TUTS > World Chat

The Cure

(1/14) > >>

Uli:
The Cure's new album is now 'pencilled in' for October 13.

4 singles will be out before the album's release. Three already been released May, June and July (The Only One, Freakshow and Sleep When I'm Dead). Apparently they sell quite well in the US, despite nearly no radio play at all...

This was posted by Robert Smith on The Cure's official site:

--- Quote ---SO WE NOW HAVE THREE SINGLES IN THE USA BILLBOARD TOP 10...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Singles&f=Hot+Singles+Sales

AND NOT A WHISPER ANYWHERE...

(AND IN CASE ANYONE WAS WONDERING... TOTAL 'SWID' USA RADIO PLAYS TO DATE?

54! YAY! WE SATURATED! ETC ETC... )

YES...
ONWARDS INDEED!
RSX
--- End quote ---

Next single "The Perfect Boy" due out next week. You can listen to a brief preview here:
http://www.thecure.com/

Uli:
Album out soon!

--- Quote ---4:13 Dream release dates:
Oct. 24th - Italy, Germany.
Oct. 25th - Australia.
Oct. 27th - Europe, Mexico.
Oct. 28th - North America.
Nov. 5th - Japan.
--- End quote ---

Here's a song-by-song review:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003874087

Rockula:
There's also a 5 track 'remix' CD of those four singles although Robert Smith has gone on record as saying you shouldn't buy it on iTunes as the price they're asking on there (about 8) is extortionate for an E.P.
 I picked up a 'used' copy for 2 from Amazon.

Uli:
Uh yeah, "Hypnogogic States" EP, I forgot to mention that one. I'm not a big fan of remixes, but it's quite okay. (Also, the artist's royalties go to the Red Cross, as far as I know.) And yes, there was some f***-up at iTunes, no idea if they ever fixed that then...

Uli:
So I'll try a little review of the new album after a few listens.
The first few times my impression of some songs was a bit 'average'. But meanwhile I gotta say I like most of them. As I already knew the 4 singles, of course these 4 tracks were no surprise. (I didn't really enjoy "Freakshow" when I heard it live in February, and didn't like the single much at first, but after a few listens I came to like the 'funky' guitar by Porl Thompson and really enjoyed the guitar solo, reminiscent of Jimi Hendrix a little bit!)
My faves are "Underneath The Stars" (typical atmospheric Cure track), "This. Here And Now. With You" (makes me think of a special person) and "The Hungry Ghost" (which seems to have a similar topic as older Cure songs like "Want" and "Never Enough").
Many people described the production as "lacking" or "under-produced" or whatever. At some points I do agree. The drums on "Underneath The Stars" sound like directly from the rehearsal room, a bit loud for such a romantic song (but I got used to it) and I don't really like the 'echo' effect on the vocals.
There's some 'pop songs' (e.g. Siren Song) and some rocking stuff (like the hectic, energetic last track "It's Over"). There's a long screeeeeaaaam on, erm, "The Scream".
All in all, this is not the perfect Cure album (a good reason to make another one, eh?). But I like it.
Apparently 33 songs were recorded, it was considered at first to make it a double album, now there's talk of another album (a "dark companion") to be released in 2009. I wouldn't place bets on it, let's just wait and see.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version