C5 album stories. :D

Careful about saying that THe Adverts changed your life though C5. You'll have Uli on your back - quick as a flash! :wink:

8)

That was the 9700th TVF Post TUTS :D
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 10:26:37 AM »
I agree that leaving Eyes off the album was a commercial mistake C 5.

Mind you TV is sometimes accidentally uncommercial - like placing the hit follow up single to Eyes on the b side. It's pretty much accepted that a quick release of Bored Teenagers would have been a smash. Instead TV choose to question the 'new wave' and it's mindless band wagon jumpers with the excellent, but unappreciated Safety In Numbers.

The biggest mistake though was releasing what would have been one of the best albums of '77 (THE year of punk) in 1978. The Adverts had simply misssed the moment.

For me The Averts were all about the awesome Peel sessions, the first three singles and their incredible live shows. :D  :D  :D

In 1978 Red Sea farted in the waves :o  In 1977 it would indeed have parted them.  :D  

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 10:27:08 AM »
I agree that leaving Eyes off the album was a commercial mistake C 5.[/color]

Mind you TV is sometimes accidentally uncommercial  :arrow: Like placing the hit follow up single to Eyes on the b side. It's pretty much accepted that a quick release of Bored Teenagers would have been a smash. Instead TV chosed to question the 'new wave' and it's mindless band wagon jumpers with the excellent, but unappreciated Safety In Numbers.

The biggest mistake though was releasing what would have been one of the best albums of '77 (THE year of punk) in 1978. The Adverts had simply misssed the moment.

For me The Adverts were all about the awesome Peel sessions, the first three singles and their incredible live shows. :D  :D  :D

In 1978 Red Sea farted in the waves :o  In 1977 it would indeed have parted them.  :D  

8)

Tj Sundown

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 07:39:30 AM »
Posted onto Amazon today
Hope the b'''''ds put it up

C5

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 09:26:47 AM »
And just to tie things up...

Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts

Energetic, anthemic, literate; punk rock perfection.

The Adverts took every possible punk cliché – rudimentary chords, sneering vocals, strict on-beats, the politics of boredom – and twisted the lot into something that manages both to encapsulate and transcend its era.

Much of that had to do with TV Smith’s magnificent melodies and yet, like ray Davies’ work, infused with nuances that ripen wonderfully with age. Four of the songs, including the biggie Gary Gilmore’s Eyes (included on the Ultimate version), were singles. But everything here, from One Chord Wonders to the relentless, desperate finale of Great British Mistake, is perfectly formed, ’77-era punk rock.

Mark Paytress MOJO Spring PUNK Special 2005

Tj Sundown

Offline C5

• Republican
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 09:01:59 AM »
ACROSS THE SANDS OF TIME

YOU CAN FORGET HOW GOOD

THIS ALBUM IS/WAS/ ALWAYS WILL BE

FAN DABY DOZZY

C5

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 11:58:08 AM »
Good idea, Mr C5, wil do so :!:  :D
Just around the corner and miles away...

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »
Crossing the Red Sea With the Adverts.
I genuinely believe that this is the best punk album ever. When I saw the Adverts live they made a big & lasting impression on me. When I first played the album it transported me back to that gig. Everytime I play it it still has that power. I do not know of any other record that has that effect on me. It sends a tingle down my spine. The album is timeless. It stands apart from every other record of that era. TV's lyrics are flavoured with the nihilism of the time, but there is also hope & humanity that lifts the songwriting into a different sphere & the music complements the words perfectly.
I am not very good with words. Words cannot adequately describe a feeling, but the music on this record & on all of TV's albums have enriched my life. I am glad that TV Smith is around & still making music. Thank you. :)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
Wonderful words Nick. 8)

At the time I preferred The Clash first album.

Now when you compare the two it is The Adverts that have transcended time.

All we need know is a Best of The Adverts tour with a powerhouse new backing band.

...I think that's what I'll wish for on February 14th. ;o)

Tj Sundown

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »
Our wish has come true Tj. I will be at the Joiners in Southampton. Looking forward to it. :)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
Thank YOU Nick for this great write-up about this album!!  8)
Just around the corner and miles away...