Author Topic: We Who Wait: TV on the TV \o/  (Read 92781 times)

Offline FredNoTimeToBe2021

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: We Who Wait: TV on the TV \o/
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »
Wow! 51 guests online - guess that's to do with this show! Welcome to TV's forum, you are very welcome!
TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »
Wow! Wanted to go for a leak for 40 minutes of We Who Wait, but just had to wait!!!!

Ace job Jamie (and Teev). I loved it on so many levels. Biggest shocks were The Drowning Men from The Old Grey Whistle Test and the interview with Laurie.

On a personal level thanks for the TJ Downes mention in the credits Jamie.

Tj

I'll leave you with the words of who C5 called The Great Man today "We Can Do Anything!".
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
TV 'STAR'.

Well done Jamie. An excellent overview. Well filmed and fantastically edited (although I'd still like to see that longer cut). Nice to hear a bit of 'Sleaze' if only for a couple of seconds. Great that you managed to get interviews with 'nearly' every important player in the TV story and that everyone was talking honestly. Also, loved the interspersed clips from old movies and all the rare live footage.

I really think this film deserves to be given a release on DVD, maybe in conjunction with a new TV CD collection that covers his whole career. But I know these things take a lot of money so you'll have to wait 'til I win the lottery and put up the cash. ;D

Hopefully it'll encourage a few re and new discoverers, eh?

As to the rest of the evening; A great night with a lot of stuff we've seen before but a few suprises. I was, at first, disappointed to see they'd replaced TOTP '77 with TOTP '76 but it actually made sense considereing the content. Maybe TOTP '77 will be on next week with 'Punk Britannia Pt. 2'. Looking forward to the next couple of Friday nights.

And TV....seeya in Ipswich matey.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2012, 10:07:35 AM »
Well done Jamie. An excellent overview. Well filmed and fantastically edited (although I'd still like to see that longer cut). Nice to hear a bit of 'Sleaze' if only for a couple of seconds. Great that you managed to get interviews with 'nearly' every important player in the TV story and that everyone was talking honestly. Also, loved the interspersed clips from old movies and all the rare live footage.

This sounds great and I'm really looking forward to be able to watch it!
Hopefully recording it worked at least for one of the TUTS?

Scheiße, ich kann gar nichts sehen. :(

Konntest Du bis vorgestern BBC4 empfangen oder wieso hast Du erwartet etwas zu sehen?  ;)
Es war auch vorher schon klar, dass wir hier das nicht sehen können, auch nicht auf dem BBCiPlayer:
"Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. "

Die gute Nachricht ist, dass es ein paar Leute aufnehmen wollten, d.h. wir werden hoffentlich eine DVD herumschicken können (oder es bei youtube anschauen).  :)
Every day this bus goes the same old route...

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »
SUPERB documentary ...watched it twice already ...    It's great to hear the whole story from start to present day
and to hear  the pitfalls of being in bands too. 

So sad for Gaye tho , she mustve put up with a lot just for being her !    it shows how the machine works with
the music papers and how trouble could be sparked off cos Gaye's pic was on a 7" single.
Mind you it is one of the most iconic covers ever .   

id also like to see the longer version of the documentary like Rockula mentioned - ---perhaps a DVD release sometime 
would be nice if thats possible?

Fantastic work tho - Thanks to all involved . 8)
Bloody hell !

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
I really think this film deserves to be given a release on DVD, maybe in conjunction with a new TV CD collection that covers his whole career. DJ

Got to agree with you DJ. This deserves a full release along with any other sparlkling gems TV has in his collection.

There's only one documentary I'd lay awake thinking about. I loved it.

Maybe it was the punk theme of the showing but it felt very biaised towards the 70's and TV's most unsuccessful decade the 80's. A bit of a rise and fall without TV's rise to new heights and greater credibilty in the 90's and 21st Century. Which as a long term fan I consider to be his finer years. In my dream it would be part 1 of a trilogy. :D

Tj Sundown

Offline GJ

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
I echo the comments above- fantastic film, just watched it for the second time. Great to see interviews with Laurie (I thought he'd disappeared somewhere in scandanavia?) and Rod. Some stuff I didn't know- never heard of the Martinez brothers! The editing was brilliant and TV comes across as the lovely bloke we know him to be. I'd like to see the full version too one day-maybe at Rebellion?

Offline claret999

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »
Just watched it for a second time myself, brilliant job Jamie!  The announcer said before the Doc started A film about an "Overlooked Genius" -said it all for me .

Offline jock

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mohawks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2012, 01:19:23 PM »
Id certainly never heard of the Martinez brothers either , mind you i didnt keep up with  all of Tims releases and projects in the 80's
so there was loads i didnt know about .

I see its repeated tonight for those who can record the programme ... 

has anyone got the know how to get it from a freeview box - onto DVD ?   

Bloody hell !

Offline Ilove

• Great Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »

This sounds great and I'm really looking forward to be able to watch it!
Hopefully recording it worked at least for one of the TUTS?

Scheiße, ich kann gar nichts sehen. :(

Konntest Du bis vorgestern BBC4 empfangen oder wieso hast Du erwartet etwas zu sehen?  ;)
Es war auch vorher schon klar, dass wir hier das nicht sehen können, auch nicht auf dem BBCiPlayer:
"Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. "

Die gute Nachricht ist, dass es ein paar Leute aufnehmen wollten, d.h. wir werden hoffentlich eine DVD herumschicken können (oder es bei youtube anschauen).  :)

Ja sorry, ich schiebe da nicht immer so den Durchblick, was ich von hier aus empfangen kann und was nicht. Wolfgang ist ja TV-Meister und kann so manchen Sender einstellen, den andere nicht bekommen, aber in diesem Fall hat unsere Sat-Schüssel wohl nicht mitmachen wollen. Schade. :-(

Grüßle
Ilove
Who the fuck is Elvis?

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
If I recall correctly I think the Martinez brothers might have played on  the last John Peel session. Is this right TUTS?

Id certainly never heard of the Martinez brothers either.

Tj Sundown

EKTAFF

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »
If the recorder has picked up the earlier start, then should be ok to do some copies.

Not home till Wednesday, so may not be able to check until Saturday.

Arrived at Interlaken at lunch-time, went into the tourist info to be greeted by a picture of DTH who are playing St Gallen next month.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
Have fun EK Taff.

DTH was one of the bits that I was most surprised to see left off the show (along with the likes of Midnight Creeps, Bored Teenagers and The Adverts playing Valentine tours).

Tj Sundown

Offline PhilC

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »
Really enjoyed the documentary and incredibly enough, the announcer didn't talk over the end credits!!! 'Punk Britannia at the BBC' is on next Friday so let's hope the Adverts are included and they show something something from OGWT other than 'Bored Teenagers'. They're also showing the Arena documentary 'Who Is Poly Styrene?' so that's something else to look forward to...

Recording came out ok so as long as it's allowed, I can make some copies for those who were unable to see it (or those unable to record it).

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
Recording came out ok so as long as it's allowed, I can make some copies for those who were unable to see it (or those unable to record it).

Good to know, thanks. We'll have to wait a few days I guess until everyone who possibly recorded it has told us if it worked. Then we'll get things done.
Every day this bus goes the same old route...