Author Topic: The Damned reunion  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
The Damned reunion
« on: October 21, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »
I wonder if ending it was part of the reunion agreement!  ;D

It is happening indeed.
Press conference going on at the moment (live stream on FB)! Sound is bad though... pic sometimes freezes.

Five chairs on an empty stage (Roundhouse).

Some guy announced Don Letts, who sat down and announced the original line-up, now answering questions from the journos.

As Dave Vanian said, this is "probably the worst time" to get any band back together...

Anyway, they're planning shows for 2021 (July probably).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:28:52 PM by Uli »
Every day this bus goes the same old route...

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
Re: The Damned reunion
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »
We have bought the outrageously expensive seats in the Circle for the Hammersmith show.

I also added insurance in case it's cancelled or we can't go.

People are doing the usual complaining about it being too expensive for a 'punk' show.

I can't believe people still think The Damned are a 'punk' band.

Anyway, two tickets comes to the same as two good nights out and as we haven't had a good night out since March and probably won't have one 'til July I thought what the hell.

I suspect it will be cancelled or moved to a later date.

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 09:46:54 PM »
Was sitting in a pub earlier wondering wtf my phone was pinging alarmingly.

Ah...now I know  ::)
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 12:07:25 PM »
Sorry for setting off your alarms, slaughterboy.  ;D

I can't believe people still think The Damned are a 'punk' band.

Well they're not alone in that...  ;)

Punk lives again as The Damned reform for 2021 tour
https://ca.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN2762N8

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:33:02 PM »
The first UK punk single... the first of the UK punk bands to tour the US... the first to break up...
and the first to do a "socially distanced press conference"!?  :o

The band held a socially distanced press conference – billed as the first such event since the UK went into its lockdown in March – at the Roundhouse in London on Wednesday (October 21) to promote the dates, which will kick off on July 9, 2021 at London’s Eventim Apollo.

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/read/the-damned-talk-punk-rock-reunions-at-socially-distanced-press-conference/081630

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:22:54 AM »
Tkts booked.

Case of having to. Wouldn't be right not to.

If I keep telling myself this, forking out the money doesn't seem in any way unreasonable!  ;D
Down like a stick...

Offline slaughterboy

• Cast Of Thousands
  • Now tick-free
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 10:25:08 AM »
Sorry for setting off your alarms, slaughterboy.  ;D

Ha! No problem 🙂
Down like a stick...

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »
https://www.musicweek.com/opinion/read/pr-legend-alan-edwards-on-pulling-off-the-uk-s-first-socially-distanced-press-conference/081654

Last week, the original line-up of punk legends The Damned announced they are reuniting for a one-off tour next year, which will kick off on July 9, 2021 at London’s Eventim Apollo. But that wasn’t the only headline of the day. The news was also delivered by the band in person at the Roundhouse in London, for what has been billed as the first socially distanced press conference to be held since the UK went into its lockdown in March. Here, Alan Edwards, founder of Outside Organisation, tells Music Week about the logistics of doing press conferences in the age of Covid-19…

"Obviously, these were particularly strange circumstances to hold a press conference in. In fact, I think it was possibly the first press conference, not just in music, but in any sphere that I’m aware of since the beginning of the year. So, it was a big deal. Many eyes were upon us and we knew we had to get it right.

It was also a reminder that the key to any successful press conference, regardless of the pandemic, is organisation. It takes a team of people to stage an event like this and it’s all about everyone working together. We had a fantastic group of people planning, worrying, strategising day after day in the lead up. It was brilliantly led by management Don Jenkins, Craig Jennings, and Dan Brown from Raw Power; Paul Ryan their agent from UTA and the band promoters, Steve Homer, Ali Castriotis and Anna Golden from AEG. From the get-go, everybody was incredibly constructive and supportive and that’s the difference between OK and great.

We looked at every single detail repeatedly, particularly in view of Covid-19 and the new Tier 2 regulations. Of course, a lot of attention had to be paid to social distancing and masks and so on, but we didn’t want to kill the spirit. Afterall, this was punk rock! We had to strike a balance between anarchy and safety. This was an extraordinary experience, not just for the band but also the media. I think everybody felt a mixture of nervousness and excitement at actually attending a press conference like this. Everybody was very conscious of what was right to do, but our team were there to reassure, guide and remind if necessary, at all times, as were Cat and the Roundhouse team. 
We were aware that some media were interested in the angle that doing a press conference was a story in itself. We went to people like ITN, Sky and AP, who wouldn’t necessarily be covering a punk reunion tour, as well as core music publications like Mojo and Uncut. People were amazed we were doing it at all. They wanted to know how it would work and whether it would be OK. We were very thoughtful in spreading our net as wide as possible. It wasn’t just limited to fans of the band.

For those journalists who were unable to be there, we ensured they could virtually be there via a Zoom link. There were a few glitches, but this enabled writers from The Daily Mail, Metro, i-News and more, who couldn’t make it for one reason or another, to participate. We also provided B-roll footage for Sky and others, as well as audio clips for radio stations.

I did an intro before Don Letts came on stage and talked about my office in Covent Garden back in the '70s, and how my landlord was the owner of The Roxy. In those days Covent Garden was a disused fruit market, our office had a staircase with slats missing, we had no electricity or heating. One winter, I remember we had to break the furniture up and burn it inside the room to keep warm. What the health and safety would have made of that, that’s anybody’s guess!

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 07:10:37 PM »
Another date added for London due to demand.

Saturday the 10th.

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 05:02:48 PM »
https://johnwombat.wordpress.com/2020/12/08/about-damned-time-talking-damned-reunion-shows-with-brian-james/

More than thirty years since the band played their last reunion shows, I asked Brian how the 2021 reformation of the original Damned lineup came about.

Brian James: The current Damned manager phoned me and asked if I would be up for doing it. It looked like Captain was up for doing it, previously he’d never wanted to do it because of some ongoing feud between him and Rat, which I don’t know anything about and really don’t want to know anything about. So, he said, “Captain’s up for it, Dave’s up for it, Rat’s up for it, are you up for it?” I said, “Yeah, though it never rains but it pours because I’ve just been invited to reform the Lords of the New Church to go in conjunction with this Vive Le Rock award I’m meant to be getting. Stiv obviously can’t do it because he’s not here anymore, sadly, so we’re looking to get Mike Monroe in as he was a friend of Stiv’s and the Lords back from his time in Hanoi Rocks.” The call about reforming the Damned came just three or four weeks after plans were being made for the Lords, this was just before the Covid-19 pandemic kicked in and everything got placed on hold.

We’ve done the press launch and photos now, everyone seems really upbeat about things, it’s great. I think Dave had been rooting for it for the last few years but Captain had been pretty adamant that it wouldn’t happen. But, he’s had a complete change of heart. Next, we’ll get to do some rehearsals and have some fun doing gigs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 05:07:18 PM by Uli »

Offline Uli

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 10:59:06 AM »
Lots of Brian interviews these days...

https://louderthanwar.com/brian-james-interview-2/

LTW: In a year that has seen many unexpected developments, one of the more surprising has been the announcement of the original Damned line-up re-uniting?

Brian: No one was more surprised than me, amazed in fact. We had talked about the idea around fifteen years ago but it came to nothing. I think the problem then was that Dave and Captain didn’t want to put their current line-up on hold for a year or however long it would be. I think they were scared that people would leave or whatever so they decided not to do it.

Also. There’s always been a weirdness between the Captain and Rat so I just thought “Oh well, there you go, some things are meant to happen and some things aren’t.” It seemed like a shame and then, lo and behold, this year, about a month before the Lockdown started I get a phone call from their manager asking if I’d be up for doing it. Of course, my first question was “How does Captain feel about it?”, because he had a bone of contention with Rat; I don’t know what it’s about and I don’t care really. But he said that it wasn’t a problem and that everyone was up for it and if I fancied it he’d give me the details. I listened politely and thought “Yeah, why not?” It’s now or never really as you never know, everyone’s getting older and all these bleedin’ disease are flying round. Rat actually said not long ago that it’s a shame we aren’t doing any reunion as one day three of us would be stood round the other’s grave saying “we should have done it you know!”.

It comes as a relief really to be honest. Also, with Lockdown being on, I’m waiting to get back in the studio and finish my album, this is a kind of a special thing and I think we need to do it. It’s not good to dwell on negatives and if everyone is up for it, we should do it. I think I will only really believe it when all four of us are standing up there making some noise, but it’s got the potential to be a lot of fun. There’s a lot of fans out there who have never seen the original line-up so hopefully they will love it

LTW: It’s a typical Damned twist that virtually the same day as the announcement of the original line up reunion is made, the band are at Number One in the vinyl singles chart with a different line up.

Ha, ha yes. As you say there is never anything straightforward with The Damned. There always has to be a quirky twist but they all kind of make sense in a funny kind of way. There’s quite a history of The Damned with lots of different periods and styles and this will probably come as a shock to some of the fans who come and see us play. There are a lot of people who may come along because they like Eloise and that style, thinking that’s what The Damned do and boy are they in for a shock!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:00:54 AM by Uli »

Offline FredNoTimeToBe2021

• The Servant
    • View Profile
TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 12:18:36 PM »
Reunion shows postponed:

"To all The Damned Fans, We’ve tried our absolute utmost to make the July dates happen but with things as they are, we can’t see any way that any indoor standing show without social distancing is going to happen this summer. And this needs to be a real show, nothing else cuts it. So, we’ve taken the decision to move the shows to February 2022 in the hope that we will all be free of these Damned restrictions and can put on the show that we all want to do; uncompromisingly exciting with everyone in the room! This is also the anniversary month of 45 years since the release of “Damned Damned Damned" All tickets bought will be valid for these new dates. We will announce exact new dates and exciting full supporting line up on 7th April. Damned Covid ! Bring Back Live Music – Let Boris Know How You Feel !!!! - The Damned."

TV SM!TH - for GREAT songs "and the beer and the company"! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0BH5vU2hs)

Offline Rockula

• Global Moderator
  • Cast Of Thousands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 12:27:09 PM »
I think it was inevitable.

Even if the doubtful 'roadmap' was accurate there'd still be only a couple of weeks between end of lockdown and the gig in which time the venue has to work out what restrictions are still in place, social distancing, seat spacing and mask enforcement.

I'm happy to wait until February and be double sure Covid has (mostly) fucked off.

• The Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 01:26:14 PM »
Ditto!

Well said Sir!