Author Topic: The Damned - Pledge album.  (Read 48444 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
Re: The Damned - Pledge album.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
Not that we care about charts... but "Damned Damned Damned" made no. 3 in the vinyl charts!  8)
Every day this bus goes the same old route...

Offline FredNoTimeToBe2021

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »
Well, I'll be Damned, Damned Damned!
TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »
...they will also be trying to complete a much-anticipated new record, which they opted to self-release via Pledge Music. Though it was planned for release early this year, there have been delays due to the touring schedule, but both musicians say they are finally in the process of writing for the new one — which fans have been foaming for — right now.

“Once we finish the American tour we'll go straight into pre-production on the album and we'll start recording,” Vanian explains via phone from the U.K., a week before the tour kickoff. “We all feel we want to delve into where we were when we started, which was more psychedelia and guitar-driven stuff. There will always be elements of pop music because we love pop. There’s also going to be some dark stuff and more interesting musicality on this one because we really want to push ourselves, and if you don’t challenge yourself, there’s no point in doing it. “
http://www.laweekly.com/music/the-damneds-40th-anniversary-tour-is-still-must-see-punk-rock-theater-8102179

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »
Now I'm a little confused... I should be happy for them signing a record deal and all that... but, wasn't the whole point of doing the "Pledge" thing that labels weren't interested in them for years and they were able to do it without a company looking over their shoulders etc.?  :-\

Captain Sensible on Facebook:
Last nights crazy Los Angeles gig was a typical Damned first show of the tour... some great moments, irreverent banter and a few equipment gremlins for good measure. And although we'd put in a request Alice Bag didn't sing We Don't Need The English ("with their songs of anarchy") but played a lively set nevertheless, shame her ex colleague Patricia Morrison couldn't have been there to see it.

Unlike the gloomy visuals at our gig here last year we had our excellent lighting director Todd this time round and the difference was dramatic... now all we need to do is fix my guitar wireless system.

The fabulous news is just before the show we signed a new record deal with Raw Power / Spinefarm records, a happening label with some big ideas for the band. So there was a celebratory mood backstage with members of Wand, the Greatful Dead's drummers film director son, Slim Jim Phantom, the Wooly Bandits, Monkey from the Adicts, Punks Not Dead director Susan Dynner, and the bassist of the Seeds who informed us that Sky Saxon's jam with us had been his last ever performance. The garage legend certainly didn't disappoint that night either, sachaying into the dressing room with a gorgeous popsie on each arm, and hogging the stage like an irremovable limpet... at the age of 74 too. That's the way to do it!

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
 :o
 :-\
 ???
 ::)
 >:(
 :-X
TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
Well Rockula (you might know him, he sometimes posts on here) explained to me on the Damned messageboard:
There seems to be some confusion about Pledge/Record label.

Pledge albums are crowd funded/self financed for release.

But bands can sub-licence the recordings to an existing record label for distribution.

So anyone who does the Pledge helps them make the album and get their copy earlier. They don't have to get an 'advance' from a label to pay for studio time which they would then have to pay back out of sales. Fans are supplying the funds up front and recording costs are reduced 'cause record labels charge far more.

Later it'll go out for general distribution through the new record label but there'll be no debt.

I think, after a Pledge album goes out to Pledgers, it's usually another 3-6 months before it's in shops or available through Amazon and the like.

It was certainly that way with the last Stiff Little Fingers and Penetration albums.

So everything's okay (for the moment).  8)

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »

:-\
 ???
 ::)
 >:(
 :-X

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
Should I translate it into French or Uli-babble for better understanding?  ;D  :P

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2017, 10:42:29 AM »
I understand it clearly Uli, it just makes me feel :o  :-\  :o  ???  ::)  >:(  :-X

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
https://www.musicweek.com/labels/read/the-damned-sign-to-search-and-destroy-for-first-album-in-10-years/
UK punk icons The Damned have inked a new deal with Raw Power Management imprint Search And Destroy for the release of their upcoming new album.

A joint venture with Spinefarm Records/Universal, Search And Destroy will release the band’s first album in almost 10 years – the follow up to 2008’s So, Who’s Paranoid? A release date and title are yet to be confirmed but Music Week understands the record is likely to drop towards the end of the year.

Despite being signed to a Raw Power imprint, The Damned are not under the company’s management. They are currently under the stewardship of manager Jamal Chalabi.

Craig Jennings, founder and CEO of Raw Power Management said, “The Damned are one of my all-time favourite bands and a massive influence on my own musical worldview. Their impact on subsequent generations of bands cannot be underestimated and we are looking forward to releasing their first new album for almost a decade.”

Chalabi added: “There was so much enthusiasm from the guys at Search and Destroy for working with The Damned that we had no hesitation in signing to the label. They are passionate music fans who run a successful, global business and I have no doubts they will do a great job on this new album.“

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »
Slowly, but surely, the new album is becoming a reality...

From Captain's Facebook:

Gear nerd alert!

With all the live work finally finished we've been in the studio getting back into recording mode - and seeing as 'So, Who's Paranoid?' is getting on for ten years old there's some new toys and gizmos to play with... a couple of which I'd already employed on Charlie Harper's 'Too Much Reality' sessions. First up is Galileo, the amazing Hammond iOS app which not only has proper authentic sounding tone wheel & Leslie Cab effects but also does a bloody good cheesy Farfisa... and if you dig garage punk you gotta love that! The second is Nanostudio, also iOS - which has a bunch of wacky bleeps and space noises that Mr Harper loved.

Heres DV and myself putting Monty through his paces.. the guy is a prog manic and needs to be reigned in occasionally. All good fun though!

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »

Not for the first time, it has been noted that I bear more than a passing resemblance to Mr. Vanian.

Handsome chap... :D
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2017, 05:38:41 PM »
Not for the first time, it has been noted that I bear more than a passing resemblance to Mr. Vanian.

Ah, I'd already wondered how they'd managed to get him into a studio - now I think it's you instead!  ;D

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »

Ah, I'd already wondered how they'd managed to get him into a studio - now I think it's you instead!  ;D

I'm his vocal/stills/video stunt-double: Vanian's speaking voice sounds like the Wicked Witch Of The North, which is the reason why I cover for him in the documentary. Also, he is only about 1.40m/4'6" tall but you always assume that the perspective when viewed from the audience is why he looks so small. This is why he stays in the middle of the stage as if he stood next to anyone else, the jig would be up.

The gig doesn't pay well, sadly.

Tight bastards!  >:(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:45:38 AM by slaughterboy »
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
vocal/stills/video stunt-double

Oh well, at least you do let him sing...  :-X