Author Topic: We Who Wait: TV on the TV \o/  (Read 92779 times)

Offline Jamie

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Malcontent Pictures
    • Email
Re: We Who Wait: TV on the TV \o/
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
Haha. Not sure the doc contains any spoilers does it? It's not The Mousetrap... ;)

That said, possible spoilers ahead....

Thanks for your comments, TJ...

I'm not sure that a/the third song was recorded Claret.

The third track was Great British Mistake.

An interesting comment about the right amount of time on each part ov TV's career. It will be interesting to do a time log to see how much time in the video was spent on each decade. For me it felt like the past 20 solo years lasted just a few minutes.

The reason the film compressed the final 20-odd years into a few minutes is that the doc deals with TV's career in stages based upon his key collaborators/modus operandi and breaks the narrative up accordingly, like a journey. It is not a Record Collector album-by-album analysis of the music per se (which I have mostly tried to communicate via sound and image not discussions with talking heads), nor is it meant to be. It is a personal story, which I think is what separates it from a lot of music docs out there and why it seems to have affected people so much.

Following Cheap, the questions that interested me most concerned the costs/benefits of solo touring, perpetual itinerance and complete independence, and how these things affected his long, ongoing struggle to build and connect with an audience and to earn a living as a working musician and songwriter.

I know this means a lot of later songs/albums much-beloved by TUTS (myself included) got sort of passed over without comment, but the message by this point is less the focus of the narrative by this point than the messenger. Besides, ask yourself what you would have been prepared to sacrifice earlier on to make room for broader discussion of the later albums. I think that re-watching the doc you'll agree that the narrative is properly balanced.

For me TV's career has been more of a rise and fall and rise again.

"More of a rise and fall and rise again" than what? You have just described the narrative arc of the documentary exactly. :)

Offline FredNoTimeToBe2021

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
Oh I think there were a few things we didn't expect to see that have already been mentioned on here Jamie!
TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
If I recall correctly I think the Martinez brothers might have played on  the last John Peel session. Is this right TUTS?

Yes. Last few gigs I think and the Peel Session (the latter is featured on my bonus disc of "CoT" remaster)!

I will make a correctly-formatted DVD for contributors in a few weeks time with that missing shot included.

Shame I didn't contribute, eh...  :'(

Anyone having similar trouble, contact Klaus or me for some info via PN.
Every day this bus goes the same old route...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »

An interesting comment about the right amount of time on each part ov TV's career. It will be interesting to do a time log to see how much time in the video was spent on each decade. For me it felt like the past 20 solo years lasted just a few minutes. For me TV's career has been more of a rise and fall and rise again

The first time I watched it, I was a little disappointed that more time wasn't given to Tim's solo career. Watching it again, however, I realised that this period was the most stable musically in his life and that any further time spent on it would only have been of significance to Tim's most ardent followers and far less of interest to the casual viewer. By briefly cataloguing the material released in the last 20 years, I felt that the documentary covered this period quite adequately in the time available. This is one of the reasons why I felt that the documentary gave the right amount of time to each part of Tim's story.

That my thoughts appear to match those of the author of the documentary is pleasing, although giving me the unnerving feeling of having the appearance of being a clever dick! That's just not me.

Dick, yes. Clever?.. Never!!  ;)
Down like a stick...

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2012, 01:22:44 AM »
My comments were probably fueled by how much TV's brilliant work over the past two decades has been largely ignored by so many.

Apologies for giving away some of the content I'd forgotten in my excitement that some people have not seen it yet.

Can't wait to watch it again.
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline Jamie

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Malcontent Pictures
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2012, 02:42:23 AM »
If I recall correctly I think the Martinez brothers might have played on  the last John Peel session. Is this right TUTS?

Yes. Last few gigs I think and the Peel Session (the latter is featured on my bonus disc of "CoT" remaster)!
The version of I Looked at the Sun in the film is from the band's final Peel Session and features the Martinez brothers.

Offline Tj

• The Servant
    • View Profile
    • True  Results - People Change for Good
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
Loved that and all the other little gems like live photo's of Sleeze and the chosen clip from OGWT, Jamie.
"Deep inside you know it's right to lean towards the light"

Tj Sundown
Leaning towards the Starlight

Offline PhilC

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
Hi PhilC, you did get tosee TV's other OGWT song on We Who Wat. It was Drowning Men. Been We Who Waited to see that for 35 years. :D

Would be great if it gets played in full on Punk Britannia at the BBC this Friday and Great British Mistake gets included in Sounds of the Seventies 2.......but I think that may be hoping for too much!

Offline Jamie

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Malcontent Pictures
    • Email

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »
I agree with the comments that the solo years are bit "under-represented" (which might be due to the editing it down to 60mins), also no mention of the bands he sometimes performs more "punky" sets with (might've been a good way to plug the 100 club dvd?).

All in all it is of course an excellent docu, especially for those who never knew what he's done after Explorers or Adverts. And it fitted 100% to the theme of the evening in BBC4.  8)

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »
Excellent documentary. Well done Jamie, you have done a great job. I watched it twice. Now I am playing all of TV's albums.  ;D

Offline Jamie

• Driver Or Passenger?
    • View Profile
    • Malcontent Pictures
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:02 PM »
I agree with the comments that the solo years are bit "under-represented" (which might be due to the editing it down to 60mins)

Nope. The longer version was proportionally split along the same lines. The decision, as mentioned above, was more to do with narrative focus than time.

also no mention of the bands he sometimes performs more "punky" sets with (might've been a good way to plug the 100 club dvd?).

Those band sets - although becoming more common - are the exception not the rule, and would only have confused the picture of Tim's solitary, itinerant touring style which I was keen to impress upon the audience.

The film originally ended with the 100 Club performance of New Day Dawning intercut with the Adverts' performance of the same track at the Vortex. I voluntarily removed it before the 1hr time limit even became an issue because I decided it was a completely unsuitable note on which to end the doc. The current conclusion is much better.

Don't get me wrong - I agree there is plenty more to be said about Tim's current output, but that's a separate film. Perhaps one of you ought to make it.

Offline Steve P

• New Discoverer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
I watched the doc. on iPlayer yesterday.
As one of the few people to have seen the original version I can say categorically that there is nothing 'left out' in the superb documentary that was transmitted. In fact there was a lot more new material that Jamie has managed to squeeze in as well. How did he do it? The pace of the film overall has been speeded up and the interviews cleverly woven into the music sequences. In my opinion this mirrors the freneticism of the music brilliantly and packs a wealth of material into 60 minutes. The new footage of TV's solo performance at the end brings the story right up to date and for me was the right way to close the show.
Well done Jamie. A masterpiece.

Offline Nick

• Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
    • Nick
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
Yeah great job. Thank you Jamie.  :)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »
The current conclusion is much better.

Yeah, that's great! I'm sure you took the right decisions when editing it.  8)